Article On Surgery on a beating heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

Surgery On A Beating Heart
NEW YORK, June 11, 2003

More than a half a million people need heart bypass surgery every year, and doctors are now able to reduce some of the risks by performing the operation directly on a beating heart.

The Early Show medical correspondent Dr. Emily Senay explains that bypass surgery is one of the most effective way of fixing a heart that is no longer getting enough oxygen from clogged blood vessels that feed it.

Normally, doctors stop the heart during surgery to hold it still during the delicate procedure ? using a heart-lung machine to circulate blood through the body. But in some cases, doctors are now using a procedure called beating heart surgery. The latest technology lets the surgeon perform the operation as the heart continues to beat, using a device to stabilize the area of the heart that requires surgery.

It's a technique that's safe and effective, says Senay. And, it is gaining more acceptance in the medical community. She says the procedure may be an option for certain patients who may not be suited for the heart-lung machine. It also reduces the risk of complications associated with the use of the heart-lung machine, including mental confusion, memory loss and stroke.

It is not fully understood what causes neurological complication in bypass patients, but a new study from the University of Hawaii shows for the first time that tiny microscopic blood clots released into the bloodstream during bypass surgery are 30 times more abundant in patients who went on the heart-lung machine than those who had beating heart surgery.

The researcher also found that patients on the heart-lung machine had reduced blood flow to certain areas of the brain.

Senay says a candidate for the beating heart surgery would be someone who might be at a greater risk from being put on the heart-lung machine, such as an elderly patient or someone with other medical problems.

Some doctors prefer to operate on elderly people without the heart-lung machine, because studies suggest the elderly tend to have neurological complications more often and are at higher risk of a stroke afterward.

Senay says the new heart procedure does not make the heart-lung machine obsolete. In fact, for some patients, the beating heart surgery is not an option. Many doctors want to be sure that beating heart surgery has the same good, long-lasting results that traditional surgery has shown in the long term.

Senay says the technology is still evolving. But if the long-term results are good, then its use is likely to increase in the future.

© MMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Hey Ross,
Thanks for the information. It is so amazing what they can do anymore in the medical field. Thanks again
Dave

Keep your fires small!
Heart Center of the Rockies

Forgot to give Granbonny credit for the article. She sent it to me in email. Silly hen should have posted it. :D

Ross, thanks to you and Miss Granbonny for the article. It is amazing to me the advancements man has made in my lifetime.

Lindberg had not flown the Atlantic when I was born, nor would he for three more years. The advancements in Medicine are far too many to mention.

I am glad that I have lived to see some of them and gladder still that most of us are still here because of them.

Ross - Thanks for posting the article. This, of course, nicely ties in to the various posts we have had on pumpheadedness. One of these posts shows a picure of the device they use to spread the ribs with the other devices attached to it. These are the little arms or fingers they use to keep the beating heart from moving vbery much while they do their surgery thing. Pretty amazing stuff and I'm glad I'm not in the surgery to observe - fraid I'd be on the floor. Chris

beating heart surgery

beating heart surgery

Hi Ross,

Just wanted to let you know that I visit people in the hospital who have had heart surgery - Mended Hearts sponsors these visits. I've been seeing a lot of people who have gone thru bypass using the beating heart surgery (I've also heard it called off-pump). Wow, you wouldn't believe how good they look! It's done on old and young alike - it just depends on which arteries need to be bypassed. When I see the patients they have usually had their surgeries 2-4 days earlier. They are so alert and energetic that it is hard to believe that they just had heart surgeries. I didn't feel this good for weeks after my surgery. The drs here are also stitching up a bit differently - from the inside -and the scars are much smaller and hardly red at all. I've never seen the beating heart done on anyone with valve replacements .... yet.

Sharon

Sharon I don't think we ever will see it done for valve replacements. Who knows, I could be wrong. :)

"It is not fully understood what causes neurological complication in bypass patients"

Ah Ha!~ See some of us are not crazy. I am convinced my migraines and visual auras are pump induced!

Ross..... I did see mention of valve surgery on beating heart. Will see if I can find the article. There are going to be many many advancements in the future that will benefit us all! :)

Latest posts

Back