Antibiotics Before Dental Procedures

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
makes me laugh

makes me laugh

I can't tell you how many cardiolgists I've been through. The ONLY thing they have all agreed on is that I should take prophylaxi amoxicillin before dental work.

Shine_on_Syd said:
I can't tell you how many cardiolgists I've been through. The ONLY thing they have all agreed on is that I should take prophylaxi amoxicillin before dental work.

Syd, it is indeed reassuring that all of our doctors are in agreement in regard to dental prophylaxis. The only problem is, there is no evidence that it does any good. In George Washington's day there was almost total agreement that leeches were helpful in a variety of conditions.

<<In George Washington's day there was almost total agreement that leeches were helpful in a variety of conditions.>>

Actually .... leeches are back! Particularly to assist in healing skin grafts, or for helping to restore circulation in cases of reconstructive surgery.

Recent article at BBC Online http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3858087.stm

<<Last Updated: Friday, 2 July, 2004, 23:11 GMT 00:11 UK

The humble leech's medical magic

By Melissa Jackson
BBC News Online health staff

The latest endorsement for using blood-sucking leeches for medical purposes has come from the US government.

In a world where medical advances are dominated by developments in drugs and surgery it seems that in certain fields these humble creatures cannot be beaten.

They are highly prized as a tool for healing skin grafts or restoring circulation, especially in reconstructive surgery.

Now the US Food and Drug Administration has approved an application from French firm Ricarimpex SAS to market leeches for medicinal purposes.

These hungry little Draculas have been used in medicine for centuries and were first employed in Egypt about 2,500 years ago.

Later, they were applied to treat all kinds of ailments from headaches to gout.

Through bloodletting, it was thought that leeches would drain "impure blood" from the body, thereby curing illness.

Eventually, scientific research showed that leeches were unlikely to stop a headache, but are useful in surgery.

They are often used today in plastic and reconstructive surgery, because a natural anticoagulant they secrete fights blood clots and restores proper blood flow to inflamed parts of the body.

Thousands of patients owe the successful reattachment of body parts to miraculous technological advances in plastic and reconstructive surgery.

But some of these operations might have failed if leeches had not been reintroduced into the operating room.

The appendages reattached include fingers, hands, toes, legs, ears, noses and nipples following breast reconstructive surgery.

During operations, micro surgeons usually have little trouble attaching the two ends of the arteries, because arteries are thick-walled and relatively easy to suture.

Veins, however, are thin-walled and especially difficult to suture, particularly if the tissue is badly damaged.

All too often the surgeon can get blood to flow in the reattached arteries but not veins.

With the venous circulation severely compromised, the blood going to the reattached finger becomes congested, or stagnant; the reattached portion turns blue and lifeless and is at serious risk of being lost.

It is in these cases that leeches are summoned.

Ken Dunn, consultant burns and plastic surgeon at the South Manchester Burns and Plastic Surgery Service said: "We use leeches to establish a flow of blood through tissue where there is congestion of blood, usually because the flow of venous blood out is not adequate, while the arterial flow of blood into the tissue is good or excellent.

"The treatment simply buys time for the venous drainage to open up and improve, usually 3-5 days. If this is not done the tissue will die from that congestion of blood.

"Leeches are extremely effective and better than simply putting a hole in the tissue to make it bleed because the leech lines the bite they make with a good anticoagulant that is very long lasting.

"On average the tissue bleeds about 10 times the volume of blood that the leech actually removes to feed on, making it a very efficient and effective treatment.

"Treatment with a single leech will last hours and allow blood flow in the tissue during that time."

The key to success is the exploitation of a unique property of the leech bite, namely, the creation of a puncture wound that bleeds literally for hours.

The leech's saliva contains substances that anaesthetise the wound area, dilate the blood vessels to increase blood flow and prevent the blood from clotting.

Mr Dunn said: "Leeches are a treatment associated with medieval times and appear a tad dated.

"However, much the same as maggots and a small list of other treatments, leeches still have their place in modern medicine."

They do have their drawbacks, one of which is the patients' squeamishness about having three-inch slimy parasites attached to their wounds.

They can sometimes slip off patients and reattach themselves to other parts of the body not in need of therapy.

However if you are ever in that unfortunate position of needing leech therapy, it may be a case of lie back and think of something more attractive if it means saving a limb. >>

Marge, Thanks for the great post on leeches! They say "what goes around comes around" and this is true for the little blood suckers. I learn a lot here at vr.com. My surgeons are behind the curve too. I knew maggots were helpful and still used occasionally to clean up necrotic tissue in some wounds but hadn't heard about the leeches.

Latest posts

Back