8 weeks post-op - sternum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Hi,

I will be having an 8 week check-up with my card. on Wednesday. I know that I was told that I would be able to drive after 8 weeks while in the hospital. How is it determined that the sternum is completely healed? I do have Osteoperosis and am wondering if that affects the healing time. Although I am very anxious to drive, I can certainly hold off if it is necessary.

Kathy

Kathy,

The sternum can take up to 12 weeks to heal. I actually had a doctor who allow me to play golf after 8 weeks. As far as driving most doctors say 4 weeks, but keep in mind that everyone heals diffferently. Take care

I was able to drive after about 5 weeks. I, too, have arthritis but this didn't keep me from driving. Healing of the sternum takes a long time, but doesn't affect driving or most things - except lifting big weights - don't do that one.

The surgeon let me drive at about 3 weeks. I have no idea why there is a variation in the times. The sternum takes 2-4 months to heal, I was told.

Do be very careful when you start driving again. I found that it was definitely difficult to turn to look at traffic. I also found it very hard to concentrate on driving.

Thanks for the information.

I was told not to drive for 6-8 weeks and that the primary reason was to protect the sternum. I was also told to sit in the back seat so that I would not be in the path of the airbag and not to use the shoulder strap. I feel like a kid sitting back there.

Mike, I stood right up after reading your post and tried a golf swing sans club. My pacemaker seems to be in the way.

Jim, I am going to be very cautious about driving at first. I do a lot of carpooling, so I will leave the longer drives to someone else. I certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone else.

Kathy

Latest posts

Back