All pre-surgery tests done and ready to go.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimcdougc

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Had all the pre-surgery tests done yesterday for my May 23, 2013 AVR surgery. Now just waiting. I did find out I will be my surgeons second surgery on May 23rd. Not too happy with that but oh well I like him so be it. Just hope no emergencies come up that day so I don't have to postpone. Thank you all for your support. You are all way to kind.

______________________________________________________________________________________
In the waiting room AVR surgery May 23, 2013. On-x valve. Dr. Barnhart, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA.

Had all the pre-surgery tests done yesterday for my May 23, 2013 AVR surgery. Now just waiting. I did find out I will be my surgeons second surgery on May 23rd. Not too happy with that but oh well I like him so be it. Just hope no emergencies come up that day so I don't have to postpone. Thank you all for your support. You are all way to kind.

______________________________________________________________________________________
In the waiting room AVR surgery May 23, 2013. On-x valve. Dr. Barnhart, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA.

I had my AVR surgery last September. I was the first surgery of the day but got bumped back to the afternoon that morning because a patient from ER was a higher priority than I was. So up until the day, your time slot is not locked in. One of the cautions I always post on here is this. I had read on this board that when you come out of surgery all the tubes /connections look pretty serious. I cautioned my wife not to worry but she said she was stunned by the scene and really struggled to stay calm. That was at 6:00pm in recovery. By 9:00am I was sitting up in a chair. So make sure you tell whomever will join you in recovery not to panic at first sighting. It gets better pretty quickly
This week is 8 months and I am as good as new and fully back to doing anything I want.

Last edited:
I will be thinking of you as well!!!!! Mine was scheduled for 23 but now on for 29th. You will do great!

My surgery was scheduled for first but due to a transplant my surgeon had to do a couple nights before my op got pushed to Friday afternoon instead of friday morning. Don't fret, they took me in 1:00 pm pst and finished at 8:30 pm pst. These people are the professionals of professionals and will do whatever it takes!

I am going in Tuesday for a Mitral and Aortic Valve Replacement. I will be sending you possitive vibes!!! We can kick butt together :)

Hey kimcdougc, well the day is almost here. I know you are as prepared as you could ever be. You have done your research, decided on what options would be best for you and come the 24th you begin that new chapter in your life with a mended heart that will serve you well for many more years to come. I shall be thinking about you come Thursday.
Oh yea, I was looking back and my valve had a birthday this past Sunday. It has been working like a champ for 5 wonderful years.
Give um heck!!

Hey kimcdougc, well the day is almost here. I know you are as prepared as you could ever be. You have done your research, decided on what options would be best for you and come the 24th you begin that new chapter in your life with a mended heart that will serve you well for many more years to come. I shall be thinking about you come Thursday.
Oh yea, I was looking back and my valve had a birthday this past Sunday. It has been working like a champ for 5 wonderful years.
Give um heck!!

Chris,

Just what I needed right now today. It is kind of surreal. You get your suitcase out. Clean the house and just keep pondering. I am doing this voluntarily, no one is forcing me and I choose to have this surgery. Never mind the, your do it or die in a couple of years thing. Only those who have been through it understand the feelings of before...and after. Thank you so much for remembering me. Your thoughts are so appreciated. Kim

I just found out, 4 weeks ago that it is time for me to get a mechanical valve. My Surgeon, Dr. Hamman at Baylor in Dallas has also recommended the On-x valve, as well.
Good luck.

Hey all.. I found this website, by accident, while researching "something" in preparation for my AVR on June 27th.
I am an ACHDer thus always told this day would come. I guess I never thought it would be at age 43. I newly married with an almost 10yr old son and an 11yr old stepdaughter. I am a social worker in the healthcare (cardiac and geriatric) field but I don't know how to prepare and what to expect.
The symptoms I had, I thought was exacerbate asthma and allergies. My cardiologist compared my EKG from February and from last year and scheduled a cath 2 days later.
Knowing this would always come, I am not as bothered by the surgery as I am about being out of commission for a few weeks. It's driving me crazy to know I will be dependent.
I have several questions about what to expect regarding recovery time.
I am already inspired by this forum and excited for such a wealth of support.
any words of wisdom, insight, information, etc will be appreciated.

kat12

Back