Activities vs. Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALCapshaw2

Here's another question for Coumadin patients:

I live in the country and maintain several acres including push mowing 2.5 acres (for the aerobic exercise) and thinning out trees in the woods. It's time to thin out the small / medium sized trees again but my Coumadin Nurse told me to NEVER use a chain saw while on Coumadin. Is that an 'absolute NO-NO'?

Professional tree surgeons want 'an arm and a leg' for their services and I've struck out asking friends. I've never had an accident using my small chain saw or bow saws. YES, I do recognize the risk and would not do this activity alone.

This is why my FIRST choice for AVR was the Bovine Pericardial TISSUE valve (and NO Coumadin). Unfortunately, my surgeon decided that a mechanical valve was called for in my case and he elected to install a St. Jude after opening me up.

Thoughts?

'AL Capshaw'

As long as you know the risks and are very safety conscience which I know you are, I'd go ahead and do the chainsaw blues to them trees. Just don't slip or put a human limb in the way! ;)

They want to warn you away from anything that may inflict a nasty cut or wound. I'd just wear extra protective gear and have fun. :) We can't stop living because we're on Coumadin. If your anything like me, there is no way you could afford to have someone else do the job either.

Hi Al,

I live in the country too, and 15 weeks after surgery I was swinging my chain saw clearing my tree line along my property.

I have great respect for chain saws, and was cautious. The main thing to remember is that no matter what you do in life, accidents can happen. You just have to minimize the risk.

You can purchase chain saw proof chaps, and also use Kevlar gloves.

You could get a serious cut slicing tomatoes in the kitchen. Does that mean you should stay out of the kitchen?

Enjoy living, don't stop doing things that you enjoy doing.

Rob

I too live on a 2.5 acre wooded lot. I use a chain saw on a regular basis despite the coumadin. I just keep my phone handy in case of accident. (I would regardless).

The only thing I've really changed since AVR 3.5 yrs ago is my alcohol intake. I pretty much limit myself to no more than 3 drinks per day, but from what I've been reading in some of our member's posts, I might try a few more on a special occasion. (Rob has inspired me.)

Hi TSH,

You made a great point. I always make sure to have my cell phone with me when I use my chain saw. It's a great safety net to have, it you are cutting alone! I once almost cut through my knee cap when using the saw. That was prior to my surgery. I saw blue jean flying in the air. Luckily, I only cut through the skin, and caught it in time prior to it cutting into the bone. I was alone, and if something serious did happen, a cell phone could have possibly saved my life.

Now on to the serious stuff... Inspiration to enjoy a few more drinks is OK,,, as long it is not prior to using that chain saw!

Rob

Rob,

Agreed. Coumadin + Alcohol + Chain Saw = Likely Big Bloody Mess.

I notice you are in Nashville. Did you have your surgery at St. Thomas? Michael Petracek was my surgeon there.

Ted Hutchins

Hi Ted,

My surgery was at Vanderbilt Medical Center. Dr. Pierson was my heart surgeon, and Dr. Passman was my vascular surgeon.

Maybe that's why I am still around.. I had 2 doctors working on me.

Both, St Thomas, and Vanderbilt are rated highly in regards to heart surgery.

Rob

I've heard good things about both Vandy and St. Thomas. I live in Paducah, a town in western Kentucky. My cardiologist recommended heading to the big city for the surgery. My wife is a nurse practitioner and she agreed. So, I wound up in Nashvegas. I was very pleased with my treatment at St. Thomas. I'll definitely head back if I ever have any problems.

I'm outta here. Gotta pick up a couple bottles of vino on the way home tonight. Cheers.

Al,
I agree with the others, just use a little more caution to protect yourself.
Some people are happy just to be alive and that's fine.
Others including myself want to live our lives.

Don't forget to watch the toe of the saw. A friend of mine had it kick back and opened up his face. Instant sinus drainage!!

You (AL Lodwick) raise an interesting point about the toe (tip) of a chain saw causing kickback. Are there any toeguards for chainsaws that can be added after purchase? Does anyone manufacture a chain saw with a toe guard?

Another question for you Al is: How much greater is the risk of a chain saw injury for those of us on Coumadin vs. someone who is not? Also, what would EMT's do differently for Coumadin patients who had suffered a serious cut?

'AL Capshaw'

I don't know.

That is the point I'm trying to make on the thread about warfarin stories -- nobody knows yet there is all of this advice out there.

I checked the National Library of Medicine for articles containing the words warfarin and chainsaw and got no hits. Then I tried warfarin and chain and saw and still got nothing. This means that nobody has ever written an article about how they treated a chainsaw cut when a patient was taking warfarin.

So if you cut yourself you might become famous - the only case study ever published.

Bleeding on warfarin

Bleeding on warfarin

I've been xraying and hearing about warfarin complications for over 50 years now and the only dangerous complications I've seen or heard about are those from internal bleeding induced by too high an INR and most of these were years ago when most patients were regulated with an INR around 8.I've never heard of any body bleeding to death cutting themselves shaving or from using a chain saw for that matter. I agree with Al and others in that I don't know where all this "advice" comes from.

Hello all:

This has been an interesting post. My husband is/was a general contractor. Post surgery, his cardio told him that he should no longer go up on ladders, run power equipment, etc. - Now, he no longer works, but his "hobby" is woodworking. He has a fabulous woodworking shop, that, when he is not too fatigued, he spends a bit of time in each day.

He has had some bleeds, but none from the tools of his trade. We have been to the hospital for:
urinary tract bleeding - lots of tests, etc., but was from coumaden
mouth bleed- went to ER as we had lunch, during which the roof of his mouth started to bleed, 2 hours later....to the ER
stubbed his toe - this saga is ongoing. Bad bleed under the nail, which he lost, growing in incorrectly, may need surgery.

So three hospital visits in two years, NONE of which were from tools/machinery etc. Now, it is true, that I do not take coumaden, and have not been to hospital at all in two years, except as his advocate....hohoho. I think that people on coumaden can continue to do the things they love to do, as long as they take cautionary measures. Keep posting!

Marybeth

Latest posts

Back