Anxiety Related to Exercise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo

Hi All this is my first time posting a new thread. I had my mitral valver repaired using robotic surgery 14 weeks ago. I have got back to running which I did a lot of prior to surgery but have found that after about 20 min I tend to get a weird feeling i my chest, not pain but a sort of tightening. I am thinking it is anxiety related to me stressing that I will never be as fit as I was or that something could happen on the run. I had my 3 month post-op stress echo and the cardilogist said my results were outstanding. Does it take time for the heart to regain fitness? . My other theory is that the feeling in my chest is just out of shape and injured chest muscles playing up. I have had so many weird physical symptoms since surgery. Anybody with similiar stories I would appreciate you input.

Welcome, Stevo.

How long did the cardio do the stress test? If the test was not as long as it takes for the "tightening" to occur then he may not have a true record of what is happening to you.

Most likely it is muscle but I would still be concerned about any strange feelings in the heart area. Do you have any palpitations or SOB during this time?

I'm a year and a half out, and my chest still doesn't feel the same. I often get a "tightening" feeling, not pain, around my chest after exerting myself physically. I feel it's the chest muscles vs. the heart itself. I also get the occasional feeling of "pin pricks" around the incision area. My doc says there's some internal healing taking place in muscle tissue and nerve endings, even this far post-op, so occasion "sensations" are not uncommon.

2 years out and it hasn't been until now that my speed and endurance are coming back. Was able to get off heart meds (Yes with doc ok) and now I feel like I can actually train. This all of course did not stop me from training and racing from 6 months after surgery on on! Be smart,listen to your body and realize this TAKES TIME! What's your rush?
Laura

Latest posts

Back