Aneurysm Size and Scar Tissue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKAFrench

Hello to all! I have been reading a lot of posts about aneurysms and the sizes that everyone (cardios and surgeons) say an operation is needed. My current situation leads me to my questions.

I am setting up my fourth OHS (April 29th), mainly because of the size of the aortic aneurysm. With this being the fourth surgery, I have had the aortic valve replaced multiple times and scar tissue has obviously built up around the area.

I have an aortic aneurysm that measures 6.3. This is an alarming size by all means, but in talks with my cardio, we have discussed the scar tissue around the aneurysm acting like a reinforcement wrap. Does anyone have any information that would back that up?

We are obviously moving forward with the surgery, but I would like to see if there is any information about this theory. A 6.3 Aneurysm is definitely a cause for surgery, but my surgeon recently did a replacement on a aneurysm measuring closer to 10 with no rupture. I am obviously worried about a rupture, and pray that it doesn't happen before my surgery, but I feel like this theory has to hold some water.
i
I have had no symptoms like everyone describes of an aneurysm/stenosis, and lead a very active and at times strenuous lifestyle. Has my body adjusted to this change? Is my age a major factor?

Maybe I have just adjusted to the feeling of being tired and think this is how everyone feels...I don't know...anyway, just wanted to see what everyone thinks and how people feel about this theory.

I have never heard of anything like that, as far as scar tissue "reinforcing" the aneurysm. Glad you're getting it fixed asap. Are they going to do a Bental Procedure in which the new valve and aortic graft are one piece?

Hello AKA

My surgeon told me the same. I also had scar tissue and it would hold better than a normal person he told me. I got it done, like you my lifestyle is intense, I did not take a chance.

I had 0 symptoms too, I was in better shape than most other rednecks around me.

Haha, most rednecks in this area have a trophy beer belly that they proudly display! Might be attributed to the good food...but mostly it's the beer.

I am happy to hear that your surgeon told you the same. It makes sense to me, but I am no surgeon or doctor. It gives me a little solace to think that it is a bit stronger than the normal aorta, but still worried about a rupture. Setting up flights and hotels now, this might add to the stress a bit!!

Hahah yeah, when you are like us, you got to prove your ****, those guys have strong arms but tend to grow the belly easy haha

Yeah I was 4.9 and my surgeon told no more heavy lifting and be careful with blood pressure but still told me my scar tissue makes it stronger. You have a date yet ?

Hi

never heard of that before ... I'd had 2 OHS before they found my aneurysm and there was no suggestion of that made at all. Indeed there was only a hint of urgency at getting it done and warnings about strong exertion.

Without any measurement and inspection to check that scar tissue is contributing to structure rather than tugging on it akwardly, I'd say its like "how many bullets do you want in the cylinder of your revolver before you spin?" Me I want none.

I love the responses, the official date is April 29th. I am excited that I have the flight and hotel set up now...a couple less things to worry about.

Pellicle- I agree that a true measurement of the thickness of scar tissue would be the only way to know the contributing strength factor. But I agree----I want no bullets in the gun!

JulienDu- I'm not sure about that...I'm going to have to do some research!

AKAFrench;n863564 said:
... the official date is April 29th. I am excited that I have the flight and hotel set up now...a couple less things to worry about.

excellent!! Best Wishes for a smooth outcome

Pellicle- I agree that a true measurement of the thickness of scar tissue would be the only way to know the contributing strength factor. But I agree----I want no bullets in the gun!

a tense but fascinating movie with a bunch of actors you'll know

Also told the same by my surgeon, first cardiologist said that my aorta at 4.16 mm would be replaced and even sent me a letter stating the fact, then when I saw the surgeon the one only time prior surgery the week before he said the scar tissue would hold it. One in the cylinder for a long spin haha.

Curious are you still allowed to drive ?

Warrick--I have had absolutely no restrictions put on me from the surgical team or my cardio. I have been working, driving, and going about my daily routine without a hiccup. Is there a specific reason I should not drive when I have no symptoms?

Pellicle--I really want to see that movie, thanks for the suggestion!

