Anniversary - a bit too much alchohol....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean75GB

So my wife and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary this past weekend in Door County, plus it was our first night away from our 4 month old baby boy. I had more alchohol than usual Saturday, we went to a winery and did some wine tasting (maybe equal to one full glass, had a beer at lunch, martini at dinner, and about a glass of wine in the hotel room. I don't have another INR testing until early July and I can't help to think I overdid it. Everything feels fine, only thing I notice is a bruise on my hand that I don't know where it came from.

I had AVR on 2/24/12 and aortic root replacement (mechanical valve) so I'm on Warfarin (37 yrs old). Question is, how long would one night like this affect my range which is supposed to be between 2 - 3? I've consistently been in range for the last few months. Should I be overly concerned? Figured someone here has tested boundaries on this.....Thanks!!!

Figured someone here has tested boundaries on this.....Thanks!!!

I used to test this boundary a lot.......a long time ago. It might be a good idea to go in for an INR test now, so you'll get an idea of the effect....if any. Alchohol never had a dramatic effecton my INR......but it may have more effect on yours. I have heard stories that are on both sides of alchohol use.

You should be fine. Keep your usual dosage and diet.
When I was on coumadin for short course after my surgery, all of my doctors said a few glasses of wine were fine. Yes, you had a bit more than that but you will have voided the alcohol by now and your INR, if it was impacted, will be back to what it would have been had you not had any liquor.

Congratulations on both your new baby and your anniversary.

It takes 7 hours for your liver to get the alcohol out of your blood stream, so it is long gone from your system. This occasional use is actually fine, just ask your doctor, it's the constant overload that messes things up.

Some days you might have more greens than others, and some you will consume more, these things are only affecting your INR for the duration that your body needs to get them processed, etc.

EDIT: I am not a doctor but this is what my research on the web, as this is also my question, has taught me.

I drank far too much a few weeks ago (about 2 bottles of wine!!) and my INR was only 2.5 the next day (was 2.1 the day before). I have a home monitor and check when I have a crazy night out or if I'm on antibiotics etc. Anyway, I don't recommend drinking lots but for me there will be odd nights when I drink too much and I guess I'll try my luck every so often... So far I've never had any funny bruising, bleeding etc I think it's good to drink often but consistently if you are on warfarin... If you don't drink anything and all of a sudden you have way too much then you could get into trouble..

I was told in the hospital by the pharmacist that alcohol doesn't affect the INR in any specific way, like vitamin K. The biggest risk is falling down, hitting your head and internal bleeding causing a stroke. He indicated that physical injury is the primary reason to caution warfarin users about getting drunk. I'll bet you there are many alcoholics on warfarin :)

Thanks for all the responses! It's good to know I can still celebrate once in awhile without getting out of hand. It just didn't seem fair to be a Packer season ticket holder and not being able to have a few extra beers on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks again for the advice/info.

Sean

Thanks for all the responses! It's good to know I can still celebrate once in awhile without getting out of hand. It just didn't seem fair to be a Packer season ticket holder and not being able to have a few extra beers on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks again for the advice/info.

Sean

From one Packer backer to another. Take Care and now you know to just do everything in moderation. :)

Alcohol definitely DOES effect INR in lots of patients. Warfarin gets broken down in the liver and alcohol has an effect on this. Although it doesn't seem to effect my INR at present I know many people where their INR has gone over 4.5.

I was told in the hospital by the pharmacist that alcohol doesn't affect the INR in any specific way, like vitamin K. The biggest risk is falling down, hitting your head and internal bleeding causing a stroke. He indicated that physical injury is the primary reason to caution warfarin users about getting drunk. I'll bet you there are many alcoholics on warfarin :)

This is what my surgeon, cardiologist, and family doctor tell me also. I over did it to an extent this last weekend for my good friends wedding that I was in. I didn't drink all day like them but after I was probably averaging 2 beers an hour for 6 hours. Night before I had about a beer an hour. This last week I've eaten more greens to kind of balance things out. I get my INR tested next Friday.

