All Work And No Play Makes? (you just as bad as you were pre-surgery)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

greggo32

The purpose of this thread is to start a discussion on lifestyle modification. I am back to working 40 hours a week and I'm not doing my exercises anymore. Something has got to give! I did great at rehab. (though it made me tired). Yet, I am so bushed from work that I just can't get myself to exercise. I am thinking of cutting back to 35 hours/week. This realization took place when I looked at a website by St. Jude Medical. All of the these folks were talking about how active they are after their surgery. Well, I'm too inactive and I need to accept the fact that I'll have to make less money per week and approach my boss and risk a regative response.

If there are other folks out there who have been through this post surgery lifestyle dillema, I'd like to hear from you. If there are other folks who are getting back into the swing of things (post surgery) and you aren't exercising like you did in rehab. or post surgery, I'd like to hear from you. Frankly, I'd like to be in good shape for the VR.Com reunion so I can walk around Vegas and stay up late talking with everyone.

It does sound like a good thread to talk about.
I am 41 and will be 4 months post op in a couple of days.
I did not go to rehab and currently I am almost as active as I was before the surgery.
I work more than 40 hours a week, somewhere in 50 hours+ range.
I do spend at least 5 hours a week on a stationary bike and am planning to start going to the gym probably next week as my doc supported this idea. I almost have no problems with my energy level, though once in a while I have a bad day.
My life style changes are more in the area of what I eat and what I drink these days rather than how much I exercise.
My goal is to get to the level of around 10 hours of exercising a week as it was 5 months ago.
I think the exercising has helped me a lot during the first few month of my recovery and it is still keeping me motivated and positively looking at things.
I strongly believe that everybody after the surgery has to exercise at least 5 hours a week.

Hi Greg,

Hope you are doing OK these days.

Combining an exercise program and full time work can be 'challenging'. Following my ByPass, I began taking my lunch to work which I nibbled on all morning and then spent my lunch hour exercising at our company's training center where they had weights,
weight machines, treadmills, bikes, steppers, and other machines.

In the spring and summer, I push mowed 2.5 acres of my country property for variety, mowing for 60 to 90 minutes several days a week. That was good exercise but really worked up a good sweat here in the 'Sultry South'.

I know others who do their exercise before or after work. I always had a hard time getting motivated to exercise after work when all I want to do was get my DINNER. Then I would have to wait an hour or two before exercising.

Good luck finding a program that will work for you.

'AL'

hi greg!
good to see you back again!
joey works a long week as well, but we have this understanding that when he is done and gets home, we all wait for him to finish his workout before we sit down to dinner. it was this way before the surgery too.
he has, however, as he has gotten older, cut back his workouts and plays golf in addition on the weekends.
being the workout fanatic that i am, i can totally understand his need to workout and have no problem with waiting for him (neither do our kids, well, one at home who is a dancer and gets it too).
if this is too much for you, why not try adding your workouts slowly, little by little and increasing as you go along?
i often tell my kids the story of how i started working out.... i must have been about 15 and wanted to get fit. i ran around my parents' house once the first day, twice the second, and so on. by the time i was running around about 150 times, i decided it was time to hit the streets and the track. i havent' stopped working out since then.
my point is... start small and work up to time, distance, etc. maybe easing it into your lifestyle might take some pressure off?
hope you can make the time (even 20 min, 3 times a week is great) without feeling the pressure and tired.
good luck!
stay well, sylvia

Lifestyle modification?

Lifestyle modification?

Absolutely!

Greggo, I was pretty much a "slug" until I had double valve replacement surgery. I honestly believe my recovery (and discovery of an adjusted lifestyle) took me two years.

I was very energized right after surgery even going back to work after two weeks post-op (less than one week in hospital and one week at home). Work was actually therapeutic as it helped take my mind off medical issues.

Re-hab got me thinking in the direction of joining a gym and participating in various fitness events that I would never have considered before. However, I wasted about 6 months in my "discovery" mode, experimenting with different clubs, doing a couple of 5K walk/runs and getting my act together, including my ability to handle Coumadin and the dreaded monthly blood tests.

This website has been an inspiration. I no longer dwell on my Coumadin therapy. My diet changed drastically, I reduced alcohol and eliminated caffeinated coffee consumption and I think I am finally settled into a very positive, happy lifestyle. Medical issues now take a back seat to my daily routine.

My wife has been incredibly supportive in everything. We are currently discovering an empty nester's lifestyle as both of our kids are off to college. I have taken up serious golf again (after a 10 year hiatus) and enjoy focussing on my game. I am looking forward to getting back into the gym routine this winter and doing more strength training (to help my golf swing, of course).

I still tire easily, but I attribute it to all my medication which apparently is not going to change much forever more. So be it.

