7 weeks, and back to work!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhc1

I'm now almost at 7 weeks post op. Saw my cardiologist yesterday, and was cleared to resume normal activity-ride my bike, sailing, yoga, back to work! Rode my bike for the first time in two months last night-3 miles wore me out. The hunched over posture of a road bike is going to take some getting used to. I resume work on Monday-my 55th birthday-going part time the first week, and resuming full time the following. What a great birthday present! thanks to all for sharing your insights and support

Joe

Absolutely fantastic news
Out of interest which type of valve did you go with?

I'm now almost at 7 weeks post op. Saw my cardiologist yesterday, and was cleared to resume normal activity-ride my bike, sailing, yoga, back to work! Rode my bike for the first time in two months last night-3 miles wore me out. The hunched over posture of a road bike is going to take some getting used to. I resume work on Monday-my 55th birthday-going part time the first week, and resuming full time the following. What a great birthday present! thanks to all for sharing your insights and support

Joe

Joe: That's great news!

Make sure you continue to listen to your body and don't overdo it. I went back part time at 4 weeks and was in a bit of a fog. The next week part time was much better, so I went back mostly full time (leaving early 3 days for cardiac rehab) the next week. I was exhausted by the end of each day, which manifested itself as chills and aches that resolved with Advil. I'm back for another mostly full time week tomorrow. -- Suzanne

I elected to go with a tissue valve, and my surgeon selected a Medtronic Freestyle with attached root...I had a root, and ascending aneurysm repair along with my AVR. At the appointment Friday I got to see porky in action, through a baseline echo. It was somewhat bizarre to watch the inner workings of my heart, but somewhat reassuring to see it all doing what it was supposed to!

Congrats! It's fantastic that you were able to resume normal activity so soon! Keep up the good work!

Mail Man

the first week at work (1/2 time) was exhausting. I came home and took a nap almost every day. So here I sit, second week back, full time, feeling incredibly grateful that I'm here. Tonight I go back to small sailboat racing-a bit apprehensive, I'll admit, but looking forward to it. I continue to ride my bike, and am building mileage slowly. Looking back over my workout data, I can clearly see the decline in performance as my valve leakage progressed. Ain't modern medical technology wonderful!

Latest posts

Back