acceptance + upcoming surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuoricino

www.thoughtsfromabroad.com
Hello all!!

Me again, crazy BAV girl with asc. aortic anny at 5cm on the list to have surgery in Italy!! (hence the "crazy" part :p).

Thought I'd check in and give an update because around here, no news is NOT always good news. :eek:

So, back in May when my cardio said it was "time" for surgery, I went through all sorts of crazy emotions from denial, to anger, to feeling gipped, sad, scared and like I was at the end of my life all balled up into one. If you remember, one of the most "annoying" things I mentioned about having the surgery here in Italy (besides the cultural differences and language barriers my parents are going to have to deal with in the hospital, of course) is the fact that ALL the good surgeons take the month of August off to go to the seaside and work on their tans. :cool:

Well, what I had originally thought was an obstacle has turned out to be an incredible blessing. In these past four months I have been able to screen multiple surgeons, and decide carefully who to choose. My boyfriend and I took a week in August to go to Elba Island on the coast of Tuscany where I did anything but think about my surgery. And now I can't believe it's already September and I've already done my first of two "self-blood donations" to use in surgery. That means, in a month at the latest... I'm going under the knife!!

Is it weird that I'm excited?!?! :D I mean, who in their right mind would be excited to get their chest cut open? But the way I see it, I just can't wait to start getting better and not feel like a sick person. Plus, if it gets my parents out here on the other side of the world, it can't be all that bad, can it? :)

As soon as I get a date, I'll post it and in the meanwhile, I'm sending positive vibes to all of you who are having upcoming surgeries just like me!!

ciao

I was wondering about you the other day. Is it the surgeon in Bologna that you chose? I remember you were very impressed with him. I hope his batteries are now charged after his August vacation!!

Good - it is a lot easier on you once you accept it, and it seems you have been using the time wisely by educating yourself on surgeons, probably valve choice and all that stuff, too! You certainly seem to have found a good attitude, hang onto it, the next month or so could be trying as you get closer. Many of us have had to resort to some anti-anxiety drugs or some sleeping pills in the last few weeks, the waiting can be h*ll!

Are you by any chance going to the heart hospital in Ancona? I have heard it is very good.

Hi Cuarinco,

I, too was thinking about you the other day! I am glad that you got a chance to have a get away. It sounds like you are even better prepared now. Good for you!

It is wonderful to find the 'blessings in disguise".

We are all here to support you.

Make sure and let us know when you get your date.

You did your homework, you are in control until they wheel you in...then you give it up to the powers that be.....Godspeed...
Maybe I should have had my surgery in Italy...give me another excuse to go back again...lol
Keep us updated!

Ciao for now!
Linda

You sound so ready & so positive to have your surgery done & overwith. With that kind of spirit, how could you not win the battle! :)

We will be waiting to hear when your surgery is scheduled so please let us know. Until then, keep that positive attitude of yours going! :)

You're doing all the right things and your attitude is terrific. Sounds like you have a wonderful support system with your boyfriend and parents and your surgeon should be well rested after a month on the beach!

Please keep checking in with us so we'll know you continue to do well as you wait for your surgery.
Let us help in any way you think we can assist.

Latest posts

Back