Arrhythmia heart-beat stops improvement!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggis basher

I am Scottish, but living in Sydney Australia
Hi All.
Wondered if anyone else suffers the same problem? The above seems to deter me from running too fast.My cardio put me on Mag/Min tablets, but for some reason, my mind keeps worrying all the time.
I wish that I had never been a decent runner when younger, for my 'competitive spirit' is still so fierce.
I am terribly grateful for my new valve, but find it difficult to really enjoy my runs.
See Ya
Brian

I've had much the opposite. My rhythm issue (PVCs) gets better with exercise. The first couple of months after surgery, I got PVCs so bad that I would have actual symptoms, like weakness and dizziness. I would just go for a brisk 15-20 minute walk and get much relief. After exercising even harder and over a longer period of time, I hardly have any PVCs at all and mostly do not know it when they do occur. What kind of arrhythmia do you get, something benign like PVCs/PACs or more serious like fibrillations?

I'm like Clay. It's at rest that I have to worst rhythm and it gets smoother when I run. At times, I've gotten down into the 30s resting and it doesn't feel good, so I go up & down the stairs to bring it back up. Normal resting HR for me is 55.

Thank Sumo/Clay for replies. In a way I am like you both - when idle, my heart rhythm is very erratic, but running - seems to steady. Problem is when I stop - sometimes feel dizzy/tired, and very irregular beats!
I have been suffering bad depression lately, more than likely that doesn't help!
Brian

I used to have that bit when my heart rate would gradually drop so low that it would scare me. Once or twice it happened at the gym as I was getting ready for a work-out. I remember telling myself "I'd better get going or this thing may just stop."

We attributed my low resting heart rate to 30 years of running/jogging, but at time of surgery they changed their mind and diagnosed me with brady/tachycardia. My heart rate would drop abnormally low at rest, then rise abnormally high under exercise. It just went nuts after surgery, so I now have the pacemaker. Sometimes I can outrun the pacer, but usually not. (I have some natural pacing, but only a moderate percentage of the time.)

July 2014
I had surgery for mitral valve repair (not replacement) and I would walk 20 minutes at a reasonable rate every day. After 2 months I upped it to 3 kilometers and at first not too fast. Then on July 2nd I walked that route very fast, got too busy in the morning with minor things to do and then ended up with an arrhythmia. Took 2 days to get it under control. Anyone else have a similar experience? Although most people said my recover was fast it seems one has to still be careful until the 3 month mark.
age 63
good health
surgery April 28 2014
mitral valve repair

Latest posts

Back