Altitude ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zipper

This is probably a dumb question...but...Does changing altitudes have any effect on INR ?

I've stayed at sea level all thetime I've been on coumadin, but I'm planning to go 'higher up'..lol..any concerns I should be aware of ?

Thanx,

Zipper *~*

I live at 4,700 feet. Above 6,000 ft you should watch for any signs of shortness of breath. Also, the air is much dryer, so you might have a problem with nosebleed. Ocean or another saline mist can help prevent this. The ski lodges in Colorado have humidifiers. If you have one, run it. Our temperature was near zero today with 15% humidity. When you take this air and warm it to 70 degrees, it would make Phoenix feel like a swamp by comparison.

Hi Al,

Question! I am going to Oregon soon, and want to go up Mt. Hood to see the views. (Hope it is a clear day) The altitude is 12000 ft. Would I have any problems you think? I have not done anything like that since my valve surgery. I have a mechanical valve. Would love to have your input before I go up.
Also want to tell you again how much I appreciate your input on this forum.
Thanks a bunch.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical

Hi Christina,

Can't comment on the coumadin issue. But being from this neck of the woods and an avid skier, I can say the Timberline Lodge (the lodge with the highest elevation of the 5 in the area) is at about 6000 ft. Plenty to see at that level and the only way up any higher is a ski lift or to climb.

Now if your climbing to the top of Mt. Hood, )a pretty technical climb from what I understand) the summit is at 11.200.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the Northwest.

Chris

Hi,

I was in Maui shortly after my sugery, and went to the top of the volcano there. I think it was 13,500 ft above sea level. I had no problems, even rode the bike down.

Rob

Hi Christina

You will be just fine. Drink water, start this a few days prior and continue. Ascend slowly. Like Rob, I have been up in the mountains of Hawaii and Colorado post MVR. Did just dandy!

Have a wonderful trip!
PS. Rob I was too chicken to ride the bike. Good for you!

From what I can find, the Timberline Lodge is about 8,000 feet. I'm assuming that you are not going to climb but just drive up to there. For comparison, this is only slightly higher than Flagstaff. Mt. Lemmon is quite a bit higher. These are some AZ references so you can judge how you think you will do.

I used to live on the Navajo Reservation in Ganado. Just 325 miles north on Oracle till the road ends then turn right.

altitude

altitude

The elevation where I live is 6,280 There are mountains all around us... as high as 14,000 feet. We visit them often... hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, etc.

I?ve lived here all my life though... Not sure if the makes a difference? It?s still changing elevation by three or four thousand feet when we go to the mountains. ??

We had a family reunion and camped out for three days last summer at an elevation of approx. 9,000 ........I?ve never had a problem with it. :cool:

Rain

Hi, and thanks to all who gave me their input. I am looking forward to my trip to Oregon and to see the beautiful views from the mountains. We are planning on driving, so no climbing. I am sure we'll do a lot of walking though. We are planning on staying at the lodge.
Al, I have not gone up to Mt. Lemmon or Flagstaff since my surgery. Would you believe the state is charging a fee now to go up to Mt. Lemmon (just another tax) and see the views or go on a picnick. Camping has an additional charge per night. Unbelievable!
I am a rebel and refuse to pay another tax. I'll probably have to cave because it is just gorgeous to go there for a long weekend during our hot summers. It's about 20 degrees cooler!
Be well my friends! I feel 'MAVALOUS'. LOL!:D :D

Christina

Yeah! You have to pay $5.00 to pull off the road by Sedona now.

Rain, As soon as I saw your name, I knew you were going to say something about where you live. It does make a difference if you live at high elevation. We average more red blood cells than those below us. Were planning to go to Pagosa and soak up some minerals over July 4th.

Hi Rain

Long time no talk. Hope all is well with you.

Al, I believe Rain takes a very low dose of Coumadin. 3mg or so a a day. Correct Rain?

Question....if you are producing more red blood cells does that increase or decrease your potential to clot? Would onees clotting time naturally prolong due to the higher altitude?

Just curious.
Thanks

Usually, RBC have nothing to do with clotting.
The term for many red blood cells is polycythemia.
P vera is when the body makes too many RBCs for no reason.
There are several other forms of P. The high altitude form occurs in those of us who live up high because the %age of oxygen in the air is lower so we need RBCs to carry oxygen to our tissues.
Smokers also get P over time. As they damage their lungs they get less oxygen to the tissues so the body thinks it is suffocating and calls for more RBCs to be made. Grossly obese people have more tissue that needs oxygen so they keep making more RBCs. I have seen all three types. I said usually RBCs have no effect on clotting but once their hematocrit (the % of blood which is RBCs) gets above 50% their blood becomes like sludge and they are at very high risk for clotting. The treatment for P vera is to go to the blood bank and have them draw off a unit and discard it. The people do not suffer because they do not need these RBCs. But for smokers and the obese, they do need the RBCs. So if you do draw off a unit, then they are short of breath. They have a choice of stopping smoking, losing weight or heading for the big Coumadin Clinic in the Sky. Usually the latter comes first. They get a clot and it goes to the lung or the body just gives up and they go into respiratory arrest.

Thank goodness for my monitor.

Thank goodness for my monitor.

Pagosa is beautiful. But..... The smell of sulfur gets really bad sometimes. Like REALLY bad. :( But you?ll love the hot springs. :cool:

Okay.. So I have plenty of RBC. :) I?ve always felt wonderful when I?m at the beach too... :)

Wait! ... So that means..when I go to the beach for a couple weeks, I probably need to up my dose to keep my RBC in control at the lower elevation? :confused: lol I recommend everyone buy a monitor and go where ever the heck you want to!! Who knew a mechanical valve could effect so many aspects of your life?? I try to forget I have one.. But dad gum it.. it?s really hard sometimes. lol

I?m currently taking 3 ½ mgs of coumadin a day. That seems to keep me between 2.5 and 4.0 :rolleyes: Mostly toward the high side... I always seem to have a few of those little red spots on my chest... :mad: and bruises.. but that's what seems to be working.

Rain

One more thing...

One more thing...

You know what makes a great humidifier?? A fish tank.

I have a 40 gallon tank and add over a gallon of water to it a day.

My PCP suggested it when my boys were young. It works great.

Rain

Last edited:
Rain,

We go to Pagosa every chance we get.

Red blood cells have nothing to do with clotting. But having lots of them is why you feel good when you go to the beach - you are moving lots of oxygen very easily. Just the opposite of people from sea level being short of breath in the mountains.

Sea Level

Sea Level

Ok, since I am from sea level..what do I do about shortness of breath if it occurs when I am at higher altitudes ?? I got the part about the dry air/possible nosebleed, but now wonder if I'll have trouble breathing....Yikes maybe I should stay by my ocean air!!!! I never had problems in altitudes before, but as I said, I haven't taken any trips that were not coastal since my surgery.

Zipper

Latest posts

Back