Annual Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rick W

Hello again everyone, I have not posted in a while. Last time was over some arrhythmia caused by caffeine and I was getting overly concerned. I am going to have my annual Echocardiogram tomorrow afternoon. I wish there was some way to get out of it but I was at 0.85 cm2 valve area last year so I am curious to know what it is now. The time for surgery could be nearing but at this point I still feel like I would go kicking and screaming. I am only short of breath upon exercising with no chest pains or fainting. Also, I will be trying UCLA Medical Center for the first time tomorrow, I hear they are excellent. In a way I wish the surgery was over and done because I am tired of this tension I feel all the time.

Just wanted to fill the group in and see what comes back. This has been an outstanding group of people to talk with.

Thanks
Rick

Regarding Your Aortic Stenosis

Regarding Your Aortic Stenosis

Hi Rick,
After reading your message I looked at your profile and noted your age and that you have aortic stenosis. I'm wondering if anyone has ever told you anything about the structure of your aortic valve - do you know if you are bicuspid or tricuspid(normal number of cusps)? You are in the age group where stenosis is quite typical of a bicuspid valve. If your valve is bicuspid, I would really encourage you to read about that before you have to make any decisions about surgery. You want the best, most complete solution possible.
We are very fortunate to have someone here in southern Cal who is one of the few who specializes in the complete bicupsid aortic condition - valve and aorta - my husband's surgeon at Cedars.
Hope your echo goes well tomorrow. Please feel free to email me if you would like further details about anything.
Take care,
Arlyss

I'm beginning to know how you feel. . .

I'm beginning to know how you feel. . .

Hi Rick!
I'm starting to understand just how you feel, as I am probably about a year "earlier" in the process than you are. I am just 1 month older than you, and I also have AS, no real symptoms, currently at about 1.0 cm valve area. This "watchful waiting" is more stressful than I ever expected it to be.

All the wonderful folks here are helping me to begin to believe that it WILL all come out fine, it is just that we are not able to know the exact path and timing until the time comes. I'm currently struggling, trying to maintain some semblance of the normal life I had just a couple of months ago, but it is a bit of a battle. Sometimes I just want to call the cardio and shout LETS JUST DO IT! But after meeting with him, I know he would explain that it isn't time until it's time.

I truly believe that the cardio is acting as a messenger from a higher being who also is telling us that it's just not time until it's time.

Hang in there -- we can do this.

Hi Rick,

Shortness of breath is one of the "classic" triad of symptoms.

Syncope(fainting), angina(pains and pressure in chest, and shortness of breath are those symptoms, any or all may occur. Once aortic stenosis is in the severe range (which it seems you are) most cardiologists will be recommending surgery. The survival/positive outcome of surgical intervention seem best for patients with 3 months or less of symptoms.

You said the "only" symptom you have is SOB and it may be the only symptom you ever get. I personally never got symptomatic and my valve was closing down at a pretty speedy rate.

I am not trying to be an alarmist here but simply want to caution you not to expect dramatic signs before intervention is necessary. This condition is agressive, kills quickly and sometimes unexpectedly so we have to be equally agressive and proactive making the decision to act. I never took my own sersiously enough till it was almost too late. Thankfully my cardiologist was a self-assured no nosense guy who simply laid it on the line. "If you wait too long you will be a dead man in 3 tp 5 years with a dimishing quality of life along the way". I believe, byond a shadow of a doubt he was right. The waiting was really worse than the surgery, mentally.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how things go.

All our prayers for a good report/result.

Bill

Back