7 years post-op, high blood pressure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robojerry

Hi everyone,

I've not posted for a while, I've been getting on with life and generally not been worrying about my heart!

Its coming up to the seven-year anniversary of my avr. I went for my annual check-up on Thursday having had an echo in August, the doctor had a listen as usual, looked at the echo results and said everything looked and sounded fine and gave me the all-clear-for-another-year.

Then, however, he checked my blood pressure and it was particularly high (I don't know too much about bp but the top number was 150, over what I'm afraid I don't remember...). He's booked me in for a 24-hr bp monitor and said that if everything is okay that will be the end of it, if not I'll have to undergo a MIR scan to see if there is some thinning of the aorta/the artery as this can sometimes co-exist with the problem that I had with the valve (congenital aortic stenosis).

He said whilst the echo sometimes picks up this particular problem its not foolproof, but it would probably have been noticed in the operation and addressed then had it been existing. I'm just not sure how to take this, I really hope something that could have been solved a long time ago hasn't slipped through the net, so to speak. Has anyone else had this issue, or is anyone else struggling with high blood pressure this far post-op? It wasn't fully explained to me as I think he didn't want to stress it too much and I was a bit shocked to ask any questions, I just wanted to get out of there really and get on with my day (silly I know...) All the old worries have come flooding back.

It'd be great to hear from anyone regarding this,
Thanks.

Which type of valve did you receive

Are you on beta blockers or other medication

Latest posts

Back