Greggo, please enjoy yourself in Las Vegas and especially making new friends at the Reunion. It is a fantastic experience. Give them all a hug for me, will you? I hope you will post some of your thoughts after you get back home.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Greg - Good topic for discussion. I never exercised before or after surgery, but was recently told my bad cholesterol was high and good cholesterol low. Exercise was recommended and taken (lost 10 pounds), but only as much time that I had available, after work and other priorities. Anyway, all that was walking in warm weather. I am concerned that I will cut back or avoid it more when it gets cold out.

excercise

excercise

I hear ya.. i was a couch potatoe before surgery.. then right after my AVR i had more energy than i had in a long time and rehab is really helping me (although i complane about leaving early to go strap on the heart monitor and ride the 'nazi bike' ) - i've quit alcohol and with my high cholesteral slowly making changes in my diet.. going cold turkey doesn't work for me.. so i've been slowly incorporating better food choices and that seems to work for me.. i work in a small sales office (phone sales in the produce arena) and some of the guys go at lunch to work out.. i've decided to do that also - after i'm done rehab.. unfortuantely, it is a lifestyle choice.. as everyone here, i have good days and i have not so good days.. some days i'm full of energy, others i'm more tired.. but i'm also on a bunch of meds which also contribute to that..

wish i was able to go to the reunion and meet everyone here.. even though i'm relatively new to the site.. but my boyfriend has his family reunion in Lousiana that weekend.. but i'll think about ya'll while we're frying a bunch of turkeys..

christine

From idea to practice

From idea to practice

Well, I swam 8 laps in an olympic size swimming pool. I used to swim 72 and then do weights; however, 8 is better than 0. I am so glad that others have responded to this thread. FYI, I didn't just give lipservice to my thought. I got off my ass and did something! Looking forward to seeing folks in Vegas and walking lots. Take care everyone

TENNIS ANYONE ?

TENNIS ANYONE ?

Good start Greggo !

One of the advantages of working out at a gym is the social contact which helps to overcome some of the boredom of working out alone (not to mention checking out the scenery :). Our cardiac rehab unit is part of a Wellness Center run by the Hospital so there are lots of people there. In addition, they usually have a couple of TV's tuned to CNN or Fox News to provide a little mental stimulation while you work out.

Another option is taking up some sort of competitive sport such as Tennis, Racket Ball (rather intense I hear), Soccor, Golf (although I wonder how aerobic that can be), or even Table Tennis.

You're right, it IS a lifestyle change.

Keep it up!

'AL'

An Idea

An Idea

Greg,

This is going to sound strange, but I have been out of the hospital a little over a week since my AVR. I too have the St. Jude. I am MUCH MORE energy since I had the surgery. Don't get me wrong, I am tired. I am starting work 1/2 days next week, then going to a normal schedule. What I think is helping me is that I am walking 40 minutes a day. 20 in the morning, 20 at night. I also bought a treadmill. Well worth the $$. It is right next to my bed, so I have no excuse other than to use it. I started using the treadmill in the hospital and loved it. I walk as much as I can. I notice that my circulation has significantly improved. I do rest and watch tv. However, I try to walk as much as possible. I truly believe that the more you walk, the better the circulation, the more energy you will have.

Seriously consider a treadmill. The benefits will definately outweigh the credit card bill.

FYI, I bought a NordicTrac 2000 XL from Sears for $900. It was regularly $1200. I had them deliver it (obviously). I really love it.

Good luck.

Dave

I have a Nordic Track I 'll sell cheap. Come and get it out of my mom's basement and it's yours. It's basically a thing to put clothes on right now. My mom got it 15 years ago used for 2 months and then there it sits. She swears every year she is going to start on it again.

The doctor told me I need to do weight training. Anyone know anything about any of the home gym type things out there, i.e. Total Gym, BowFlex, etc.?

I despise going to the gym because it seems that people are just there to have "face time." I really hate that. Even at the gym at Purdue it was all these guys on the Hammer Strength machines walking around flexing for everyone. Geez. Plus, I hate the thought of paying the monthly dues to a gym.

That said does anyone know anything about a 'gym' called Curves? I guess it is a women only thing. I think it is pilates.

Hi Mara-

Joe purchased a Vision Fitness motorized treadmill. It has a lot of bells and whistles. We both use it. If you're going to buy a treadmill, get the best one you can possibly get. It has more room, the treadmill belt is longer and it is more powerful. It has large handlebars and is fairly quiet.

He also got 3 station gym unit by Body Craft. You can work on every muscle group with it. Goes from 10 pounds to 200.

He didn't like going to the gym either. Waiting for the machine time and having to sign up, plus using a machine after lots of sweaty people did. He didn't even finish out the year contract. He did enjoy the "scenery", but not enough to compensate.

They're both pretty large.

