Arm pain post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimjam

I'm 5 days post BAVR op and have no real pain other than down my arms - feel like they've been trampled! All very common I'm sure - I'm just putting it out there if anyone else had this and any hints and tips, massage etc would be great. I'm walking walking walking and resting :) thanks in advance !!
Jim
Sydney

Hi Jim,

I am 14 days post op and had exactly the same, chest pain wasn't that bad - but I would get really intense arm pain, both left and right. I found that heat bags helped a lot and figured it was generally attributable to my low blood pressure and poor circulation.

Arm pain has gone, now just dealing with an irritable cough that is killing me ! Pillows do help.

Hope you find some relief from the pain.

This is probably due to the wierd positions they often twist us into on the operating table. They do all sorts of things to maximize their ability to get into their work.

This is probably due to the wierd positions they often twist us into on the operating table. They do all sorts of things to maximize their ability to get into their work.

Sorry about the arm pain! I think heart centers probably individualize their approach to set up for surgery as my arms were positioned tightly at my sides during my avr and aneurysm repair. I asked about this at preop the day before surgery with the surgical team as I had concerns re a shoulder injury and was aware of the potential for very severe back/arm/shoulder pain post surgery as reported here on this board. I was assured that the procedure included no contortions and that the arms were positioned as close to the body as possible. I was very pleased to have very little discomfort at all from the surgery. I did have on hand a heating pad(moist heat) that I bought and brought with in anticipation of back/shoulder pain but it ended up being a lap heater for me. Moist heat is preferred if you have a chance to acquire a pad with that feature.
Perhaps this is a surgeons preference...maybe a question for the surgeon presurgery(for others reading this thread) if there are concerns. I had my surgery at The Cleveland Clinic (Ohio campus).

Hello there,

I am almost three weeks from having OHS and my mitral valve repaired and I have most pain in my right arm along with some numbness in certain spots in that arm seems like that they are not too worried about it right now as they believe it was just from the surgery. The only thing that does help me is Ibprofin (sp) that is not over the counter but prescribed by my surgeon.

TomG

I am still suffering from shoulder, arm pain 19 months post-op. I get a tightness in my shoulders and it goes up my neck into my head and down my arms. I'm not supposed to take anything aside from Tylenol due to the warfarin (Tylenol is about as useful as swallowing tictacs without the minty freshness). I have a rare connective tissue disorder that makes me prone to getting aneurysms so no massage or chiropractor for me. I finally broke down last month and started Physical Therapy. He said heat is good and also gave me exercises to do every two hours. So far so good.

You will likely go into cardiac rehab, correct? When you start that and are able to do the arm exercises, that should help you significantly.

Hi,
I too had mitral valve repaired (6 weeks ago) and am still experiencing right arm and shoulder blade discomfort. I also have numbness in areas of my right upper chest and shoulder blade which is managed by Tylenol (625mg) perscribed by my surgeon. Occasional heat pad applied also helps give some relief.

Latest posts

Back