AntiCoagulation Symposium

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I noticed they discussed travelling internationally while on Coumadin. Since my first AVR in '93 and my second in '95, I have been all over Asia, the Middle East and Europe on business (approx. 25 countries) and each time I returned, my INR was just fine except once when it was on the "thin" side. However, it does that on occasion right here in Oklahoma! I did monitor what I was eating (no goat's eyes, etc...) and I think that is what helped. It was a hassle getting enough scrips to load up beforehand on some of the longer trips. Good ol' doc had to be understanding. It really would have been difficult to locate a Walgreen's... Hope all is well with your AV and thanks again for posting the article...it was interesting.
Click On !
Les

Hello Barrett L,

I noticed that you've had two AVR's in 1993 & 1995. What was the reason for the second AVR? Did the valve fail or what?
Did you already send in your personal story to Hank? I think that many people would be interested in hearing what happened. We all learn from eachother.
I had two AVR's within 11 days in August of 2000. The second one was due to a screw-up at the cardiologist office. (read my story for complete details).
I am glad to know that you've travelled all over the world since your surgeries and without any INR problems. There are several people on this forum that travel across country and to Europe all the time without any problems.
Barrett, how do you deal with the time zones? Do you adjust the time you take the Coumadin ahead of time?
I am going to Europe this winter for the first time since my surgeries and am a bit scared. I guess it is the unknown that I am afraid of, and not being close to my doctors if something were to happen. I guess I find it difficult to get out of my comfort zone.
I do have my own Protime machine and am able to test whenever. Just have to talk to my doctor about giving me enough Coumadin to last for the weeks I'll be away.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
Aortic Stenosis
Tucson Medical Center, Tucson. AZ
St. Jude's Mechanical
Dr. Gulshan Sethi

Hey, Christina!
You're right...I need to post "what happened" and will soon. In the meantime, I was doing great in '95 right up to the point the cardiologist told me I wasn't. Had run the Tulsa Run 15K, went to Hawaii the very next day for a week and had my annual sonogram two days after I returned. That's when they told me the suture ring was pulling loose and I had a sizeable leak that needed immediate attention. ( The same thing is happening now, just on a smaller scale...which I hope remains so!) They were baffled why I wasn't symptomatic but three days later, I had a table waiting.
Congrats on getting to go to Europe this winter! How I handled my dosage was while I was outbound, I just left my watch on Oklahoma time and took the dose as normal. Once I arrived anywhere, I would take it in the morning, just to keep my routine. Granted, at times, depending on where I was, I may have taken the dose a litte later or earlier than required. I just thought that after the first day, then continuing my morning routine until I returned, I would be OK. I always test once a month while at home. I would test again when I returned from abroad even if it had only been a week or two. It always seemed to work and I never had bleeding problems, etc.
You already know how to be aware of diet, etc. You even have the added advantage of your own machine...but I really wouldn't worry. Just have FUN and enjoy the fact you are getting to experience something that even "normal valves" would appreciate. Enjoy, and keep me posted on your trip!

"To Click Is To Be"
Les

Latest posts

Back