A new comer with some questions on valve performance over time.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think sometimes the risk involves what happens along with the valve needing replacing. When told my porcine was needing to be replaced after 11 yrs, in 2001, I was 46. I was going to wait 6 mos, have the cardiac cath, and then the surgeon I wanted would be available to do it. Unfortunately, during my cath, the nurse gave me a fluid overload, put me into CHF, and I had emergency OHS just a few days later. I was a very sick woman, my surgeon said, and he could only address my leaking porcine valve because of my situation (BP90/19)! Then, in 2008, I got bacterial endocarditis from a staph infection, which caused me to have another OHS for a replacement of my only 8 1/2 yr old mechanical valve, and 20yr old graft, and repair of my mitral, as the bacteria had eaten little holes in the leaflets. So, even though I had both types of valves in 20 yrs, I had had a problem with outside issues, not really concerning valve risk, but life risk!

Back