Angio versus Echo???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemember

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well, I had been sailing along blissfully in the waiting room - 6 months checkups which showed MVP - moderate to severe regurg with all heart measurements within normal ranges. Then I had my appendix out four weeks ago and wasn't happy with how long it took me to recover. It really knocked me out for a couple of weeks. So I went back to my cardio and asked him what he thought. He ordered another echo which came back moderate regurg and normal heart sizes. He said unless anything changed to come back and see him in April.

Because of VR.com and what I have read here I asked him if I could see a surgeon now rather than later. I said that I wanted to be sure I was happy with the surgeon and to talk things through earlier rather than later. He was surprised but agreeable and sent me off to have an angiogram first. So I had the angio on Monday. It showed very severe regurg and mildly dilated LA. :eek:

Which test is more accurate - have others had widely differing results between an echo and an angio?? I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow...

I'm glad you pushed. Did you have both a left and right cath? they are more accurate than the echo. Good luck tomorrow w/ the surgeon. Lyn

So glad you pushed too-I believe the angio is more accurate. Be sure and report back on how you make out with the surgeon.

My surgeon said the TEE is more accurate than the cardiac cath. I guess they all have their own opinions. My TEE showed moderate to severe regurgitation, with the blood backflow at an angle, my cath showed moderate regurgitation. My heart is normal size. The cardiologists (I had two for these tests) said the regurgitation was more than they liked to see.

Generally the angiogram is more accurate than an echocardiogram. Louise mentioned the TEE, but I'm confident you didn't have a TEE. (I'm pretty sure you would have mentioned it!)
Good luck at the surgeon's, and let us know his opinion (please :) )!

I'll back up what others have said. I asked this exact question, and my Cardio told me in terms of accuracy:

1. TEE
2. Angiogram
3. Standard Echo
4. Stethoscope

As an addendum - both my Angiogram and TEE showed my regurgitation to be MUCH worse than the standard echo did.

MikeHeim said:
I'll back up what others have said. I asked this exact question, and my Cardio told me in terms of accuracy:

1. TEE
2. Angiogram
3. Standard Echo
4. Stethoscope

As an addendum - both my Angiogram and TEE showed my regurgitation to be MUCH worse than the standard echo did.

Cracking your sternum and taking a peek is actually the most accurate, if not most inconvenient method. My surgeon discovered during my AVR that my valve was much worse than any of the tests or symptoms had indicated.
Mark

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback - it is much appreciated. I did have a TEE - about 18 months ago - it showed moderate to severe regurg and agreed with the echos but obviously things could have changed since then.

Lyn, I did have left and right heart caths.

Will let you know how I go with the surgeon today. I'm also going to ask him for his explanation of why the angio was different from the echos. :confused:

Latest posts

Back