6-days post op question?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravo64

My wife had avr (mechanical valve) 6 days ago. She is 46 yoa and doing wonderfully with her recovery. She w just extubated 3-days ago and already has been transferred from cicu, where she spent 5-days and was then transferred to a step-down unit for 1-day and is now on the regular cardiac floor. She wanted me to ask if anyone on this site who has gone through this same procedure, experienced the shakes. She has the shakes, which she never had prior to surgery. She also wanted me to ask about the "bump" or raised area near her incision. It looks like a big bump. Nurses and PA's keep telling her not to worry, that it's only been approx 1-week since the surgery and will eventually go down. Some other PA said that surgeons purposely do this so that when the body is done healing, you don't end up with a sunkin chest. Other than that, she is doing amazingly great. She is still currently hospitalized. Doctors are trying to regulate her INR levels before discharging her. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions in the coming days, weeks, months, once we're sent home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I had an area at the top 1/4 and above my incision that looked as if it was pushed out(the sternum) excessively. It was a matter of time and it has healed and is back to normal. My chest feels as flat and solid as it did prior to AVR. I think it may be caused by the extreme stretching of the tissue that was not part of the incision, taking its time to shrink back. I saw some pics of my chest opened up and could see the strain in the area at the end of the incision. I wish her the best in her recovery.

The bump is normal and will go away ... as far as the shakes go I don't recall any but there is a lot I don't recall ... AVR is like getting hit by a train, it takes time to recover... hang in there!!!!

Its real good to hear she's doing well. My whole incision was raised a bit and stayed that way until staples were removed. Eventually it flattened out but not sure how long it took. However half that length of incision was recut last week to remove 4 wires and it doesn't seem to be raised.

Shakes I didn't have, shivering though I got maybe once a day from feeling like i was freezing, while once a day also sweating from being too hot. Maybe the shakes is something similar, just a normal reaction to the trauma it received and is trying to recover from.

I had the large bump after both my OHS and it gradually decreased until it totally disappeared. No sign of it now at all. It is swelling caused by way surgeon manipulates his way around the top of the incision. Often they cut bone and tissue higher on the inside of us than they cut the skin. My actual internal incisions were considerably higher than the outside scar.

Similar to what Fundy wrote,
I had the shakes enough to really frighten me the first time and the nurse simply provided more blankets and I calmed down quickly and was fine. I didn't think I was cold but my body was shivering. This is such traumatic surgery all sorts of odd and unexpected things express themselves but the nurses and doctors and techs have seen it all. They know what to recognize as serious and what will likely pass on its own.

Sounds like your DW is doing great. Please check in with us when you can. I've followed your posts since you first came here and am very happy it seems your wife has gotten good care and shoudl recover well.

Remember to take care of yourself thoughout this process. She'll need you well and strong when she goes home. :)

Update: 11/14/12
My wife's recovery continues to progress wonderfully with no complications now that we are at home. I wanted to express my gratitude to all who have been following our journey. It was a godsen for me finding this site during the initial stages and comforting in receiving all the support from many of you on this site. With that said, Laurie is scheduled for her 2-week follow up with her surgeon this Monday. Laurie wanted me to ask those of you who have had AVR, what your limitations were. She was told to refrain from lifting anything over 2lbs and basically to take it easy. When do they recommend cardiac rehab? As far as walking, were there any restrictions? Laurie feels she has a new lease on life and is excited On leading a healthy lifestyle, however, she is concerned about over doing it. Can some of you describe how you handled your recovery and what specifically you did as far as exercise, diet.....? I know everyone is different and progresses at different rates, but she looks and feels great. All the home health nurses that have come to the house can't believe how good she looks and feels. We look forward to hearing your responses. Again, thank you all!!!

My wife's recovery continues to progress wonderfully with no complications now that we are at home. I wanted to express my gratitude to all who have been following our journey. It was a godsen for me finding this site during the initial stages and comforting in receiving all the support from many of you on this site. With that said, Laurie is scheduled for her 2-week follow up with her surgeon this Monday. Laurie wanted me to ask those of you who have had AVR, what your limitations were. She was told to refrain from lifting anything over 2lbs and basically to take it easy. When do they recommend cardiac rehab? As far as walking, were there any restrictions? Laurie feels she has a new lease on life and is excited On leading a healthy lifestyle, however, she is concerned about over doing it. Can some of you describe how you handled your recovery and what specifically you did as far as exercise, diet.....? I know everyone is different and progresses at different rates, but she looks and feels great. All the home health nurses that have come to the house can't believe how good she looks and feels. We look forward to hearing your responses. Again, thank you all!!!

