Anyone getting ready to partake in any sporting events anytime soon?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

Alright team, it's been a little while since anyone posted about their training for running, biking and other events. The spring is in full bloom and there are lots of events coming up in your areas to compete in. Who is doing what and when?

Just to lead by example, I will do a powerlifting competition on June 14th, 2014 which is right around the corner. In addition I would love to do another 10k run this year, and maybe even a 5k before that.

Here is the stuff that I have been up to several months back and my 2 year anniversary post, just in case.

1. 22-months-update-Powerlifting-10k-runs-and-other-fun-stuff: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ate-Powerlifting-10k-runs-and-other-fun-stuff
2. 2-years-since-my-heart-was-bionically-enhanced: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...-years-since-my-heart-was-bionically-enhanced

Just to lead by example, I will do a powerlifting competition on June 14th, 2014 which is right around the corner. In addition I would love to do another 10k run this year, and maybe even a 5k before that.

Make sure you let us know your results.

We're all rooting for ya :)

I'm always in training for something, but nothing in particular. I run between 12 and 25 races a year, but it was a nasty winter, so I'm a couple races short thus far. I did run a 5K trail race 2 weeks ago, not hard since my training has been lagging. Maybe I'll go a little faster in a road 5k next week. What I'm striving for this year is running the mile in summer track meets. I've been doing short intervals of 100 & 200 meters.

In eight weeks I fly to the island of Mauritius for a 26km international ocean paddling race! And as long as my iliotibial band behaves itself, I'll do the half marathon at the end of August.

But my BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) is Ironman at the end of 2015. Whoop! Haven't told my cardio about that one yet. :)

Good luck to everyone making use of their shiny new heart parts!

I'm a coach potato, but 10.5 months after my surgery I did a two week hike in Bhutan on the "Snowman Trek." I did some training before hand but found it pretty challenging.

This summer I might do a 2 week trek in Pakistan, not sure.

Since I ran the Sarasota Half Marathon in March I've gotten back to a more balanced training regimen adding more cycling and swimming rather than focusing primarily on running.

Doing my first sprint triathlon of the year on May 18th on Longboat Key, FL. I'm treating it mostly as an early season "training race". I've got five triathlons planned for the year, with my "A" race being the Rev3 FL Olympic triathlon in Venice, FL, in early November. Also have a couple of random 5K's on the schedule. Depending on how I'm feeling, I might do another half marathon on Thanksgiving weekend as a "fun" race.

Mark

I just read:

1. 12-25 races per year <---- this is answer to the following question: How many times do I wish I could actually train my running.
2. international ocean paddling race and a half marathon and an triathlon later <--- wish, I was not afraid of open water
3. two week hike in Bhutan on the "Snowman Trek." <---- this sounds super fun, btw
4. Sarasota Half Marathon in March and five triathlons planned for the year <----- FIVE TRI's, are you kidding me???????

I am confused. Is this a board of people who underwent life-threatening heart surgeries? I must have stepped into a wrong forum. ;)

Ok, honestly, this was a pleasure to read. You people are real badasses!!!!

Now, I really want to hear from more members. Even if you are not training for a sporting event, or maybe you wish you were, who else is up to testing the scar tissue and their ticker? What are you doing? Need an encouragement to partake in a sporting event? Need a buddy to run or train with?

I am confused. Is this a board of people who underwent life-threatening heart surgeries? I must have stepped into a wrong forum. ;)

the way I view it is this is the forum for people who had a life threatening illness replaced with a prosthesis to give them back their lives.

I'm a bad-ass about it because seeing death showed me what life was about.

;-)

The surgery is life-altering; our old valves were life-threatening! :) We owe it to our surgeons/cardiologists/surgical teams to make use of their handiwork to get out there and be bad-asses!

Haven't registered for any sporting events yet. Would it be strange to do that within the first 12 months after surgery? I thought about doing a half marathon after 12-18 months. From experience I know that once I start a race I can't hold back... My surgeon suggested to wait with competitions.

Ok. I am doing nothing clearly as exciting as all of you, but here is my schedule.

On a weekly basis, Yoga, 3 days a week. Step and aerobics class 2 days a week, weights 2x a week.

Outdoor recreational tennis, volleyball and cycling season starts so I will be partaking in them this summer. :)

However, I am most impressed with all your more extreme sporters! You are an inspiration.

