Another question about surgeons

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_dalhouse

So I'm still in the process of looking for a surgeon to do my minimally invasive mitral valve repair. I've narrowed the search by picking a hospital - St. Lukes in Houston. I've just made an appt. with Dr. Todd Rosengart there, after speaking with him and really liking him. My concerns however are, even though he's been studying and doing minimally invasive for awhile now, that he is new to Houston (has been there 6 months) and seems to do a lot of research and academic work and alot of traveling with that, so is not doing many operations?? I'm not clear on this and will ask him at our appt., but are most surgeons also busy with research and teaching? And does this send up a red flag for anyone else? My mom who's worked in the medical field for decades brought these questions up and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Also, I'm considering another surgeon that seems to be famous at St. Lukes for valve surgery - Dr. David Ott. But I keep hesitating in calling because he's 66. Any other profession this wouldn't bother me, but for someone who is going to be tinkering with my heart, it seems a little bit past the prime. Does anyone have an opinion about ages of surgeons and if 66 is still ok?

I know I'm being a bit picky and OCD about this, but it is the biggest decision I've ever made I think. And I want to be sure to get it right! So please keep the advice coming!!
Thanks all!!
Andrea

Andrea, if it is any comfort, when my turn comes, I've elected to have Dr Ott perform my surgery. I've done research, and have colleague and friends with personal experience with him. As far as research, I would not let that scare me. I think at the big heart centers all the staff would be doing some. Best of luck in your decision process

Joe

I had the same initial concern regarding my surgeon's age, made superficially more worrisome by a hip problem that just made him seem "old". He was a legend in the field, though, very much like Dr. Ott. I finally decided that I shouldn't worry about a surgeon of his caliber causing a problem, I should worry about who I would want operating on me should any unexpected problem arise during the surgery. I wanted the best of the best...knowledge and experience trumped everything else for me. Perhaps he can't stay on his feet as long as the younger surgeons he leads, perhaps not, I have no idea. But he was the best, no matter how he does it, so that was enough for me.

In reading I've done since my surgery, it seems that many (perhaps most) of the highest level surgeons around are in the same general age group. As was the case with my surgeon, they very often are at the forefront of new surgical techniques as well, leading the TAVI trials for example. Everyone gets old in different ways, so while I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion to hear a surgeon describe their own impressions of age on their particular skill set, it will always be relative to the individual surgeon. Some of the best have even kept operating even a decade or two later in life, so they might even call a 66 year old surgeon still a newbie! :biggrin2:

But anyway, if it were me, I would give Dr. Ott a call and at least meet with him. Heck, why don't you just ask him what he thinks about age and let us all know? :wink2: Best wishes to you.

I interviewed (3) Drs. to do my AVR surgery. Two were in the 50's. Ended up choosing Dr. Barnhart, Swedish Hospital, Cherry Hill location, Seattle because he seemed to be the most up to date Dr. He did not come across as old. He was agile, experienced with 1000's of surgeries. He was honest and walked myself and my husband through the whole surgery. I felt most comfortable with him and didn't care about his age...his experience was what mattered to me. Good luck with your search.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________IIn the waiting room. AVR May 23, 2013, Dr. Barnhart, Swedish Hospital (Cherry Hill location), Seattle, WA. On-x valve.

Yeah, surgeons in their 50's don't bother me in the least. I just thought that 66 seemed more like retirement age, though I'm getting over that as it seems like that is not that old for a world reknowned doctor. However I did email Dr. Ott yesterday and he seems quite biased against the minithoracotomy while I've spoken with surgeons who are in support of my doing that procedure. So now instead I've gone the other direction and have made an appt. with a 38 year old surgeon (sheesh that seems young! from one extreme to the other!). But he has been doing minithoracotomies for quite a few years now and does them on a regular basis. And as it has been a really hard search for a surgeon with this experience, I think I just need to let go of worrying about the surgeons age.

So next monday I head down to Houston to see these 2 different surgeons who are experienced with minimally invasive mitral valve repair. Wish me luck!! I just want this whole thing (especially this search for the right surgeon) to be over. Sadly I was not able to find anyone in Houston that I would trust to do robotic on me. I find that odd.

thanks for all the support here!!!! so glad I found this forum! I will keep you all updated (mostly for my own sanity!).
Andrea

My surgeon was in his 60's when he did my 3rd surgery. When I met with him in the hospital, he said he thought he had about 5 yrs left in him for surgeries. So, about 4 have gone by, but when I saw him recently to have my sternal wires removed, he was just the same as he was 4 yrs ago. He seems very young at heart. I had no problems with him doing my 3rd, long surgery, nor in having my wires removed. I will be sorry when he finally does retire.
I know Stanford will really miss him. But, he would've done minimally invasive on me if it was only my mitral. So he has kept up with this technology. I would hope surgeons would be honest with themselves about when they feel they are done and can't perform surgeries anymore.

Andrea, I failed to mention the surgeon I am using, Dr. Barnhart, is 62 in my post yesterday. Sorry about that. Just remember you may not be a candidate for a minithoracotomy. At first I thought I was a candidate for a minimally invasive aortic valve replacement, but after Dr. Barnhart look at all my arteries from my angiogram, I found out I was not. So, don't be too disappointed if you aren't a candidate. The Drs. just want you to have the best outcome possible. Just keep an open mind. Good luck in finding your surgeon. Kim

Surgeons are incredibly busy people, and the best ones are doing research and teaching and travelling. The medical boards are well equipped to decide when someone is too old to do surgery anymore so don't worry about age.

Keep in mind that heart surgery, even though scary for us, is quite easy for the surgeons! Our hearts are HUGE compared to other body parts that get operated on - the old cliche of 'it's not brain surgery' comes to mind. You're not interviewing someone to do something new and unique and tricky. My surgeon refers to himself as a plumber! Choose whoever you like the best, whoever is closest to home, whichever hospital makes you feel most comfortable - and good luck!

Sorry for the bumpy process Andrea. AV is different than MV. I would probably do the same thing. Did Dr. Ott give any reason that you are comfortable with sharing?

Yes ejc61. Here is what Dr. Ott said in his email:
"My obligations to the patient are three 1) is to do the operation the safest way, 2) is to do it the way that allows us the best exposure in order to get the very best repair and, 3) is to do it the least painful way. All three of these requirements are best met by small midline sternotomy incision."

I do appreciate his opinion as I know he is a highly regarded surgeon. However, Dr. Rosengart, also highly regarded and just assumed the position of chair of the Debakey Center in Houston, has done a lot of research on minimally invasive and thinks I would do well with a minithoracotomy - as far as one can tell from a phone conversation. He also considers the psychological aspect of a sternotomy to be an important factor (as it greatly is for me). So I am excited to be meeting with him and another doctor - Dr. Basel Ramlawi - next week.

Thanks ski girl! That is all comforting information to hear.
Andrea

Thanks Andrea. I'm sure they're are all fine surgeons. I would continue going through the options.

Back