Bravo,
I'm sorry I can't recall the specific details of what I did (I'll explain a littlel ater why I can't recall too much during that blurr) but they gave me a book, and some printed information and it all guided me with things to do over the coming weeks once I got home from hospital. I found sleeping in a recliner chair was best for me, and I would put pillows under each shoulder and slept semi sitting wedged between pillows. It is important to do some walking, but I recall taking it easy to start with, and had to pace myself, walking the lounge room, then walking to the letter box and then walking to the end of the street, but I just followed the guide they gave me, and once I had the all clear from the surgeon, (maybe at 8 weeks from memory...memory, what was that....I didn't have much memory at first), I attended weekly crdiac rehabilitation sessions, which was run by cardiac nurses and exercise physiologists, and they would give you a lecture, then take vital signs and weight, and then give you specific walm up and stretching eercises and then some cariac exercises, which all started really easy....it was frustrating at times as I had been very active and fit prior to surgery, but it came back quickly, and the great thing was that each week you would meet people with heart conditions and the nurses would provide excellent advice about all sorts of things, like the bump in my scar (now gone... as they said it would), how much weight I could or could not lift, and for me, the most challenging and unexpected thing of all...'pumphead".....a funny name they give for a condition caused by being on the cardiac bypass pump and being almost frozen during the operation (well, cooled to 34 degrees or something, which for us humans is very cold) .....a stuffed short term memory....and boy did I suffer from "Pump Head"....I would get lost in the hospital trying to find my way around, I could not remembr anyones name if I met someone new, and I thought I was loosng my mind at first, until the cardiac nurses assured me (with lots of friendly laughter and banter whilst they tested my pathetic memory) that this just happens with some people, and some get it worse than others....anyway, its all better now, but I would sometimes just cry a river of tears with the frustration. I have had an excellent memory all my life and have a number of degrees and qualifications and an almost photographic memory for detail and figures etc, but I was suffering from short term 'dementia' type symptoms that sared the hell out of me... and thank god its better now....they recon it takes a month to get over every hour you are under anaesthesia, and that was about right for me....so maybe it would be worth trying to get to group classes, and the sharing and taking with others in the same situation will be invaluable, and the cardiac nurses are just wonderful. They gave lectures on how to shop for good food, talks on medications, talks on exercise, talks on common side effects,a nd all sorts of things. When I started I was lifting the lightest dumbells known to man, maybe 1 pound, and when I finished I was lifting the heavest dumbells they had with ease ( I think it was 20kg each), but they guided me all the way, encouraged me, supported me, gave me practical advice and I met many others who would just share and chat while we tramped on the treadmill or rose on teh stationary bike etc. I now go to a gym now the cardia rehab classes have finished, and I hope to be back to my full fitnesss. I have a "Polar" brand heart rate monitor I strap across my chest and wear like a watch and that helps me target my optimum heart rate to get the best caridiovascular benefit during a workout whilst exercising and this has been great for me. Anyway, best wishes, keep asking questions and get well soon.

bravo64, lifting restrictions are for the most part to allow the sternum to heal which usually takes about a full year to be complete. But by two months the sternum is healed enough to be doing normal lifting. I had asked about my 24 lb cat lying on my chest and my surgeon told me even if he jumped on me'd I'd be OK, It's just that the claws might open the incision.

I didn't do any cardiac rehab, but heart damage pre-surgery for me was minimal. So recovery was basically from the effects of the surgery itself. However, since your wifes' docs were talking of VAD and transplant with your wife; there was probably significant damage for her. She probably should consult with some pros on how best to rehab her heart I'd think. But since she's doing great, frequent walking and breathing exercise may be all that is needed.

Basically all I did myself was walk. Short walks within the house often and two or three 15-20 minute walks outside. Occasionally I'd walk for 30-40 minutes. Also I did the breathing exercisees into the spirometer type of device once an hour for at least the first two months.

It's definitely good news to hear your wife is doing so well and so soon. That VAD and transplant talk didn't sound like the situation was good.

My AVR surgery was almost 10 weeks ago (it sure seems like a LOT longer than that!) and I have been in cardio rehab for the last 4 weeks. Rehab may have started sooner but I wound up having to call them to schedule it when the discharge paperwork indicated they'd be calling me to set things up. Most of my initial exercise at home was in going up/down stairs several times per day. Even though I felt pretty good it certainly took its toll compared to walking on a flat surface. I started using a stationary bike after a couple of weeks just to get some leg strength back and then started doing longer stints for cardio - this was prior to rehab. I now have a treadmill at home and use it on days I'm not at rehab as it's getting too cold to comfortably walk outside. I also used some light free weights to help with the upper body.

I had a mini sternotomy as part of my minimally invasive AVR and had a 10lb lifting limitation for six weeks post surgery. At that time I saw the surgeon for my follow-up and he cleared me for activity with no restrictions.

As someone mentioned earlier, I too found it easier to sleep in a recliner as it was much easier to get up and lie down in than the bed. This was driven in part due to the fact I was on lasix and had to get up 4 or more times each night for the first week home. Once I could pretty much sleep through the night I moved back to the bed.

Happy to hear your DW is doing so well.

Walk, Walk, Walk........ for both my OHS, the mandated walking as ordered by Mass General was the single best thing I did for myself. IMO, the benefit of simple walking can not be over stated.

Did your hospital/surgeon give specific instructions upon discharge?

Glad to see that Laurie is doing well. I would stick with the weight restrictions. It is funny but we don't realize how heavy a half gallon of milk can be, or opening the fridge. Walking is wonderful, but just tell her not to overdo it. I was lucky in that my surgery was in the Spring, so I would walk from my front door to the end of the block (about 500 feet) at first (1 week) then I increased by about 50 more feet each week. I too never really had any complications (I was lucky). By about 6 weeks my PCP said I could drive again, my surgeon only saw me once after two weeks and my cardio saw me at 2 weeks also, then said come back in a year. Most little things I went to my PCP and he was so calm that no matter what I told him I was feeling he gave me sensible answers. I hope that Laurie continues to do well. :)

Latest posts

Back