Any members here scuba dive after Aortic valve replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdryer

Hi kids

I found out from my Cardiologist that it's......OK to Scuba dive after MAV replacement. I've got a MAV, an On-X 23 mm to be exact, along with a DuPont graft of the ascending Aorta. The question of, "can I scuba dive after MAV replacement" has plagued me from diagnosis on Oct 2010. I searched high and low surfing the web and finally got an accurate answer from a subject matter expert, my cardiologist.

Look for me soon in the Caribbean digging the sun, sand, waves walls and critters in 2012.

I posted this for the inquisitive, who have struggled for a definitive answer to the question of....."can I scuba dive after MAV replacement".

You may find the dive instructors/tour operators will refuse you when you complete their 'hold harmless' forms. It certainly is not a good idea to lie and they may not care your surgeon or cardio said okay.

Hope you are able to find a dive organizer who doesn't have a problem with it.
Best wishes.

Thanks for responding Scott.

Any time you are under water breathing compressed air, it's scuba. Good job.

I see the cardiologist for my 1st year follow up end of March. I'll make a point of finding a form from a dive shop, for him to complete.

My surgeon answered similar concerns I had by saying that after the recovery period there would be absolutely no restriction on any exercise or activity I might want to do, period. These repairs are at least as durable as native tissue. Any restriction would be determined by my underlying health, not my valve and aorta repair.

My surgeon told me in front of my wife when I was being discharged that I couldn't do any vacuuming. Ever,ever,ever again.

I'm hoping for a vacuuming and dishes profile myself.. tho I was glad to see I should still be able to scuba dive...

Latest posts

Back