Anaesthetics for Unrelated surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gillian (in UK)

I feel bad because I only seem to send a message when I am in trouble. I had my AVR two years ago (tissue) and afterwards had very bad atrial fibrillation. Since then I am on medication for high blood pressure. And I also use a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea.

I now have gynae problems (an ultra sound shows the lining of the uterus is thickened) and the consultant wants to do an "oscopy" under anaesthetic to see what is going on (we used to call it D & C - dusting and cleaning!) and she is concerned about my history, so I am going to see my cardiologist. Maybe I will need a hysterectomy.

I am just starting to "live" again after years of caring for a very dear sick husband who died in November. Now I wish I had kept quiet about my very minor symptoms and continued to relish being alive and catching up on 20 years of missed holidays.

Any thoughts about having anaesthetics in my situation would be appreciated.

Dear Gillian-

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your dear husband. I am so sorry.

I have been wondering how you have been doing and am distressed to hear that you are possibly facing another, though unrelated, surgery.

I think your cardiologist will have some good ideas regarding anesthetics during surgery, for you. With the sleep apnea which can cause pulmonary problems in some people, coupled with your heart situation, you will probably have the best anesthesiologist available if and when surgery becomes necessary.

Please stay in touch here and let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Hello there, Dear Friend - we have missed you, and it's nice to see you.

I am so sorry to hear that you might be in trouble again. You have been through so much. If this is a 'have to' you will go well-armed once again because of the nice people here who can tell you more than I can. I will continue to follow your thread to see how it goes. My best thoughts and prayers are yours, Gillian - Ann

Latest posts

Back