Animal vs Mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CLivin1015

Dear All,
This is my first post, so please excuse me for any spelling mistakes or confusion.
Im a forty-year old male non-smoker and am due to have surgery in December 2001 for congenital aortic stenosis.
I wasnt given any help in choosing what type of valve to have and was wondering if anybody could advise me one way or the other.
Looking forward to hearing from you all

Welcome Craig!

I think you will find people here saying that this is a very personal choice. But I'm sure you will find the information you need to make that choice. It depends on a number of factors including your lifestyle. A mechanical valve should last for life, but you will probably get a clicking sound with it, and you will need to take warfarin on a permanent basis, with regular blood tests to check the level of clotting. If you have a tissue valve you will probably have to face a replacement later on. But who knows how things will have advanced by then.

I had a stentless pig valve (Toronto valve) replacement in March this year in London. But I am 67 - so its a different situation from yours. With a tissue valve I don't have to take warfarin - just a baby aspirin every day.

Jonathan Upton has a website that may interest you - he has had a number of heart surgeries in London and I have found him very supportive - www.braveheart.eurobell.co.uk.

Best of luck. I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear how you get on and the decision you make.

Last edited:
Welcome Craig

Welcome Craig

Craig,

You ask a very good question that has a very different answer for each individual.

To help you with your decision, there is a very good in depth discussion of this topic in the Heart Talk forum. The thread discussion is "Making the choice" by Peter Easton.

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304

Many of the forum members have contributed to this discussion, so you will get many different points of view.

Kristy W.

Hi Craig

Hi Craig

Sorry can't help you much with your question ..but I can recommend you read all you can especially in here ...there has been a lot of discussion about heart valve types ...I'm in Scotland too ..Where about are you ?..have you just been given this diagnosis ?..how long are the waiting lists?..are you being done in Edinburgh ?...I'm waiting to see a Congential Heart Consultant from Edinburgh as I was born with Congential Heart Disease ..I asked for a second opinion ..it's taken a long time ..but I wanted to be sure before I went ahead with any surgery ...
Hope you get on okay ..keep in touch
Scottie

Hi Craig - Welcome to this group. I had a mitral valve repair and Aortic replaced by homograph (human valve) in Jan 2001. I am age 48. Much of the time they recommend mechanical for their durability at your age. However, you would have to take blood thinners, which is not so bad if you listen to those who have to. I think the homograph is better than the animal valves, I hear they will last longer. Good to hear you have plenty of time before surgery. Keep asking questions and you will get good advice.

Hi Craig,

You have gotten some good answers already. I had surgery last year at the age of 49 and choose a homograph. This means only a baby aspirin a day. You need to look at the different valves and make a decission. Not an easy choice to make. Make a list of pros and cone about them all this might help. Good luck with you decission. martha

Hi Craig,

You'll find heart buddies here who have had very positive experiences with both kinds of valves, as well as some problems with both.

It seems that, from a general perspective, a lot of the pros and cons of different types of valves tend to balance out. What really makes the difference is usually each persons unique concerns and conditions. In other words, your choice will probably have more to do with your preferences, age, other health issues, etc., than a definitive determination of which type of valve is absolutely better.

Otherwise, there would be no choice because everyone would select the type of valve that was generally accepted as best but, so far, there is no such thing.

Good luck and hope your choice becomes clear to you soon.

Hi Craig

I'm from Central Scotland. I too need a replacement aortic valve. Unfortunately I am waiting on an appointment to speak to the surgeon and then I have to go on the waiting list. I am 40 and until recently have been very active with hillwalking and ski-ing. I have decided that I would prefer a pig valve as I do not want to have to take Warfarin for the rest of my life and have to give up my sports for fear of falling and bleeding etc. I am willing to take the risk of having another surgery in around ten years time in the hope that something better will be available which will last a lifetime or even a mechanical valve which doesn't require Warfarin. I'm not sure however whether I will have much of a choice on the NHS. I mentioned to the Cardiologist that I would like a pig valve but he said that a mechanical would be best. He wouldn't say much more and said I should speak to the surgeon. Which hospital will you be getting your surgery at? Did they say what type of valve you will be getting? I will be getting surgery at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Peachy

Hi craig

Hi craig

Craig.
I just had my congenital aortic stenosis fixed on 7/12. I had the Ross Procedure. You might be a candidate for this operation, have you discussed it with your surgeon. Check out an excellent site www.myrossprocedure.com.

As far as valves, you need to get educated and pick the valve you are most comfortable with. Don't let a doc tell you what you are getting until you are in agreement.

There are loads of folks on here who have a St. Jude valve and really dig it, coumadin and all.

I went with the Ross because of my age and health. But, it is not the right operation for everyone.

Welcome aboard!
-Mara

Latest posts

Back