Amiodarone and Coughing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

Six days after my AVR Surgery, I experienced an episode of AFib while I was still in the hospital. I was put on an IV Amiodarone and it got the AFib under control. When I was discharged my cardio kept me on Amiodarone and have been on it ever since. I have had this nagging cough since I came home from the hospital. I kept telling the doctors that I had read Amiodarone caused dry coughing but they kept me on it. Had a bronchoscopy earlier this week to rule out any damages to my vocal cords, larynx or bronchial tubes. All was negative. My cardio took me off the Amiodarone Tuesday.

What do you know...cough is almost gone! Don't know if it was a coincidence or that was the cause, but I sure am glad I'm not coughing my head off.

Yes, coughing can actually be a serious side effect of amiodarone. Glad you're off it - doctors seem to reach for that drug first, when it's supposed to be used as a last resort. I was on it for a month when the dr took me off cold turkey. No problems since.

I was on it for a few months and never had any outward side effects. But I'm glad that your cough has stopped, these medicines affect everyone differently.

I was on it, but no caugh. I do think it caused all kinds of other funky things thought. I just never felt right while I was on it. It did kick the afib out though.

I asked my Doc why he pulled out the atom bomb first thing, he he has a good answer. For someone who just comes down with afib out of the blue, he would try a progession of meds frist. For someone who just came out of open heart surgery, and had reduced heart functions, they want to araest this fast. He explained continued afib could imapare the healing process.

Either way, got off the amio after 3 months and never had afib again,,,,,, so far

Back