Last edited:
Mara,
"Curves" has come to beautiful downtown Imlay City, and my wife is a regular member. But as you say it is a "women only" thing, so I haven't seen the inside yet; they are supposed to be having a guys night next month. A more athletic friend said "Curves" was rather boring, since you only have 30 seconds on each machine. But the first visit is free, sort of.
We also have a treadmill that was bought for one person but now is used by another (me). I THINK I'll continue on it...
"Free weights" are an enjoyable kind of training. You need a bench and some weights, and perhaps some training in the many different kinds of exercises. But they're much cheaper than the big machines.
I went to a gym to work out with some guys for most of a year, and that was good; I tried to do the same at home on my own, and lost interest.

weight training

weight training

I've been lifting weights for over 15 years, and have spent time with some pretty good trainers. Even if you want to exercise at home vs. a gym, I think it is imperative to learn the "right" way to lift, and almost as important, to stretch. There are advantages to machines, and advantages to free weights (like dumbbells and barbells), but many folks don't have room for a big home gym. I suggest working with a trainer (YMCA/YWCA, health club, gym, etc.) long enough to learn how to lift safely and how to advance safely.

Aerobic exercise (walking, Nordic Track, etc.) is the primary vehicle for getting our hearts back in shape, but weight training not only will condition all of your muscles, but can help eliminate a lot of those post-op residual aches and pains. Weights strengthen ligaments and tendons as well, and can actually add some bone mass (especially important for women). I've seen people in their late seventies who lift, and their posture is interesting...much more like someone in their thirties.

Successful exercise programs mean making exercise a way of life, not something you try to squeeze in as an option. I am 100 percent convinced that I would not have survived my 14 hour surgery without having exercised as much as I had.

Anyhow, I could go on for hours on this topic, but enough said!

Good luck with your exercise program!
--John

Hi everyone!

Nice thread! I was also a major exerciser before my AVR and since then I've pretty much just limited myself to brisk walking every day.

However, I just bought a "Pilates for Dummies" DVD and am wondering what type of effect these type of exercises might have on my valve. Perhaps I'm just worrying too much (now THERE'S a shock!) : ) but I wonder if the stretching and Yoga type exercises on this DVD might place some sort of undo strain on my mechanical valve. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Hope everyone's well.

Cheers,
Michelle

Michelle's comment

Michelle's comment

Dear Michelle,

I have had the same concerns about my mechanical valve. I was wondering if stretching or lifting could somehow damage the stitching and undo the proper seating of the prosthetic valve. I have a feeling we would have to lift a hell of a lot of weight or have someone nail us in the chest with something really heavy in order to damage the work that has been done. However, I am speculating. If anyone has any scientific data, please chime in.

I am wondering too, what weight lifting might do to the valve. I spoke with the cardio doc in Houston before the operation and he said I could go back to the gym doing weight lifting 2-3 months after the surgery. I spoke to my local doc in FL a couple of days ago and he did not see any problems with this either. I also wondering if I have any limitations on how high my pulse can go. I know that it is 220 minus your age then you take 80% of it, but is it OK for a mechanical valve?

Damaging valves

Damaging valves

You can not damage your valve by twisting, turning, stretching or lifting with the following caution: Do NOT ever engage in isometric types of exercise. An example would be using a tire iron to loosen a tight bolt, where you exert great pressure, but aren't moving. During isometric exercises, people tend to hold their breath and EXERT. This kind of exercise builds up lots of pressure in the great vessels, and valves don't like that! Power lifting is also to be avoided completely, same reason. As a point of clarification, the muscles used to lift and move are all exoskeletal muscles, that is, they are attached to the exterior of your skeletal structure. The heart is completely separated from these muscles, although it does "feed" them. Using your muscles CAN NOT pull on or dislogde your valve.

Reasonable weight training with weights up to forty pounds, where you can do the exercise while breathing normally, are fine for most people 100 days post-op. More or less weight would depend on your size, age, and other medical conditions. Take a good look are Arnold Schwartzenegger...he is 55, has had two valves replaced, and continues to move some pretty heavy iron, although he has backed off on the very heavy weights.

However, as with everything related to surgery, always talk to your doctor first. Many doctors can recommend places to get good training if you are new to this.

Best,
John

Last edited:
Post surgery Exercise

Post surgery Exercise

If you aren't exercising like you did post-op...ME Gregg..:mad: :mad: The first 2 months, I walked like crazy:D then the lazy, days of summer came...and I backed off..gained all my weigh back and some more.:mad: :mad: We went by the Mammouth Caves in Kentucky this weekend and I didn't dare go down into one after reading..you need to be able to climb 500 stairs, ect.and I am nearly 6 months...post-op..Tomorrow, I start my walking again. Should be cooler this week.:) :) Like anything else, I had good intentions butafter I felt better..I quit the walking...I think all of us Valvers need to walk at least 3 miles a day. Not all at once but during the day somehow. :) P.S. Anyone ever did the Mammouth Caves. Wow..Maybe we should have our next reunion there:D :D Bonnie

Try Mammoth Caves

Try Mammoth Caves

Excuse the first spelling..Mammoth Caves in Kentucky..Even the moderate tour you decend and climb 165 steps.:eek: Bonnie

Latest posts

Back