Anemic or bad habit??????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper2

HI everyone,hope this question finds you all healthy and happy:)

All my doc's are away on holidays at same time and i will find out
whats up with me but maybe someone has some advise.

Surgery was Jan but when they removed the water and ice after i got home all i could tolerate was ice or water.but now ice has to be near me

Now i'm finding im craving the ice on a constant basis im going through 2 kg bag of ice in a day.:eek: seems my body just cant get enough is this a sign of
somethings wrong with me sides addicted.
Thanks for any info cus i heard at work it could be a sign of anemia
Is it something i need to address soon or should i be concerned.
This started up with me over a month ago.

Docs use the term "pica" to describe craving and chewing substances that have no nutritional value — such as ice, clay, cornstarch or paper. Craving and chewing ice is often associated with iron deficiency anemia. I would call my doc and ask if a lab test could be ordered to check for this deficiency. Be careful, use shaved ice as chewing on hard ice could damage your teeth.

A couple of years ago, I had to have a cup of ice with me all day long. I did this for about a year. When I went to my ob/gyn for my yearly checkup, he told me I was anemic. I ended up having a hysterectomy. Within a couple of weeks of that, I absolutely had NO interest in eating ice at all. I haven't crunched a piece since then. Of course, then I had to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to repair all the cracks in my teeth.

I would get a blood test just to make sure.

Kim

I crave ice everyday. I never did before this last surgery. Never even thought about eating it. I even went online to buy an ice crusher. When I am in a restaurant that has really great ice,I ask for a really big cup of it on the way out. All my blood tests are good.

Mine has been Water! Never drank so much water in my life! I use to be the biggest tea drinker ever, I do drink decaf tea but I must have my Water in a bottle! LOL!

Think i'll luv ice forever and now on iron which is making
my tummy yukky feeling ,occording to doc my reserves
are very low on my test so he started me on iron and
have a vampire test again in 3 weeks....still chewing on
the ice though
How longs a person have to be on iron? i feel ukky on it

the ice though

My SIL is/was on iron, it was making her sick to the stomach and unable to eat much, either. How much are you taking? can you cut it back to half, or take two smaller doses? I think if your iron is low, you could could be on it for a while, I don't think it absorbs that fast; also look into taking folic acid, I think that's the one, it helps the body absorb iron from all sources.

Deb, I'm anemic and I take Iron. I was told to only take it alone after a meal not with any other vitamins or presciptions. That has help my stomach not feel so yuk! Thought i would pass that on. Good Luck. :)

My SIL is/was on iron, it was making her sick to the stomach and unable to eat much, either. How much are you taking? can you cut it back to half, or take two smaller doses? I think if your iron is low, you could could be on it for a while, I don't think it absorbs that fast; also look into taking folic acid, I think that's the one, it helps the body absorb iron from all sources.

Ive only started on 4oo mg friday he says my reserves are very low
and today its effecting me tried taking it different time and course that was too close to yesterdays time and YUKKKKKKKKKKKKK hard on a tummy rather eat ice,which today i just ate it by the bag ful omgosh anyone drives with me or talks to me or looks at me i dont talk much mouths full of ice oh sight for sore eyes my mom was starting to lose it with my addiction lol or whatever ive got:eek: any how folic acid,im willing to try and will phone my druggist in morning .....iron wow what potent ingredient it is for me,anyhow my tummy
feels terrible and dislikes iron,found that much out for sure:(
thanks for all other advise to take alone etc and without other vitamins
ill keep giving it a whirl before i stop it entirely cus i hate it already:rolleyes:

the ice though

I was pleasantly informed that I have to take the horrid iron pill for 3 months! something about anemia and hemoglobin.. I tried to trade off telling them I would eat loads of spinach ...no go. But I am very glad I am off the lasix and the huge potassuim pill...

Linda

Latest posts

Back