Anyone Medication-Free after valve surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No meds for me, and a first class medical (one year at a time) puts me back in the cockpit. Retirement was fun while it lasted, in a Travis McGee sort of way.

Last edited:
I am really glad to see that many of you are med free after about a year . I am one month out and still on lasix , coumadin , stool softeneers ,beta blockers , heart regulators and some pain meds. But something( probably the combo ) makes me so naseaus . No food appeals to me , my mouth tastes awful and frankly , i don't know what to do. I am sick of being on all the drugs and want to get off some of them. My cardiologist is out of town for a week... sigh . I am going to talk with our pharmacist about all the drugs and see what they make of the combo. Oddly , i haven't really lost much weight ,. Food just does not interest me and i cannot stand to cook it now. ANy ideas ? thanks

I am really glad to see that many of you are med free after about a year . I am one month out and still on lasix , coumadin , stool softeneers ,beta blockers , heart regulators and some pain meds. But something( probably the combo ) makes me so naseaus . No food appeals to me , my mouth tastes awful and frankly , i don't know what to do. I am sick of being on all the drugs and want to get off some of them. My cardiologist is out of town for a week... sigh . I am going to talk with our pharmacist about all the drugs and see what they make of the combo. Oddly , i haven't really lost much weight ,. Food just does not interest me and i cannot stand to cook it now. ANy ideas ? thanks

I'm sure its frustrating to be on any meds especially more than one. Taking meds for several months after surgery is probably not too uncommon. Sometimes people get used to the drugs side effects and it doesn't effect them as much. Doesn't hurt to rework your drug plan and get as much info as possible. You may find yourself off of most these drugs within a fews months.

I was on so many meds in hospital that they too made me queasy so I can sympathise with your plight! I was sent home with a pile of stuff to take, three of them to do with "bowel action" - one of these was a sickly syrup that just made me want to vomit, yuk!!:rolleyes2: Once back home I didn't take any of the latter 3 things. I also had something to calm/line the stomach so it could cope with all these drugs - once the initial pack ran out I stopped these too. After 5 or 6 weeks the pain meds were not required either.

So gradually I have removed five things from my medication list (my choice to do so) and I feel just fine. The remaining ones I will have to seek proper advice about - I'm hoping I may be able to drop between one and three other heart-related drugs I am on when I see my surgeon next week for my post-op check up. The Warfarin is a permanent fixture for me, of course (I have a mechanical valve), but hopefully I won't have to take much else in future. Fingers crossed!

I think checking with your pharmacist is a good idea - see if there is anything minor you could safely give up now. But having said that, I have also heard that OHS patients do sometimes have taste/appetite problems for a while so what you are experiencing may not necessarily be a result of all the tablets you are taking. I expect only time will tell! Good luck, anyway.

Juan is med free as well. Just taking warfarin and 1 baby aspirin.

I was off all heart meds by 10 weeks after aortic valve replacement. Just last Friday at rehab I went into A-fib twice. I was not aware of any rapid heartbeat. The day before, I went to the garden to pull some mountain mint that was choking my lilies; I had expected to weed for about an hour but actually worked for 5 hours. The aroma was intoxicating. I had nothing to drink all that time so I was probably dehydrated. That morning I had taken an antihistamine, which can make me drowsy. I was tired all the way home from rehab and when I was within a few miles I fell asleep for a split-second before a fortuitous bump woke me up. It was very scary. Yesterday at rehab my rhythm was normal but now I will worry every time I "wire up." Today I picked blueberries in an open field with no shade and this evening I am drinking lots of water.

Back