Air Travel Post Op? How soon did you return to airport travel?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I saw a related thread on car travel, but I'm wondering about air travel and what to expect/plan for post op. I currently travel by air for work about 3 weeks/month. I do presentations, so I have a lot of luggage/displays to haul around (i.e. 50 lb bag is common). I'm wondering what to expect post op--how soon before I can return to my "regular" job of airport hopping and luggage lifting. If any of you travel this way, what was your experience? How long before you could return to this type of work comfortably/safely?

I saw this and was going to reply as to when I flew back home shortly after surgery (1 week post op) and had no difficulty, then I noticed you really are in need of disucssion of heavy lifting. There are many threads on this topic as well but certainly this should be guided by your cardiologist/surgeon. Hope others with similar experience will chime in for you..

How long are the flights you usually take? Are they coast to coast, or up & down the eastern seabord or to the middle of the U.S.? You may want to ask your cardio about any possible risk of DVTs or PEs post-op. I didn't have to worry about that because I chose a mechanical and was on warfarin.

Are you a status customer with several airlines (i.e., not having to pay to check luggage)? If so, you may want to stick to those airlines for a while. Sometimes your employer books you on the cheapest flight and you may have no status on that carrier.

I flew from Dallas-Fort Worth to Tulsa OK -- a short hop -- about 6 weeks post-op, and I was a little tired; I checked all my luggage. I flew again 3 weeks later to Kansas City MO, and we had a 3HR flight delay. I was really tired.
Flew again about 3 weeks later to Denver. It was better, but the altitude gave me some problems. That was 3 months post-op. About 3 weeks later I flew to California on Friday, returned Monday a.m., then flew to St. Louis on Tuesday afternoon for my niece's wedding that Saturday. I was pretty wiped out Wednesday, very draggy, but was OK by Thursday.
It took me 8-9 months to really feel "normal" again in consistent energy levels.

Thanks Pedimed and Marsha-
I typically take 2-3 hour flights. I always check a 50 lbs bag however have my laptop bag with files which is also rather heavy.
I'm just trying to figure out what to tell my employer to expect. I don't think most doctors fly as much as I do for work, so I wanted to get some feedback from folks here who have lived it.
I am a "status" flyer and get the perks of 2 free bags and often get bumped up to business class. However, that doesn't help me with getting the luggage in an out of the car, to the airport and the hotel. THe bags all have rollers, which helps. There are many times I am alone in the heavy lifting., tho. Right now I consider it great exercise. I just don't want to rush back in and rip something open or stretch a scar 'cause I tried to early.

Check your bags, except for your laptop. Is your laptop bag on wheels? If not, get one of those. I found a small one (by Travelpro) 7 years ago and have used that some. It's really an overnight bag, but works with a laptop, with room for files.

BTW, I found a great bungee cord deal that lets me hook my laptop bag onto my rolling Travelpro. Will take a photo when I get home tonight and post it so you can visualize it better, but here's something about it until then:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/travelEssentials?productId=10024935&N=257&Nao=16

It has really helped me immensely.

FYI: I've been pleasantly surprised at how many men rush to help me hoist/take down my luggge into/from the overhead. I've never asked for help, it's just there!

Great question drivetopless, love your username, gets me worked up (smile), may have had OHS , but the rest of me, well still works, thankfully (grin) and i just conjure an image every time i see your username...shame on me (smile)

I also have a high tech job in specialized business software with clients across our great big country and do fly more than average, although thankfully, web conferences and web tools has reduced flight somewhat..have not flown post op yet, nor returned to pressure cooker job, still a few weeks away methinks.

Did fly to a one week vacation to Jamaica a few weeks pre op, against cardiologist and surgeon wishes, which am now so glad i did, it did my head wonders to watch and count the whitecaps on the ocean.

but return to work is inevitable and lugging multiple notebooks and 50 lbs as well...so will be following this thread and reading my body to better understand when I will be capable to do so

Good luck to you in your assessment of being ready and let us know how you make out

Latest posts

Back