I guess I don't officially fit into the bad-ass category. :(

Would it be strange to do that within the first 12 months after surgery? I thought about doing a half marathon after 12-18 months.

I started out coming back slowly, entering a 3 miler 5 mos after VR and kept the races short until 1 yr. At 12 mos I had done 6 short races, then entered a 10K, 8 miler and 15k the next couple mos. By 18 mos I had done about 15 or 16 races.

It's now been more than 22 years and close to 300 races. Compared to some of these guys who have done marathons within a year, I was a slouch.

Haven't registered for any sporting events yet. Would it be strange to do that within the first 12 months after surgery? I thought about doing a half marathon after 12-18 months. From experience I know that once I start a race I can't hold back... My surgeon suggested to wait with competitions.

I didn't do anything competitive until three years after my AVR. Before my surgery I was an avid weightlifter, in the gym 5-6 days/week. After my surgery my cardiologist asked me to cut back on the weights, but told me I could do as much aerobic exercise as I could handle.

I started doing some easy jogging, then some easy swimming and cycling. I did it primarily for weight-loss and health reasons.

Eventually, one of my colleagues at work who was an avid triathlete encouraged me to do a beginner's triathlon in Feb 2004. With two weeks of preparation, I did the race: A 400 meter pool swim, a 12 mile bike and 5K run. It was a struggle, but I got to the finish, and got hooked on the sport. I've done at least three triathlons per year since then, usually one a month over the summer months.

The run was the weakest part of my triathlons, so I decided to do more running during the off-season and ended up doing my first half-marathon in 2009 at age 55. I've continued to train for at least one half marathon per year since then, plus several other local races, from 5K up to 12K. I have come to enjoy running a lot, and it's certainly a lot easier logistically to head out the door to run as opposed to going for a bike ride or a swim.

I'm not terribly fast, but still improving.

I've had no cardiac issues at all, and although somewhat skeptical at first, my cardiologist has become a big supporter of my activities. My only real problems have been joint/orthopedic issues. I've got chronic patella tendinosis in my right knee, and degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both legs which resulted in a partial tear of my left Achilles in 2010. I'm going to be 61 in a couple of weeks and know that I won't be able to keep this stuff up forever at the intensity I do now, but want to enjoy it as long as I am able.

Mark

Well, I ran all winter and completed a half marathon training plan and was signed up to run the Daytona Beach half marathon in Feb the Sunday before the Daytona 500. Completed all the 20 degree long runs training up and 3 days before getting on the plane for Daytona I ended up with a detached retina. Just a freak thing. No running or physical activity for six weeks. Needless to say I was devastated. I had targeted that particular race for almost two years. Oh well, next year. I did complete my physical fitness test (which was really nothing) and I have registered for the Peachtree Road Race in July and the Army Ten Miler in October. I'm still in Coach!

Ohhhh Terry that's a bugger! I had to bail on a race two years ago due to a suspected stress fracture- and while at first I was devastated, I was also just a little bit thrilled that it wasn't my heart that stopped me this time!

As you say, the race will be there next year and you'll be able to really smash it because you're a year ahead of a lot of others with base training!

Good luck with the upcoming races!

Hi Terry45
Sad to hear about your retina; a terrible disappointment! These injury problems are a 'hazard' as we get older. I
am always worried about making too many plans for future event. Saying that! - I have booked accommodation for
one of the biggest events in Australia in November (2014) - it is called the 'Pan Pacific Masters Games', where I hope
to do: 400m, 800m, 1500m, 5000m, and if any energy left, the 4kmx-country! (all in 4 days)
At present, I run for my Sydney club in X-country and road.
Ran a 3km x-country race last weekend, in 15min 42sec, after nearly 6 weeks off with bad back. Must have ran too hard, as I came home and went to bed! LOL)
Good running te you all.
Brian

Hi All
Ran my first 5km track race for 2014 on (22/5/14) in 25min 50secs, then yesterday (24/5/14), ran 2km x-country
in 9min 53secs. Found them both very hard, as I have done 'no' speedwork, and had to use 'mental toughness'
to 'pull me through'!
This will be my last year competing for a club, as I would like to run longer distances, and don't get the opportunity
with all this racing.
See yaas
brian

Back