Air Travel with CHF

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nikki

Hi friends,

Thank you all for responding to my previous quaries. I wanted to know how safe it is to travel overseas for a CHF patient. Please let me know asap, my sister-in-law wants to visit her home country which involves 27 hours of air travel. If your rememeber she had second surgery for AVR in March 2001 & also had MVR about 8 yrs ago. She suffers from CHF & last month was down with pnuomonia.

Thank you
God bless you all.

Hi Nikki-

Husband Joe had a difficult battle with CHF, prior to his mitral valve repair. He wasn't away from his cardiologist by phone for longer than a week, and sometimes a couple of times a week. There were duiretic adjustments that had to be made and bloodwork which was caused by these adjustments. Even with these, the condition was unpredictable at best.

I hope she is in touch with her cardiologist who will have to set the course for protecting her on the flight and when she is away from home. It's especially important in light of the pneumonia which she had. Tricky stuff!

Good luck to her.

Definaltey ask her doctor. Does not seem like a resonable option under her circumstances.

If there are concerns with edema....air travel will just exhasperate it futher unfortunatley. Have seen this in healthy individuals with prolonged periods of air travel.

Take care

In addition to which airlines have always been pretty squeamish about taking on board people with serious health problems and are probably more so at present.

Peter

Air Travel with CHF

Nancy, Gina & Peter,

Thank you for your advice. I shared with her. Anyway on the day she was to fly, she woke up feeling miserable and rescheduled the flight. I will let you know how it goes, since all of learn from each other's experience.

God bless you all

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back