No I just recalled that here in NZ there are driving restrictions with aneurysms but then I looked it up and found what I had read "When driving should cease
An individual with a thoracic aneurysm of greater than 6.5 cm diameter, or abdominal aortic aneurysm of greater than 5.5 cm, or another vascular abnormality at risk of dissection or rupture, is normally considered unfit to drive. Individuals with Marfans Syndrome should not drive if they have an aneurysm of greater than 4.5 cm."

Wow, I'm glad that they don't have those restrictions here! I would have been restricted from driving a while ago. Although, more strict driving regulations would probably benefit us here in the US...they will give ANYONE a drivers license!!

Ok, so I like having all the information I can...but I am starting to drive myself crazy!! My aneurysm size is starting to get me more and more nervous about a dissection. The more research I do on BSA and aortic size, and complications attributed to aneurysms; the more I feel like it is too long of a wait for this surgery! I know I need to calm down, but the impending threat of a dissection is something I wanted to avoid by getting this surgery. Now, I feel like I should have started this process a long time ago. I know I am going through the pre-surgery crazies...but sometimes it takes over!

Some of my craziness:
"Should I be in bed trying to avoid strenuous activities or any activity?"
"Is work going to stress me out too much and cause a dissection?"
"Should I be intimate?"
"Should I prep for the worst outcome of surgery?"
"Will I make it to surgery?"
"Should I be biking still?"
"What if I do Dissect? What would I do? What could I do?"
"Am I going to dissect if I pick this up?"
"How and when would people find me out here?"
"Is this all in your head?"
"Stop thinking you crazy bastard!"

Obviously I jest in the last two, but I can't stop these things from running through my head....

My Cardio and my surgeon both said I should start planning so it doesn't become an emergency situation, but that was in December...Has it been long enough to become an emergency? I am going in for an echo tomorrow to see what, if any, changes I have had in my aneurysm size...

I think I just need to vent a bit...

AKAFrench;n863796 said:
"Is this all in your head?"
"Stop thinking you crazy bastard!"

Obviously I jest in the last two, but I can't stop these things from running through my head....

My Cardio and my surgeon both said I should start planning so it doesn't become an emergency situation, but that was in December...Has it been long enough to become an emergency? I am going in for an echo tomorrow to see what, if any, changes I have had in my aneurysm size...

Don't apologize or minimized these feelings. There are few, if any, who approach this surgery without a lot of justified concern. Thankfully you should get some info from your echo tomorrow and you can begin to put things in perspective.

AKA, I am with you, I do not know why they make you wait 5 month with a 6.3, I would be in the same mood as yours right now. Tell them you have pain in the chest and maybe they will move their ass...

Hey French

AKAFrench;n863796 said:
Ok, so I like having all the information I can...but I am starting to drive myself crazy!!

I think that's a sign that you've got as much as you can handle and its time to consolidate by just brewing. Don't think about it and let your sub couscious percolate on all the facts.

I also think its important to talk about things, even if they seem irrational. Its important to voice it and equally its important to listen to the answers. Sometimes you'll reject the answers, but that's good too. Look in your memory for something you were sure of but now realise was wrong and you believe / do things differently. That took time too.

I think part of it is coming to grips with the questions we don't ask, the questions about why we feel as we do when presented with the facts. Its very easy to present the argument "well you should be worried" ... but you know, how much goes on around us which could have killed or injured us but we just didn't know.
The person who was about to reach for their phone but gave up and then manged to not run you over on the pedestrian crossing.

I've written this little piece to express my own discoveries regarding the big ticket items which rocked my world recently (and indeed probably continues to destabilise me in terms of how others may perceive me).

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/09/denial-or-delusion.html

I hope there is something in there for you too at this time.

I think you're on the right track and I think we've all had our own version of what you're going through.

Best Wishes

So, the aneurysm has not increased in size according to the echo! This is good news, but I am still highly anticipating this surgery. Just to get it out of the way, and give me some peace of mind when it comes to this aneurysm. I definitely feel better knowing that it isn't constantly increasing in size, and getting me closer to a dissection. I am still getting those mixed feelings though...I don't really want to have surgery, but I want this to be over!! These mind battles will be here till they put me under for surgery, so I will just have to take a deep breath and keep moving forward!

Thank you for your responses, they help to placate my crazy mind. I will keep everyone updated as the date gets closer. Thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Back