Afib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyD

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all I have occasional afib, I was on a holter recently for 2 weeks and again for 48 hours… my valve is fine, heart rate and blood pressure good, took a stress test and that was fine, for some reason my cardiologist is determined to get me on, Amiodarone which made me sick and now bisoprolol. I am thinking of getting a 2nd opinion as I am hesitant to go on the beta blockers.. anyone have experience with this? Ventricular Tachycardia was detected so I have an appointment with the electrocardiologist in a few weeks.. i feel very good and can exercise. I had a mitral valve repair in 2004 August 12th will be my 19 year anniversary so far so good.

I'm on metoprolol tartrate for tachycardia. Works well for me, my dose is at present quite low (25mg twice daily)

Unlike Amiodarone it doesn't build up in your body

The mean elimination half-life of metoprolol is 3 to 4 hours; in poor CYP2D6 metabolizers the half-life may be 7 to 9 hours.

the average apparent plasma terminal elimination half-life of amiodarone is of 58 days

I have been on metoprolol succinate for years. Before my surgery I took 25 mg daily for BP. After AVR, I had afib which resolved, but then had bouts of PVC's and PAC's which too resolved. After surgery, I was upped to 50 mg's 2x/day and did fine (over 2 yrs) until about 2 months ago when my resting HR wd dip into the 40's. I also experienced what felt like a fluttering in my chest, but no dizziness, etc. Cardio dropped me to 25 mg 2x/day and resting HR is now around 60 and fluttering is gone. I play squash and have no issues being on a beta blocker. I wd prefer a beta blocker to amiodarone or a similar meds. if its effective for your afib.

I developed A-fib and A-flutter after my OHS AVR (bio) in 2018. I was put on diltiazem. I had an episode in fall of 2021. I was put on Xarelto blood thinner and I had an ablation for both the fib and flutter in December. This past spring the fib and flutter came back in different parts of my heart. I just had an ablation for the flutter two days ago and I have one for the fib in a month. I am forced to lay low for 48 hours, and no lifting more than 10 lbs. for 2 weeks, but I feel good. Chances are I will be on Xeralto the rest of my life (I am 74 in 4 days). I was totally asymptomatic (I raced 5 Iron 6-man outrigger races this summer and was doing hard practices until the day before I went in for the cath surgery), but I was told that the asymptomatic A-fib can be the most dangerous, so I had I will have the flutter and fib zapped. I plan to be back paddling in late September. (I just hope that Xeralto becomes generic soon!)
Take care of the A-fib, whatever the doc says. You don't want a stroke.

How occasional are your AFibs or how far apart are the episodes. Ask him for how long he’ll put you on Amiodarone? I take metoprolol 25 mg twice a day to avoid a third A-Fib’s episode, which I don’t mind staying as it’s saving my heart!

I wd prefer a beta blocker to amiodarone or a similar meds. if its effective for your afib.
I think that its hard to get why (unless its the last resort) that toxic stuff (amiodarone) is even suggested as a first option.

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/amiodarone-in-the-aged
especially given its huge half life (as evidenced by my underline in the last part of the quote)

Amiodarone is a highly effective antiarrhythmic drug, but can have serious adverse effects, particularly in older patients. If possible it should not be used purely for controlling the heart rate.
If a prescription for amiodarone is contemplated, particularly for an older patient, consult a cardiologist. Avoid amiodarone in patients with significant conduction system disease, significant liver or pulmonary disease, or hyperthyroidism.
Regular monitoring of the patient, clinically and biochemically, is required to identify complications at an early, treatable stage. Maintain a high level of suspicion if a patient taking amiodarone is experiencing adverse reactions and presents with new symptoms.
Consider potential drug interactions when other drugs are prescribed with amiodarone. The effects and toxicities of amiodarone may persist weeks after it is stopped.​

Hi all I have occasional afib, I was on a holter recently for 2 weeks and again for 48 hours… my valve is fine, heart rate and blood pressure good, took a stress test and that was fine, for some reason my cardiologist is determined to get me on, Amiodarone which made me sick and now bisoprolol. I am thinking of getting a 2nd opinion as I am hesitant to go on the beta blockers.. anyone have experience with this? Ventricular Tachycardia was detected so I have an appointment with the electrocardiologist in a few weeks.. i feel very good and can exercise. I had a mitral valve repair in 2004 August 12th will be my 19 year anniversary so far so good.
Hello, I've had 3 episodes of Afib over 4 years. The tachycardia resolves on its own in all episodes. I had a 30 day event monitor with no incident. My cardio put me on metoprolol tartrate, (25mg per day total). I also take 162 mg of low dose aspirin to help with controlled high blood pressure. My history is attached. I would ask why Amiodarone? I'm sure you have.

Back