Another Newbie with questions...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why take the messages off the board for all to learn and be helped from? :confused:
To private message on such valuable information type thing deprives others from learning and benefiting. This is, afterall, a public forum, isn't it?

Not to say there aren't lots of reasons for PM's but I hope this isn't one.
Thanks.

Nope this isn't one...I replied on the board...

I just thought this book eased my mind, not knowing anything about Heart Valve surgery, and when the news was dropped on my lap that I needed my valve replaced it help me to get through the process. Yes with new Techniques and Techonology changing all the time, yes it might not be 100% accurate, but for the most part I thought it was. It is just one person experience going through Heart Valve Surgery.

Thank you for the recommendation. I can see how reading the book and knowing what lies ahead could be calming to some people, but for me, I'm sort of on information overload. I've made my decision, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm at a point where I think more "preparation" could throw me back into panic attack mode. So far so good on that front and I haven't even started taking the drugs my GP prescribed for it :)

Thank you for the recommendation. I can see how reading the book and knowing what lies ahead could be calming to some people, but for me, I'm sort of on information overload. I've made my decision, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm at a point where I think more "preparation" could throw me back into panic attack mode. So far so good on that front and I haven't even started taking the drugs my GP prescribed for it :)

My Cardiologist Gave me some good advice before surgery, focus all my energy on what I have to do for my recovery and what I have to do to prepare for surgery. Let the Doctors do their job.

Lisa ... I'm now 43 and had the Ross Procedure (replacing my aortic valve with my pulmonary valve and receiving a donor pulmonary valve) in February this year. I have a nine-year-old daughter and was terrified I would die. I didn't!!! And nearly 10 months later I feel really good most of the time. My surgeon said three months' physical recovery, nine to 12 months for psychological recovery. I agree. I didn't appreciate just how crappy I felt before surgery until about six months AFTER surgery.
You can read about my experience here if you're interested ... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/a-diary-of-open-heart-surgery/story-fn6bn9st-1226058541539
Happy to chat via private message if you like ...

Great story! Thank you for sharing. I refuse to leave my girl without a mom. That's why I'm having the surgery and what is going to give me the strength to get through it. I have complete confidence in my surgeon and that's helping a lot too. I haven't even felt a need for the anti-anxiety drugs I was prescribed although the other day a friend of mine (who also happens to be a nurse practitioner) recommended that I start them now so they can build up in my system and still be working when I come out of surgery. Does anyone have experience in that area? Do drugs help with the psychological impact of heart surgery?

Wow! You must be one tough cookie. I'm thoroughly impressed. Do you mind me asking how long it was before you were able to care for them on your own? Did the older one understand what was going on? Do you think having them around helped with your healing process? What I am really hoping for is that I will come out of this whole ordeal with more energy and stamina than I am going in with, and that will be a bonus for the whole family! Thanks!
-Lisa

sorry it took so long to reply, i thought my email would alert me when you replied! it took me 3-4 weeks before i could even physically TRY to lift my then 6 month old but at 6 weeks post op i took my life back lifting my then 6 1/2 month old and 19 month old. having them around helped for sure!!! it gave me a reason to really try to relax and so i could heal. my older one did know what had happened, and saw my scar and knew my heart had been fixed and was very sensitive with me. she still is, and if you ask her about my scar, she knows why it is there. it is depressing not to be able to fully care for your children during the healing process. its the worst thing a mother can go through....not to be able to be 100% there for your children....but you have to look forward, and realize what you have been through, and know that NOW AFTER surgery, you know you will be with them forever :)

please let me know any other questions! ill check more frequently!

i never had any symptoms, all of my information was on an accidental finding! so i feel the same. im sure you will feel great!

Back