any info is appreciated

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara

I'm told I need an aortic valve replacement - I live in CT - has anyone had this done at Yale-NewHaven or St Raphaels(which is the cardiologist recommendation) in New Haven?
I am 64 - actually almost 65 - have been fairly active until now - I have become an overnight invalid - too scared to move -
- Also what about the minimally invasive procedure - I need to make decisions soon I am really upset - not thinking clearly - I have not had any symptoms - but neither did my brother who had this done in Maine -
any info is appreciated - thank you
Barbara

Welcome Barbara

Welcome Barbara

Welcome to VR.com Barbara. You have come to the right place. I can certainly understand your anxiety because I'm waiting for surgery too and was extremely anxious when I first found this web site. One of the things you need to do is spend some time looking at the various threads of discussion on the site. There is a lot here, and it will help your understanding. By doing this, you will start to understand the things you need to do, and the things that you can't change. Don't be affraid to ask specific questions, because there are a lot of people here that already know the answers and are delighted to help - that's what we are here for. If your cardiologist gave you the details of your diagnosis, you might share them with us. There is a hospital rating service available online that compares hospitals and how they do with various types of surgery. You can find it at http://www.healthgrades.com As to specific information regarding a surgeon, you may hear from someone in your area that can give you some advice. It takes awhile to absorb all the information you probably want, Barbara, so try to relax, and meet your new family at VR.com. We'll try to help all we can. Chris

Hello!

Yes, you have come to the right place! Many, many of the folks here have had your surgery, and come through with flying colors! I live in Massachusetts, and although I have heard of the hospital, I am not familiar with its cardiac care. My husband had his dual mechanical valves replaced at Mass General in Boston.

Fear not. Of the two most commonly replaced valves, the aortic valve is the easier of the two to recover from. And, as you read the posts here, you will see that most everyone goes through the fear, acceptance, and then recovery. Read as much as you can about the procedure, the articles posted here and elsewhere on the net, and I am confident you will be thinking much more positively about the journey you are embarking on.

God bless you.

Marybeth

Hi, Barbara. I became an invalid "overnight", too - seems that way to us, but the damage is being done for a long time. I'm 53, and am 2 1/2 months out from my surgery, and life looks good. On January 17, I couldn't walk across the room without a rest, nor could I lie down at night to sleep.

I feel great now. I'm still recuperating, of course, but have NO discomfort and have planted my first flowers of the season and am enjoying the spring weather (yes, we are actually having some spring weather, unlike other areas of the country).

Take the above advice: check previous posts, keep asking questions, and know you're not alone. And welcome.

Hi Barbara-

Welcome to this wonderful site. We are all your new instant friends. We all understand about this kind of surgery.

First thing to know is that it is done to save your life. Second thing is that the surgery is highly perfected. Third thing is that your surgeon will be extremely skilled and will know how to fix everything in your heart. He is probably in and out of all kinds of hearts every day and maybe more than once a day. Fourth thing is that you will have the very best surgical team looking after you. Fifth thing is that pain management is a top priority in every hospital. Sixth thing is that you will be taken care of on a one to one basis by the very best nurses and Physician's Assistants and the surgeon also, while in the Intensive Care Unit. Seventh thing is that your hospital stay will probably be less than a week. Eighth thing is that they will have you up and walking in probably two days.

It is very normal to be scared at first. But if you will take a little time to read many of the posts, your fears will eventually diminish. Knowledge is good, even if at first it's hard to read about heart surgery.

My husband has had 3 valve surgeries.

Your surgeon is the best one to discuss about minimally invasive surgery. It is applicable to some surgeries, but not to others. Only he/she can address that issue.

You don't have to be an invalid. You should be able to go about your normal activities, unless your cardiologist has restricted you. It's good that you have been active. That will help you to have a smooth recovery.

Again, welcome, and stay with us, we'll help you weather the storm.

thank you for your encouragement - I will read all I can on the site and keep in touch - it sounds like you people are really there for each other - it's nice to have an "ear' and a "shoulder" available -
I need other tests first - and of course am worrried about those too -
thanks again
Barbara

Not a big deal

Not a big deal

I've had most of those test Barbara, and can tell you that you don't have a lot to worry about. The evening of the day that I had an angioram with the catheter in the femeral artery, I went to see a performance of Handel's Messiah. I don't reccommend this, but my point is you can generally relax about the tests. They may seem like a biggee, but ask your questions and you'll find out otherwise. Chris

Latest posts

Back