Anyone Medication-Free after valve surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredmls

I'm 8 mos. post-surgery (avr) and wondering if anyone is completely heart medication free after having surgery?
I was so happy when my cardiologist reduced my metropolol from 50mg to 25 mg daily. However, I started having frequent migraine auras - something I hadn't had in years. Saw a neurologist and she asked if I had any recent change in medications. When I told her about the metropolol she immediately said that's it. Apparently beta blockers are used in migraine treatment. NOw I'm back on another 1/2 tab per day.
I'm also taking a full aspirin a day (went into afib after surgery) but am concerned about long term use since I only have one kidney.
Any hope for being medication free?

Any hope for being medication free?

I doubt it. After a few months on a couple of drugs post surgery, I went almost 40 years taking only one pill (warfarin) per day. In my late 60s, I began a daily regimen of a couple of blood pressure meds that were more age related and had little to do with the valve. The good news is that I take fewer meds than most of my friends:tongue2:.

I am "heart' medication free (touch wood) after 1.5 years out. I hope it stays that way as long as possible. ;)

I had to discontinue beta blockers a few months after surgery, as I had some nasty side effects.
There are different schools of thought re: aspirin. There were a few threads that discussed this topic and different surgeon's recommendations.
After 3 months post-op, I was told I could discontinue aspirin as I am in the 'under 50 age category', female, at low risk for coronary artery disease and have a tissue valve.'Of course, every case is different.

Last edited:
I am "heart' medication free (touch wood) after 1.5 years out. I hope it stays that way as long as possible. ;)

I had to discontinue beta blockers a few months after surgery, as I had some nasty side effects.
There are different schools of thought re: aspirin. There were a few threads that discussed this topic and different surgeon's recommendations.
After 3 months post-op, I was told I could discontinue aspirin as I am in the 'under 50 age category', female, at low risk for coronary artery disease and have a tissue valve.'Of course, every case is different.

I think as OG mentioned the chances of being off any meds post op probably have something to do with your age. Justin is 23 has had 5 OHS and isn't on any meds, he was on dig and lasix as a baby until he recovered from his 2nd surgery around the age of 2 when they let him outgrow his dose. He's been on aspirin short term after some of his surgeries or when he got 2 stents, but otherwise no meds.

On the other hand many people who never had heart surgery or known heart problems ar told to start taking an aspirin or baby aspirin a day, "just in case" So it seems to me many people with tissue valves that are told to stay on aspirin after he first few months might be more because they are in or cose to the age group where some docs think everyone should be on aspirin and not because they need it because of their surgery.

At 6-ish months post-AVR (& MV repair), I'm only taking the same daily Vit. D and baby Aspirin that I was taking pre-op. I consider that being "med-free", though others may disagree about the 81 mg ASA. Based on some recent reading -- about the modest benefits of baby-ASA in averting MIs, and the heart-and-stroke DISbenefits of NSAIDS (of which ASA is one, last I heard) -- I'm wondering if continuing the baby ASA is really a Good Idea or not. I forget if my Surgeon prescribed it or not, but I remember that my Cardiologist thinks +/- everybody (or at least full-grown males) should take it.

I actually chop cheap Aspirin tablets into quarters, because (1) it doesn't seem to upset my stomach and (2) it @&|$$es me off that 81 mg pills cost a lot MORE per pill than 325 mg pills!!

Hmmm.....

Are you NOT taking Coumadin or Warfarin for your A-Fib?

A-Fib is the #1 reason for prescribing anticoagulation therapy (ACT) with Coumadin or generic Warfarin.

You may want to also ask your Doctor about using Enteric (coated) Aspirin to minimize/prevent stomach irritation.

I think the more appropriate question would be "are you being medicated properly for your conditions?"

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Chris:

I have not had to have a new valve, but I did get my ascending aorta replaced (I was able to keep my native bi-cusped aortic valve). I am 2 months out also and just about 3 weeks ago, went off of all medications including the beta blockers.

I too was and still get the occasional ocular migraine disturbances, but they are short lived (not more than 15 min to a half hour) and are not really a problem for me. My surgeon told me that if they became a problem, he would prescribe Plavix to stop them. I have had maybe 5 events sense surgery.

The surgeon indicated that there are now some very minor "hang in's" from surgery where by some blood cells can be slightly damaged as the blood rushes past them (sutures, graft material, etc). When the blood hits it at high velocity (after exertion or getting excited or sudden BP increases) these damaged blood cells can impact brain activity mildly and he indicated that the ocular disturbances are the result.

Like you, I am very concerned about the medications and the impact of aspirin on kidneys, stomach and gastro system.

