Another Challenge

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pushup styles

Pushup styles

My marfans doc and surgeon allows that I can do knee pushups but not full ones. I do lots for karate and they wipe me out pretty quickly. Still feels good to build the upper body strenght though. I'd be curious to hear what other docs say. Naturally I don't think I would try doing them immediately after surgery and would want to be sure people were getting permission from their surgeon before taking them on.

good luck!

I started it in January and two weeks into it I hurt my back - an old recurring thing that's been with me for years. I'm not sure if it was from the PUs or shoveling snow that caused it, so I took two weeks off - from the PUs that is, can't do anything about the snow. I'm going to try getting back into it again this week starting from the start again.

At the end of week 2 I did 81 in 5 sets but didn't try the week 2 test of continuous PUs. I have no doubt I could have done 35 non-stop at that point. I was doing 25-30 every day after my morning runs last summer, so I wasn't in bad shape to start. I've never done 100 in my life.

I've moved away from using free weights to doing almost exclusively body weight training. Im doing 100 pushes a day (5 sets, 20 reps per). I haven't been doing them EVERY day but I am managing at least 3 to 4 times a week. Usually if I am sore its muscle related, never my sternum. Im 11 months post op now but I can say it was a good 5 or 6 months post surgery before I could do them and not feel "something" in my chest/sternum area.

If you really want to see just how weak you are, try some pullups ! Im using an assisted dip machine in the gym and can do sets of 10 but when I tried without the assist I was lucky to get to 5 ! My trainer told me I have no business doing curls with free-weights if I cant do 10 pullups un-assisted. So pushups, pullups, lunges, and squats are the big 4 for my workouts now for the big muscle groups. The rest is all core work, which I hate :)

Hey Kodi, thanks for the post and the link. Did you notice on the link there is also a challange and program for sit up's?? I think I am going to try the sit-up's -my mid section could use it :p Thanks Debbie :)

So I did restart from day 1 again yesterday and no backache yet. I'm wondering is it better to do only the stipulated 3 days a week or would adding a couple low intensity days to the schedule help?

So I did restart from day 1 again yesterday and no backache yet. I'm wondering is it better to do only the stipulated 3 days a week or would adding a couple low intensity days to the schedule help?
I started yesteday and started at day 1 in the 11-20 category. I managed to do them all but it was a stuggle. My form might have been off at the very end. I'm sticking to the program of 3 days a week. I have enough other things going between rowing, swimming, biking and walking to do any more. Hopefully I'll be able to start running again in the next week or so.

Hey Kodi, well I started my sit-up's 3 days ago, so far so good. I'm doing 15 in the morning and 15 at night, I want to start off slow and build up. I tryed doing girl push-up's but could only do 5, I guess my arms need work too. I have been able to get some good rides in this week, see ya next Sat. :D:D
Take care Debbie :)

Allrighty then, back to week one of the pushups. I popped off 50 Mon, 58 Wed, 64 Fri, but I also threw in a few extra, 15-20, on Tue and Thu. I'm doing them before my runs now whereas last summer I was doing my PUs when I returned home from my runs.

I'd like to throw in a few situps too but that may be too much at once, maybe in a few more weeks.

Allrighty then, back to week one of the pushups. I popped off 50 Mon, 58 Wed, 64 Fri, but I also threw in a few extra, 15-20, on Tue and Thu. I'm doing them before my runs now whereas last summer I was doing my PUs when I returned home from my runs.

I'd like to throw in a few situps too but that may be too much at once, maybe in a few more weeks.

Good for you. Is that all at once or over the 5 sets?

Sets. It was only the first week. The plan calls for 5 sets 3 days a week and at the end of wk 2, 4 & 6 you do an endurance test. Supposedly after 6 wks you can do 100 non-stop. I've never done that many in my life. I don't know what my previous max was. I never bothered to record such things but I do remember doing 35 after a 10 mile run just last summer. I doubt I've ever done more than 50 in one go.

This is a good topic, I have not had the opportunity to hear what others on the board are doing and at what point post-op.

I'm about 6 1/2 months post-op right now. I started back to the gym, about 7 weeks ago with my cardiologist permission. I am able to do things now that I haven't been able to do for 10 years.

Every couple of weeks I do 1-minute drills. Two weeks ago I did 36 push-ups in the 60 seconds. No real sternum pain although my collarbones get a little sore at times. (But it still really hurts when I sneeze!)

Right now I’m doing strength exercises 3 days a week, 70-90 minutes.
3 days a week of cardio & core, about 60 minutes.

I know we have many runners and cyclist on this board, It pretty admirable what you are accomplishing. Would anyone care to share what they are doing for circuit training?

Week #2 of pushups. Mon-Wed-Fri: 68-78-86

I've been tossing in an extra 20 on the in-between days but I don't think I'll bother continuing that. Those are not what's making improvement. The 5th set of each session is go-until-failure which, like weight lifting, is what does all the good. I think what I want to do now is start with some situps on alternate days. I've been putting those off until I get used to the PU work.

Ran 22 miles last week too, but that's normal. I've averaged about 1,000 miles a year for 30-some years.

I just finished week two and my total for all five sets was 82, 21 was in set five. Don't think I ever did that many in my life.

Week #3. I couldn't keep up with the numbers in the third column but exceeded the second column workout. Mon-74, Wed 85, Fri-96. I think I'm going to back off next week from week 4 and redo week 3 at the higher level before moving on. I don't care if it takes me 12 weeks to complete the 6 week program. It's still the most PUs I've ever done before in either case.

I struggled with week 3 also and actually only did one day. I'm going to regroup and repeat week three. It's also the most pushups I've ever done before. Even if they aren't perfect form they are decent.

My second attempt at week #3, Mon-87, Wed-102, Fri-112. I still couldn't complete the final day though. I exceeded the counts on Monday and Wednesday but Friday was too big of a jump. Two sets of 30 in a row were beyond me. I'm moving on to week 4 anyway to see how far I can get with that. Still, I'm making tremendous progress. 112 pushups is not a small number.

i know it doesn't count, i'm too early to do the program, avr+48, but after
doing some 1/4 and 1/2-mile runs....and one really painfully slow (10:15)
one mile slog, decided to see how the sternum was doing.

tried some pretend pull-ups first. hold onto the bar and slowly put
weight on my arms. no pull ups, too scared.

but then tried some girlie push-ups. managed 15 before the sore arms
made me say enough. form was bad, and not really lowering fully,
but no sternum pain, just a little 'tickle.' i'm sure i'll pay for it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back