Am Home From Surgery 4/4/02

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jude02wa_ca

dark blue :)
Hi Everyone.
It's Judi from Washington who had valve replacement & aneurysm repair on 4/4//02.
You all were a great support to me cause I am kinda away from home up here in the Great Northwest (family in Calif)
After 1st night of surgery prognosis of 50/50 (didn't do well once taken off the heart lung machine, had to be paddled) by the next day my surgeon upped it to 85+ and am "doing great" - his words.
Came home yesterday afternoon, hosp then 3 days "rehab".
Am incredibly tired today, have little strength, but have lots of Healthy choice dinners & soup to keep me strong.

I really noticed last night that my sleep was real unrestful & wondered if you all experienced this? Could not get comfortable, then woke a few times in kinda a panic/still cannot sleep on left side cause I keep feeling the heartbeats & am afraid I will hurt the valve :)? 1st night away from hospital setting may have made me scared. Also still have real pain in my shoulder blades ) dull ache. The actual incision hardly hurts at all!! Real surprised.
Other than theses "minor" problems, all is going well, and more importantly, my surgeon said my lab number & incision looks "great"
Will keep posting as I fnd all you experiences so helpful.... I asked my brother to post in my absence, but he was really spooked by all this & never got around to it.
Onward and Upward!

Glad to hear your over the mountain and taking the walk down.

Your sleep pattern will get better over time, but don't expect to sleep comfortably real soon. Your body has been through major trauma and it will take awhile to get back to a normal phase. If I told you about my sleep behavior, I think you'd think I was really off the deep end. What your experiencing is quite normal.

Your shoulder blades hurt because of the rib spreader. That too should resolve in all due time. Now, just follow your Doctors orders and try to get as comfortable as possible.

Glad to see you back with us!

Last edited:
Hi Jude,

So good to hear from you! Hope you have a speedy, full and healthy recovery. Sounds like you went through some touch and go situations, and glad you are now home.

Let us know how you are doing as time goes on, and fill us in on your surgery.

Rob

Hi Jude-

It's so good to hear from you and that you're finally starting to feel a little more normal. Sorry to hear that you had that difficult episode first day after surgery, and I'm so glad all is resolved.

You sound well and all those other things are really pretty much expected for this type of surgery, annoying as they are.

Thanks for letting us all know. We'll be talking to 'ya.

Hi Jude:

I was glad to hear that you have overcome the surgery problems. I had aortic valve replacement and double bypass Dec. 21 with no problems but still have problems sleeping. I seem to wake every hour or so but I do go back to sleep again. The thing that bothered me the most for the first couple of months was feeling the heartbeat through my whole body. I would listen to see if it was steady. But now I very seldom hear it so distinctly.

Just keep yourself busy and keep up with your exercises even if only to walk around your own house.

Aida

Hi Jude,

Fitful sleep is the rule of the day for the first few weeks. I found myself sleeping no more than 3 hours at a time for some time following bypass surgery.

Many people find it more comfortable to sleep in a Recliner until their sternum becomes solid enough to allow sleeping on your side in comfort. Another option would be to get one of those inclined foam supports for your regular bed.

As everyone says, keep exercising every day. Most days, you will be able to do just a little more than the day before and that will give you more energy and stamina along with increased hope for the future.

Keep On Keepin' On !

'AL'

50-50? Sounds like you were in an iffy position. But sounds like you are doing well now. Everybody has trouble finding a good position to sleep - time takes care of it, but in the meantime you just have to hunt a spot that suits you, even if it's sleeping in a chair. It will all come together in its own time, believe me. Glad to hear from you. Been wondering. God bless

HI Judi,

It's nice to hear from you again. Many of us were wondering how you made out in your surgey. I'm sorry to hear that you had those "minor" problems right away and that you're feeling so tired now.

Try to get a little excersise every day and each day a little more than the day before. It will help rebuild your stamina and probably help you sleep a bit better. Also, time will be a great ally. The pain in your chest will soon be a "discomfort" and then almost non-existent. Obviously, this will result in better sleep and less tiredness.

You will be amazed how good you will feel as the days and weeks go by.

I hope the rest of your recovery is uneventful and pleasently boring.

Ron K

Congradulations Judi.

I'm sure it's great to be home from the hospital. Although my 2 recent stays were quite a bit shorter than it sounds like yours was, I was thrilled to be home.

Prior to surgery, I was able to find a reclining adjustable bed at a garage sale, which helped me get some sleep. I also don't mind sleeping on my back, although my wife says I snore while on my back. I think she's making that up. :) Anything is better than trying to sleep in the hospital

Good luck with your recovery.

Chris

Hi Jude,

Glad to hear your doing better. Sleep is something you getin maybe two to three hour intervals. I couldn't lay in a bed at home for about three weeks. It hurt to lay on my back, even with lots of pillows. Lying on my side was excruciating too, so my only recourse was the recliner. I also was afraid of hurting my new valves. I needed to be partially sitting up. Every few days I would try the bed again. After about 3 weeks I could finally lay in bed and sleep. Just try to get as comfortable as you can.

Do your exercise, a little more and more each day and you will start feeling stronger and stronger. Welcome to the other side! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hi Jude!
Yeah, you made it!
I found the major issue I have run into is the fatigue after doing something. (Maybe I just try to do too much.)
Yes sleeping is a hassle, but still better than what I got in the hospital. It was 3 weeks before I could sleep on my right side, still have issues on my left side.
Everyday will get better.
Wishing you the best!
carbo

Latest posts

Back