Anyone recently have surgery at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat J

I am scheduled to have my Aortic Valve replaced on Feb 12th. Everyone I have talked with in my area has had their surgery at Washington Hospital Center. Would love to talk with someone who has recently had surgery at Johns Hopkins.

Hello Pat J,

I'm not sure what qualifies as "recently", but my valve replacement was done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore in May 2011.

They are one of the most highly rated hospitals in the country for heart surgery, and I have only good things to say about them.

My experience with them was not typical, as mine was an emergency surgery due to endocarditis of my native valve. The regional hospital that first correctly diagnosed the problem realized that they could not handle it, and had me transferred up to Hopkins in Balitmore. I truly believe that I would not be alive now had I been sent to a different hospital with less resources than Johns Hopkins.

Based on my experience, I believe that you will not regret choosing Johns Hopkins as the place to have your heart surgery, and you would be hard pressed to find a better hospital.

Hope this helps.

Did you wake up with the ventilator still in?

How was your pain managed?

Did they take blood often?

How long were you in the hospital?

Were you able to walk around the hospital or did you have to stay on the cardiac floor?

Did you see your surgeon post surgery?

What was your biggest surprise about the surgery?

Were you too warm or too cool?

Could you tell me about the day to day at the hospital once your were alert enough to be aware?

Going for my pre op tomorrow.

Thanx for responding!

Pat

I'll try to answer as best I can, but please keep in mind that mine was not a typical case.

Did you wake up with the ventilator still in?
No. I have no recollection of the ventilator at all. The anesthesiologist even told me that their goal is to make sure that this is the case. They did their job well for both my valve replacement surgery and my follow-up leg bypass surgery (a complication from the endocarditis) which was about 8 months later. I have no memory of the breathing tube from either surgery.

How was your pain managed?
No problems for me. They give you pain medication as needed. I had almost no pain from the heart surgery, and didn't need the oxycodone or other hard stuff. A few Tylenol pills were all I needed or wanted. But, they have all the stronger stuff there if you need/want it.

Did they take blood often?
Yes. but in my case they had put in a few semi-permanent vein ports through which they could inject antibiotic drugs/fluids/etc, and draw blood when needed, so there were no needles for routine blood tests. I can't say whether this is typical or not. But, you can expect to be woken up at least once during the night following surgery for the blood draws.

How long were you in the hospital?
I was in the hospital for about 3 weeks, mostly in the intensive care units. Again, my case was not typical and I was almost dead before the surgery, so I would not expect a routine valve replacement would require hospitalization for more than about a week. I expect your surgeon will be able to give you a good estimate for your particular situation.

Were you able to walk around the hospital or did you have to stay on the cardiac floor?
Because of a complication in my leg from the endocarditis (embolisms blocking blood flow to my foot), I had difficulty walking at all, but again this is not typical. They encourage you to walk around the cardiac floor for exercise. You will likely be dragging a pole with wheels around with you with various drug drips, so you won't be going all that far. By the time you feel well enough to walk around the larger hospital area, they will probably send you home.

Did you see your surgeon post surgery?
Because mine was an emergency surgery, I never saw (and I never got to pick) my surgeon before the surgery, but I did meet him after my surgery. As an emergency case, I was assigned the first available surgical slot with the first heart surgeon that could take me.
Fortnately, the surgeons at Hopkins are all top-notch, and he did a great job.
You will have follow-up with the surgeon before you are released, and again about 5 weeks afterwards.
Speak with your surgeon for his input on this, and what he typically does, during your pre-op appointment.

What was your biggest surprise about the surgery?
Again, my case is not typical, so part of my surprise was waking up at all. But, on a more helpful note, I suppose it was being able to hear the heart valve ticking. It is not a problem or annoying, but because I had never researched heart valves prior to my surgery, I was not aware that the mechanical valves make an audible ticking.

Were you too warm or too cool?
After I left the intensive care ward for a room in the cardiac care unit, my room was in an older building that I believe is no longer the cardiac care ward since they built the new center. One night the heat was set too low, but I mentioned it to the nurse and she adjusted the thermostat for me.

Could you tell me about the day to day at the hospital once your were alert enough to be aware?
Well, since that was my first time ever in a hospital as a patient, I don't have much of a basis of comparison. They are pretty efficient and they take care of things well. Visiting hours for cardiac patients are not restricted, so visitors can show up any time. Hopkins has a deal with some local hotels to offer discounted rates for family and friends visiting patients. Check their website for details.
They have a Wi-Fi network that serves the hospital, so bring a laptop and you can stream Netflix or do other internet-based activities while you recover.
The food was OK but a bit on the dry side. I recommend the tuna salad plate, which was a nice change from the dried-out chicken. If you doctor doesn't mind, you can get your visitors to bring in some great crab-cakes from any of several local Baltimore restaurants. Depends on whether they want you on a restricted "cardiac diet" or not.

Going for my pre op tomorrow.
Good luck, and I'm sure you are in good hands.

Tuna salad plate it is!

THANK YOU so much. The ventilator is the thing I'm most worried about....

Anyone recently have surgery at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore

Hi Pat J,
You said you were most worried about the ventilator, so I thought I would just share my experience. I did wake up with it in, and it was weird. You can't take a breath, but you don't feel out of breath. I knew I wouldn't be able to talk, but didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to make any sound at all. I could write and mostly just wrote that I wanted the tube out. I think they pulled it within about 5-10 minutes after I woke up, and then I think I went right back to sleep. It was annoying and weird, but it didn't hurt. In my opinion nothing to be afraid of. I'm hoping it helps to know that even if you do wake up before they take you off (which may not happen), it's not horrible or unbearable.

I found that none of the things that concerned me prior to surgery ended up being as bad as what I had imagined. In any case, it was over quickly and I was back at home in less than a week.

I too woke up still on the vent. I went in real worried about that, kept telling my husband I didnt want to wake up still on the vent and then I did and my husband said I was on the vent and awake for about an hour and half. I am not sure why that long but I can say i was really only aware of it for maybe ten or more minutes that I can remember, I think I kept going in and out. As stated in previous post its not that big of a deal. It wasnt as bad as I had thought it would be so dont worry so much about that. My biggest surprise about the whole ordeal was how tolerable it all was, not a picnic but very doable. Good luck to you and try to not worry so, focus on your recovery.

Latest posts

Back