Yes, this is exactly right. Alcohol won't affect your INR. Being falling-down drunk and falling may cause an injury that could lead to internal bleeding. Internal bleeding will most likely not cause a stroke, but it could lead to excess blood loss, that's the risk. Internal bleeding should be able to be stopped and any major blood loss can be replaced with a transfusion.

Guys I think you seriously need to do your research about INR and alcohol. I hope some other members on this site will back me up because thinking alcohol won't effect the INR is VERY DANGEROUS AND IRRESPONSIBLE. Sure it may not effect some people but it is a well know FACT that alcohol binges increase INR to a dangerous level. A few beers probably won't effect INR.. Ovie, your INR will almost probably be fine on Friday but the few days after your drinking there was a very high chance that your INR was too high (especially if you had 12 beers!!). I drink too much sometimes but not on the basis that drinking doesn't increase INR. Even if alcohol doesn't increase your INR it is still has a mild antiplatelet effect so it could still increase the risk of bleeding.

Hopefully Dick and some other members who have years of experience with INR control will chime in.

It is my understanding that too much alcohol will affect INR and in excess can be very dangerous. Everyone is different but as a general rule after about 3 or 4 your getting to the upper limits of "safety". Doesn't mean you can get hammered one day at a celebration just don't make it a regular thing. Too much alcohol can and will cause arrhythmia issues, theres a name for it we use in the ER its called holiday heart and it effects people even without any heart conditions. Moral of the story don't make it a habit.

On a personal experience a few month ago I drank about 3 vodka tonic every night for about 4 nights and my INR was at 4.1 a couple of days later. If I drink a few over the weekend it has minimal change, when it carries over during the week is when I have issues.

Last edited:
Per "I hope some other members on this site will back me up because thinking alcohol won't effect the INR is VERY DANGEROUS AND IRRESPONSIBLE".

I've read warnings about alcohol. These same warnings also came with the known false warnings about green vegetables and shaving with a non-electric razor, thus I can't put much stock in the warning. Anybody got any links to a few studies?

Eating green vegetables isn't a false warning. Eat too much green veg such as spinach and it WILL effect your INR if you are not consistent with your eating habits. It's all about balancing your vitamin K intake. Same with alcohol intake. If it is kept consistent then there shouldn't be any problems. As I said in the thread.. I drink lots sometimes but this isn't on the basis that it won't effect my INR, just because I want to live a good life! Non electric razor is laughable however..

I drink to much, mostly a weekend thing. I also home test so I know what my INR is doing. Don't think we can all do what one does, we all have tolerances and one might not function like the other.

I am approaching my 1 year anniversary with my new Aeortic Mechanical valve. I have noticed slight spikes in my INR after drinking 3-4 beers a night a few nights in a row. I had a week or two where my INR was around 3.2-3.4. Never been in that range, as I try to stay around 2.5. I think every once in a while isn't all that bad, but I think drinking an abundant amount days in a row will affect your INR. I try to spread out the days where I indulge in my beer drinking. Taking beer breaks, or cutting back during the week have really really helped, and I don't wake up with aches.

Let's not forget we have these new tickers, and drink responsibly if you are doing it daily. However, based on experience, a couple spread out days of enjoying a nice buzz with the boys hasn't had negative impacts on me, but I can only speak for myself, we all have different bodies.

i drink 1 -2 beers a day on average , it depends ,,,,, my INR has stayed the same , it goes up or down but not enough to change my dosage, mostly I watch my green intake, always a huge salad at night with my dinner....eat a really healthy diet, exercise everyday, and try and enjoy life as best I can....and if that means a frosty beer before dinner then so be it....
keep it consistent .......

Don't worry about it, drinking doesn't really affect ur INR maybe slighty increases it! not to the point you'll die of bleeding. But if you plan getting wasted, watch out for the hungovers "pretty intense" LOL. What really affects ur INR in mixing any other meds with it like ur meds, herbs, green food...

Back