Amount of Blood Required for Protime

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JimChicago

I was looking at a comparison chart of the Coaguchek versus the Protime (at: http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/reprint/323/7319/985.pdf ) and it said quantity of blood required to run a test was 10 ul for the Coaguchek versus 65 ul for the Protime.
Were those figures aproximately accurate? Does the Protime require 6 times the amount of blood that the Coaguchek does?

Hi Jim,

I've got the pro-time 3 unit and it requires a couple good size drops of blood. I think the older model required a little more than my model. It is easy to use and I haven't had a problem getting enough blood.

Jim

Jim

Protime. After you have inserted the cuvette..it take 2 minutes on warming..Keep you pricking finger (hand) under hot water for 1 1/2 min. dry off good. Prick outside of finger holding your hand below waist. You will have blood flowing fast from finger. You have to dab the first flow and then fill cup. Takes about 3 good drops. It won't be enough to require a bandage around finger, ect. You can do that later. If needed..but finger stops bleeding within minutes.Bonnie

The difference in the amounts makes it sound like you need to open a main artery to get blood for the Pro-Time. :eek: In reality, it is just a few good drops. It's really very easy to do. The key was which one my insurance company would pay for and QAS had a deal with my insurance company and it was paid 100%. It would have cost me $2000. I just ordered another batch of 25 cuvettes and lancetts. I paid $30, the price is supposedly $300.

Karlynn

Hi Karlynn,

I am interested in the price difference you stated. Can you PM me where you obtained this? Thanks,

Zipper

Karlynn:
We purchased the ProTime machine directly from QAS in March 2001. We had to cover the cost ourselves, but QAS did offer a discount on the machine itself. We have also had to pay the full price, $300. per box of 25, in the past. I, too, would be interested in the price difference you stated. I would greatly appreciate any information and assistance you might send by PM.
Kind regards,
Blanche

Capillary Tubes

Capillary Tubes

The Coaguchek only requires one little drop of blood on the test strip. However I had trouble even getting this amount on the target. Then Roche told me about capillary tubes and all has been well. The capillary tube draws the blood in and then you put the end of it directly over the spot on the test strip and squirt it on with a little rubber bulb on the other end of the tube. I asked Lance if this could be used with the Protime and the answer is no...it requires too much blood. Having said this , note that most people have no touble filling the Protime cup.

I pay what my insurance doesn't cover on supplies. Last year they paid 100%, this year it is 90%. Makes me wonder what next year will bring. When I was looking into a home monitor I ended up with the Pro Time because that is the one my insurance company would help with. I don't know what the cost of the Coagucheck was. I'm not surprised that QAS (and probably Coagucheck) offer discounts for those who's insurance doesn't chip in. That would be the smart thing to do. I live less than a mile from the lab where I used to go to to get my INR, so a $2000 expense would have been a hard sell for my husband.

I find my ProTime very easy to use. I don't find the amount of blood to be an issue at all. I take my cuvette out of the fridge the night before, so I can test first thing in the morning. I just warm up my hand a bit by massaging towards the fingers. They say you aren't supposed to "scrape" the blood into the little cup, but I've never been coordinated enough to get the drop to just fall right in, so I do scrape. I've only received one error reading due to a bubble issue (which is why they tell you not to scrape).

Karlynn

I understand there is a difference between the old Protime unit and the new Protime unit - that the new model requires less blood. I was wondering how to tell the difference between the new one and the old one. Is it that the new one uses the 3 channel cuvettes whereas the old one used the 5 channel cuvettes?
Thanks for everybody's help!

I use capillary tubes with Roche Coagucheck as well. I was told that it may change the reading just a bit because of lag time in filling the tube, but oh it's borderline foolproof. Trying to get contorted to get my fat finger in place cost me some strips that were wasted.

New Rep

New Rep

Hello,

My name is Mark MacDonald and I am a new rep here at QAS. I will be monitoring this website daily, so please feel free to call post any questions or concerns. Also, my email adress is [email protected].

Regarding the difference between Protime 5 channel and Protime 3, channel, the answer is simple. The five channel cuvettes are red, and the 3 channel are blue. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Mark

Thanks Mark -
I was wondering if in the techical specs for the 3 channel protime that requires a drop and a half of blood - if they say how many microliters that corresponds to? I gues I think digital and would just like to know a better idea of comparison since the place I go to now has to sqeeze my finger a lot to get enuff for the Coaguchek.
Also - does anyone know if there are any places in the Chicagoland area that test with the Protime - where I might go to get an INR test just to see how the tenderlett and everything works?

Jim, the Protime System uses 27ul of blood. I do not know where you can go to use the ProTime in Chicago.

Bummer!

Bummer!

Hey Jim, Too bad I didn't know you wanted to try it in Chicago. I had mine with me and had plenty of supplies! I could have tested every finger if you so desired :(

Latest posts

Back