anasthesia regression (pumphead) related to MTHFR methylation issues.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4myhealth

I am day 7 post op for cabg and AVR, immediately following surgery my wife said the nurses were concerned because I hadn't regained conciousness and were having a hard time of it. She was also concerned by my very yellow pallor as it had been a radiant pink prior to surgery.Upon awakening I was very uncoordinated and groggy up until discharge 4 days later. I couldn't carry on a conversation and my tongue felt like it was really thick. I have a genetic polymorphism called MTHFR 1298 and it deals with how my body converts chemicals to less toxic forms. It is known that children with ASD have usually 2 copies ie. both parents--I have only one copy. The reason I mention ASD is that research show they have a very hard time with general anasthesia ( due to the failure to metablolise and discard the chemicals used)
When I returned home I resumed the MTHFR protocol (google Amy Yasko MD for more info or Phoenix Rising/methylation issues) and have begun to regain my ability to focus, realizing it is going to take a while to return to pre op status.
I am not up to long winded debate or discussion of treatment modialities the info is on the web. I am putting this out there as it related to me and likely relates to others suffering post anasthesia mental cobwebs. The rate of MTHFR in the general population is estimated at around 45-60% and is likely to be epigentic in nature ( it may not appear until a stressor). A methylation defect can be diagnosed with genetic testing (23 and me) or is very heavily suspected with elevated homocysteine and or MMA testing available anywhere-the reasons for this are also available at the Google button. A deficiency of any of the nutrients involved in the methylation cycle independent of MTHFR( methylcobalim-B12, methylfolate-acive folic acid, B6 and some others) will also hamper the bodies ability to assure your recovery to regain cognition.

An apology for misspelling--I am functioning about 50% --but I had to post this for those it will help.

Hi and welcome to the group.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but thanks for letting me know of yet another piece of the puzzle. I was about 6 months beforeI could focus my eyes as well as pre surgery and think as well. As im a software engineer it made starting back at work a bitt worrisome

I didnt know of pump head back then, it was only after that that i came to know what was going o:) n.

Latest posts

Back