Last time I was monitored, I no longer had a-fib but to be on the safe side, I was told (by cardiologist who is an electrophysiologist) to take a full aspirin a day (I do take an enteric one). The one good thing about the short bout with a-fib, though, was it allowed the neurologist to get insurance approval for a brain MRI. Apparently frequent headaches are not good enough for that, but the possibility of a stroke from a-fib is.
Thanks for the responses. Definitely will ask cardiologist about the aspirin next time as it was the neurologist who told me I shouldn't take any NSAIDS.

I have occular migraines/ophthalmic migraines. They started two days after my MVR. I asked my surgeon about them, but I suppose I wasn't coherent or describing them correctly, because he didn't know what I was talking about. I described them to my dad while I stayed with my parents for 2 weeks post-op, and he knew what I was talking about. He gets them and has consulted a neuro-ophthalmologist about them.
I've asked my cardiologist, family doctor and ophthalmologist about them. I don't want to say on meds daily to prevent something that comes and goes, sometimes staying away for weeks or months.
NOTE: In about 2004 or 2005, I talked to a friend who had recently retired as a professor at a college of optometry. He said the visual problems are due to a disturbance in the blood flow, which would explain why mine started immediately post-op.

Hmmm.....

Are you NOT taking Coumadin or Warfarin for your A-Fib?

A-Fib is the #1 reason for prescribing anticoagulation therapy (ACT) with Coumadin or generic Warfarin.

You may want to also ask your Doctor about using Enteric (coated) Aspirin to minimize/prevent stomach irritation.

I think the more appropriate question would be "are you being medicated properly for your conditions?"

'AL Capshaw'

Al, who was this intended for, me?? I've only had two short bouts of a-Fib -- an hour or two while I was still in CVICU, and a few hours 3 weeks post-op. They kept me on metoprolol for most of my first 3 months post-op, but not since early March. I was already on Warfarin/ACT for the same 3 months, initially because of my MV repair.

Al, who was this intended for, me?? I've only had two short bouts of a-Fib -- an hour or two while I was still in CVICU, and a few hours 3 weeks post-op. They kept me on metoprolol for most of my first 3 months post-op, but not since early March. I was already on Warfarin/ACT for the same 3 months, initially because of my MV repair.

My previous response was directed towards Chris (the originator of this thread).

FWIW, whenever I experience a visual effect, I simply chew a full 325mg Aspirin (with my Cardio's approval). They tend to 'go away' in 20 minutes or so. Haven't had any for some time now.

Thanks, Al. If the Metoprolol is successfully controlling Chris/retiredmls's A-fib, wouldn't that +/- eliminate the need for Warfarin/ACT? I know that chronic or uncontrolled A-fib can promote clotting (because the heart-beat is less effective at keeping the blood flowing), but doesn't the BB minimize or eliminate that effect in many of us AVR patients?

Chris
I have an Edwards "Magna" too........my surgeon told me, I would be on metroprolol 25 mg 1/2 tab am and 1/2 tab pm, for the rest of my life. I am also on an enteric coated 81mg. Baby aspirin, but have been on that for several years, ordered by my Cardiologist. When I see my new Cardiologist...I will get a second opinion on the need for both meds....and if I still need them...."why". I already know I will have to take my thyroid medication for my lifetime, due to Hashimoto's Disease, so any other meds I can eliminate will be a good thing. I hate when they put you on a med, then 4-5 years down the road, tell us all the terrible side effects it has caused and pull it off the market.....so I would much rather eat a healthy diet, and take as little meds as I absolutely have to.
Hope your med situation works out for you......always ask questions and report side effects...it is YOUR body, you have a right to understand the medications he is prescribing for you and he can not feel your side effects..........so tell him everything.......if he is a good doctor, he listens to his patients. We have to be our own advocates. Best of luck !!!
Renee
Go Team 2011 !!!!

Dx BAV and 3 proximal arteries 75% + occluded 11/2010 4/14/2011 AVR Edwards "Magna" Bovine Tissue valve w/ Triple bypass At St. Agnes Fresno Ca. Dr. Richard Gregory

I too have experienced many visual auras since my post op started which included me taking Coreg. I hate them so much and I hate how tired the medicine makes me feel. I am supposed to be off all meds once I hit the one year mark post op. I am around 5 months.

Medication free! I had an AVR (tissue valve) in October 2010 at 39 years old, and was on Amioderone for a month to deal with racing heart rate. Also the standard six weeks of warfarin, but nothing at all since mid-November. Yes there's hope!!

Latest posts

Back