Arm Mobility & weight

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic8Ball

I've read a few snippets over the past couple of days about arm mobility after OHS.

Obviously they are cutting open your chest but do you regain full mobility after 3months/6months etc or do you always have issue with putting arms above your head etc.

Also, i understand the weight lifting restriction but is that a permanent thing or do you get to lift more and more as time goes on...i'm not a weight lifter or anything like that but i would like to move furniture around without the need to call assistance in the future.

You can gain full mobility and raise your hands/arms above your head. A good daily exercise will be to lift a 10 lb. weight ball over your head while bending one knee and squating....balancing the ball above your head...then bend the other knee and squat while lifting the ball above your head...repeat several times.
With regards to the amount of weight you may be able to lift safely without harming your replacement valve, a cardiologist will tell you to lift no more than 10 lbs while a surgeon may tell you that you may lift 50 lbs or up to 40% of your body weight (ensuring you breathe in/out while lifting to minimize blood pressure). Lifting furniture is probably NOT a good idea....

Mobility

Mobility

I was able to lift my hands to my head to wash my hear 3 days after surgery. I found it a bit strange for the first 3 weeks until my sternum had started to heal as I could feel it grinding when I moved my arms into some positions. 6 weeks post surgery I was able to catch up on some of the yard work I couldn?t do in the preceding 15 months from since I first became ill. I was pruning bushes above head height with a saw and lopping shears. Neither the cardio nor surgeon gave me any lifting restrictions after 3 months; however after reading others comments here I limit my weights at the gym to what I can lift without having to hold my breath as this spikes blood pressure. :)

I took Yoga classes after 6 weeks, recommended by my PT, and it did help a lot. Stretching all parts of the body and a lot of core as well. It did help with mobility. I also stretch everyday as well. My OHS booklet came with some recommended exercises in it too. I did those religiously as well.

As far as the weight lifting, my Card said 50lbs was the max in the gym. High reps and low weight. One time heavy lifting is okay. He said short spurts of heavy lifting is okay as long as you don't do it everyday and it's no repititions. In otherwords, HELPING somebody lift a couch would be okay after you FULLY recover. Just don't lift 20 couches in one day :) Of course, this is what my Card said. You may want to ask your Card for his guidelines. Apparently they do differ.

I guess i need to become educated in to what raises your blood pressure and also speak to my cardiologist.

It's nice to hear of the quick recoveries, being 36 and fairly fit for everyday life and its demands i don't want to turn into an old bloke overnight.

I guess i'm not expecting too much but to hear of people washing their own hair 3 days after fills me with hope, as does being able to do things in moderation.

So is the danger that your blood pressure will go so high that an artery will pop or a stitch will burst and begin to leak or what? surely things aren't that delicate that you risk something like that by just holding your breath.....should i be sared of constipation :eek: i've had to hold my breath a few times in my life to get things moving again....wouldn't want to die on the toilet...not cool :cool:

Magic8Ball said:
So is the danger that your blood pressure will go so high that an artery will pop or a stitch will burst and begin to leak or what? surely things aren't that delicate that you risk something like that by just holding your breath.....

I am also wondering what the danger is with having a spike in your blood pressure while lifting weights. Obviously having high blood pressure is a bad thing, but what is the risk during short-term increases in BP? If anyone has an answer to this please post.
I am currently stuck between a cardiologist who says to limit weightlifting to 70lb max and surgeon who says no restrictions. I have read posts on lifting before and consensus seems to be to take it easy - I am just wondering what the specific danger is w/ spike in BP. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back