? about dental work while on Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

I am in desperate need of major and minor dental work! My question is since Im on Coumadin does a dentist ask that you be off Coumadin before he will do the work? I asked my cardio about it the other day and he said if he does not want to do dental work while on Coumadin, cardio would ahev to put me in hospital for a few days and put me on a Heparin drip!! What a bummer. What do heart patients do when they are in need of dental work?Im almost 5 weeks post op, how long should I wait before pushing the issue and getting this done? I need a cavity filled really bad asap but the major stuff can wait (crown,root canal,etc)
Help answer this for me please. I need you guys expert opinions on this matter before my teeth fall out.

:D

Ross, I read those sites and got some great info! Thanks, youre the best my friend! We can always count on you.

:) :) :)

When it comes to Coumadin/Warfarin, check Al Lodwicks site for just about anything. He pretty well covers everything I can think of. www.warfarinfo.com

Unless your having multiple extractions or surgery of that type, be sure your INR is in range and you shouldn't have to go off of the coumadin. Use the info from his site if the dentist tries to tell you differently. I'm shocked at how many are using old time techniques or train of thought, that no longer apply to us.

Tis easier to bleed a bit then to stroke out! ;)

Dental work

Dental work

Alicia..My gums began to bleed really bad about 3 months post -op.I went to a peridonist who did deep cleaning on me. I stayed on coumadin and took 4 trimox 500 mg. an hour before I went. NEVER had any bleeding.....Your dentist will give you a script for it if they have ever had patients on coumadin before..You should be able to have a tooth filled..but the root canel, ect. I know nothing about. I do have a back loose tooth...Will find out about that in March..Maybe it will just fall out in my sleep.:D Bonnie

Bonnie, If the tooth falls out at least the tooth fairy might come see you :)

Ross: Thanks for the links

I am going to call my dentist Monday and ask them about getting that filling. Last time I was there they gave me a packet of Amoxicilin for pre-treatment so at least I have that.

Next hurdle, I see my family Dr Monday to confirm I have diabetes and need to stay on insulin or not. Wish me luck....

Rat poison

Rat poison

Ross -Thanks for the rat poison links. That is very helpful, especially for a newbie trying to figure out all this stuff. Your therapist has done a nice job with you ! Chris

Alicia,

I was so surprised when I read your question! Before I had my valve replacement, I had to have a dental clearance and my teeth cleaned. I ended up having to have 3 crowns and 5 fillings within 4 weeks of my surgery date. A grad total of $2800 that I had no idea I would need to spend! My surgeon wouldn't touch me if I didn't have this all completed before he would operate. The reason he said, was that once he opens up your heart area any bacteria from your gums/mouth can go straight to your heart and cause a masssive infection....like bacterial endocardidtis.

As I have said before, I never have gone off coumadin and have had my teeth cleaned twice and a wisdom tooth extracted since my valve surgery 20 months ago.

Good luck!

Alicia,
it will be 5 years this May since I had my mitral valve replaced with a St Jude mechanical and am on coumadin for life. Since the surgery, I have had 2 root canals, a wisdom tooth pulled, a cavity filled, a cap done and 9 cleanings. The only requirement is that I take 2000 mg's of antibiotic (amocicillian) one hour before the procedure. I take it withsome food as not upsetthestomach and I have never had a problem. I take the coumadin in the am and try to schedule the appointments att eh dentist for the am. I dont the coumadin until I return as it seems to cute down on the bleeding a bit.

I too ahd problems with bleeding gums int he am after I take the coumadin. My clinics suggestion, brush teeth first and then take it. Problem solved.

Any time you switch dosage times by more than 6 hours, consult your coumadin clinic for guidance. After a period of time you will know what guidelines they follow and will feel confident in making small time changes on your own. Just talk to them and let them know you want to learn all you can so you can take control of this and not the other way around. To a point, my clinic has allowed me to change dose, no more than 2.5 mg's, depending if I know I am going out and will be eating a great big, green leafy salad with all the fix'ens,( take an extra 2.5) or will be at the bar and having a few +. I have never had any problems and am with range. Most important thing is to workwith your clinic and you will be fine.

Jim

More coumadin stuff

More coumadin stuff

Good thread with lots of info - the only thing I didn't see was discussion of effects of antibiotics. They wipe out the bacteria in the colon that helps digest green stuff, making your INR climb quite a bit. (Illness can do this too), so don't forget to coordinate your dental work with a protime test. Anytime you are on antibiotics, you might as well take advantage of it and have that big spinach salad you've been craving. Chris

Latest posts

Back