Aortic Stenosis need a second opinion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dani's nana

I am going to another cardiologist 1/29/16 for a second opinion on my stenosis. I have a pressure gradient of 65 and a valve area of .7cm2. following my last echo of 12/21/15 I have the following symptoms. Very short of breath even when laying down on my back. So tired that I am going to bed for the night about 7pm. Talk about not having a life, I work until 5:30; Chest pains first cardiologist gave me imdur to help with the pain about 30 days ago. But said it is to early to for any surgery. I also had an ischemic stroke 1/7/14 for which they said there was not any reason for. I still have a little weakness in my right hand and some speech problems.

I am not sure what questions to ask the new cardiologist and was wondering if I should have made an appointment with a doctor that can perform surgery. Am I even a candidate with having a stroke. From what I am researching I should not be waiting for a new valve with those kind of reading and symptoms.

Thanks in advance

What tests have you had done? And which of these did the cardiologist based his opinion on? I think it's good that you are getting a second opinion. It is the cardiologist who will refer you to a surgeon when the time comes but the surgeon doesn't do the testing.

You don't mention how long you've had these symptoms. Can you give us some more background?

Oh my I typed this whole long thing and lost it.... on my phone though. I am not very good with my smart phone.

I have had an echocardiogram. They have not done a stress test since 2013 because of not being able to take one anymore. My pulmonary doctor said there is nothing he can do as it it no my lungs causing the problem. I have not seen him for a long time. Dr J (first cardiologist) he based his opinion on the echo.

My friend who does echocardiogram for a living suggest I get a second opinion. She said everything they are ever taught in school is when you have severe stenosis you need to take some action.

I have been having shortness of breath since 2010 which is why I went to a heart screening from which I learned I had AS. I first went to a female doctor who liked my blood pressure so low I thought I was going to die. 70/38 most times. I changed doctors in 2012 and started seeing Dr J. He was the one who told me I had a bicuspid valve. I really like Dr J but not that I am having severe AS diagnosis, I question why he wants to wait. I asked him how long he was going to mask my symptoms when he started me on the imdur. I really didn't get a straight answer from him. My friend, Kay, has a friend, Pat, who also went to the same group of doctors and when Pat got her second opinion, the doctor said that she waited to long and now has to have therapy ( I don't know what it consists of) every week.

Shortness of breath for years upon doing anything strenuous. Than climbing 7 steps (I live in a split foyer) will leave me short of breath. Now I am having labored breathing at all times and very short of breath just laying down to go to sleep. No swelling or not much of my feet and ankles. Chest pains on and off for a couple of months, where I thought I was having a heart attack. When it became more frequent and more intense Dr J started me on the imdur. I also have trace pulmonic valvular regurgitation and trace mitral regurgitation. mild to moderate left ventricular hypertrophy . The aortic valve leaflet is severely restricted . This is info on my last echo.

I am sorry if I have repeated myself or put my thoughts out of order. I have a hard time keeping my thoughts focused after my stroke.

Thanks for your response. I am excited and scared to see Dr F on Friday.
Darla

First, I am not a doctor -- just another patient like yourself. . . but, I have dealt with BAV and aortic stenosis for over 10 years, through valve replacement, etc.

Just based upon your pressure gradient and valve area, I am truly surprised that your cardio would recommend waiting. I had fairly similar statistics but I was asymptomatic, so my cardio told me "You will tell me when it is time." The fact that you have 2 of the 3 cardinal symptoms (those being shortness of breath, chest pain and fainting), I would think a cardio would opt for surgery sooner, rather than later.

Definitely go for that second opinion. Let us know what they say, and we can try to help.

I agree with epstns. I don't know why your doctor is hesitant about doing surgery, unless he is concerned about complications due to other issues. Please let us know what the second doctor says. We care.

dani's nana;n862135 said:
Oh my I typed this whole long thing and lost it.... on my phone though. I am not very good with my smart phone.
don't fret, it wasn't you. The pages time out quickly and so I've learned to hit post and then edit it so I don't loose things. Its pretty rare someone is reading in the few minutes I'm typing it.

Thank you both. I will post as soon as I can on Friday. My mom died from cardio myopathy at the age of 62. Her doctor attributed to woman anxiety issues until her autopsy

2nd opinion is a good idea. No reason you can't go to a surgeon for a 2nd opinion. Before my surgery, I went to a surgeon 1st and only went to a Cardiologist after for a 2nd opinion. Now I'm under the care of a Cardiologist and I thought he was being conservative so I went to a surgeon for a 2nd opinion (and he agreed with the Cardiologist).

I never did like him and as soon as I was 18 I switched to his partner. Dr S told my step dad that he never knew about my mom's fainting spells. My step dad confronted him when we were told she had died and said I was at the appointment with Myrna when you told her it was just issues a woman gets as she ages....

I have not slept well at all this past week. Until last night... though I was awake several time I was able to go back to sleep. I am relieved to see my second opinion cardiologist today

I have severe aortic valve stenosis and had a ct scan of my chest today. Which they found some abnormality for something I was born with and have to have a ct scan on my brain on Monday before I see the heart surgeon. All prayers would be deeply appreciated! God Bless!

Back