6 Month Check UP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealR

Well,

I am happy to report, so far, so good. Half my heart was re-built with two new valves, and can really feel this now. Not that I was missing something before, but the difference is amazing! I can walk up to 4.5 mph for over 30 minutes without losing breath, can bike over 28 mph, with ease, and am now starting to run. All the aches and pains, strange feelings and soreness are fading memories.

Even the scar down the middle of my chest is starting to fade away as well, needing a good second look to tell it was even there. My energy level is through the roof, and if it wasn't for the heart meds like atenolol, I would probably be doing handstands all day long.

Signing up for summer basketball and volleyball leagues, and I am 50. The only thing I can NOT do, is throw a baseball like I used to. Something must have happened during the surgery preparation and my right shoulder. Never been the same, can still throw, but can feel it in my shoulder.

I hope everyone will recover as well as I did, if not better. I know for certain, somewhere down the line I am facing another OHS, but for now life is good.

Stay well everyone and keep moving forward.

Neal,

You may want to talk with your PCP about getting Physical Therapy for your shoulder. Alternatively, an exercise physiologist (or trainer) may be able to devise an exercise plan that can restore your shoulder muscle function.

'AL Capshaw'

Recovery

Recovery

It's great to hear that your recovery has gone so well and that you are seeing such positive results from the repairs which were made to your heart.

Unfortunately, the results of valve replacement surgery often vary. Every now and then someone does a post which doesn't reflect the same kind of good news as your's. For some of us who were asymptomatic, valve replacement surgery simply resulted in continuing life as normal.

It's not uncommon to have some issues with shoulder pain after surgery. My AVR surgery was three years ago and I still have a lingering issue under my left shoulder blade which appears from time to time. I suspect it has something to do with having my chest split open and spread. Massage seems to help when the problem reappears.

-Philip

Back