5 Weeks Out, my story, and Afib.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristian

Hi everyone - my first post, although I've been reading the forums since my surgery nearly 5 weeks ago. I thought that I'd share a bit of my story (seems to be a popular thing around here) and maybe weave in a few questions.

Quick background: I was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome about 20 years ago and had been seen by a wonderful cardio at Johns Hopkins. I had corrective surgery for pectus excavatum at age 16 and remember the recovery well. I had long suffered from severe mitral valve regurgitation and my aortic root was expanding. As I got into my 30's I thought that I was just slowing down a bit, and that the long Minnesota winters were starting to make me fat. (I moved here at 30, 5 years ago). I went to the doctor to get a refill on atenolol and was told to find a local cardio.

I did, and without any tests, he said that I needed surgery right away. I did a few tests with him - and did well - and decided to head back to Hopkins to get a proper second opinion. While things weren't as dire as the local cardio suggested, "it was time", as Dr. Traill told me. It was early July.

I knew instantly where I wanted to go - the Mayo Clinic. I also knew that I wanted to have surgery ASAP. Within two days I had scheduled the surgery and had clearance from my insurance company.

My procedure: I had a full week of pre-op consults with the fantastic team at the Mayo. This ranged from allergy testing (I once had a reaction to amoxicillin) to an ENT doc (to screen for bloody nose problems once on blood thinners) and of course a cardio and finally with the surgeon. I was really lucky that my Dr. at Hopkins had taught the doctor at the Mayo, who specialized in exactly my problems.

The only thing that I messed up was when they asked me about a history of atrial fibrillation. I had apparently suffered from it quite often, but I thought that it was simply anxiety. I answered that I didn't think that I had any bouts with afib.

Anyway, on August 3rd I had an Aortic Composite Graft with mechanical valve put in, and after about an hour of trying to save my Mitral Valve, they chopped it out and gave me a mechanical there as well. This was on my own orders, as I hope to only have to do this once, so I chose mechanical over pig valve or a difficult repair. Oh, I also had a bicuspid aortic valve so replacement was preferred over repair there as well.

I walked from the ICU to my room (private!) the day after my surgery and was simply astounded at how well I felt! I had zero stamina but I was walking and I actually didn't hurt much.

Two days out I had my first bout of afib. It was bad enough that my chest was very sore, and so three days after my surgery I was cardioverted (shocked) three times. I was under for this but it still wasn't fun. However, it fixed the afib. It came back the next day, but went away on it's own, thankfully.

After a bit of wackiness with the blood thinner and a stubborn chest tube (I accidentally disconnected it from the vacuum in the middle of the night, and gave myself a bit of air in my chest), I was finally released about 6 days after surgery. I got home, visited with friends for two hours and then pretty much passed out.

At this point I started assessing the various little complications that I went through. I had a bit of trouble typing, I had a number of ocular migraines, the afib, constipation (prune juice helped!), and one of the oddest complications - I had full body twitches at the moment when I was just falling asleep. I did have loads of trouble sleeping and I think that I was so tired that I was twitching.

Three weeks out I had a recurrence of atrial fibrillation. This put a huge halt to my physical recovery, as this time my heart was beating at about 130/140 bpm resting. They offered to cardiovert me locally and I scheduled it for a week later. Woke up the day before cardiovert with no afib, thankfully. That was one week ago. Since then I've had some PVCs while sleeping on my left side only, and I'm still pretty bad with stamina, but once I drag my lazy rear off the couch I feel great.

I do have reduced LVEF, but have been assured that it should improve over time.

Have others suffered afib after surgery? Again, I've been told that about 50% do, and the longer I'm out from surgery the less chance of afib.

Well, I guess that's it. :) Thanks for listening, and I'm glad to have found y'all

-Kristian

Hi Kristian,

Sorry I can't answer your questions as I haven't been through OHS yet. Just wanted to say hello and wish you a warm welcome to this great forum. I do know other members have had afib post-surgery and I am certain that they will chime in.

At this point I started assessing the various little complications that I went through. I had a bit of trouble typing, I had a number of ocular migraines, the afib, constipation (prune juice helped!), and one of the oddest complications - I had full body twitches at the moment when I was just falling asleep. I did have loads of trouble sleeping and I think that I was so tired that I was twitching.
-Kristian

Hi Kristian,
I too had heart rate problems post surgery and had several cardio-versions in the hospital. I went into Atrial Flutter (similar to A-fib) a few weeks out of surgery and although my cardio and an EP were ready to do an ablation, my surgeon suggested that I wait a good 2-3 months past the surgery date before doing anything so aggressive. I don't know if the same applies to you, but I think rhythm problems are fairly common and become less troublesome over time for most people.

Regarding your other issues in the Quote above. I too was on Amiodarone ( I looked at your stats page) and whether it is related to that or other medications, anesthesia, and the trauma of surgery; I too had little visual disturbances. I would see little flashes of light stream across my field of view. Sometimes it looked like a little flying insect and I would swat at it. Nothing there.

Another odd thing that I too had was this tremble or shutter right at the moment of falling asleep. It was weird but over time it subsided. For a short while I took Rx sleeping pills to help fall asleep and over time reduced them.

You've been through a lot, give yourself so time to heal, but definitely talk to your cardio about anything that seems especially troubling.

Oh and one other thing. Being on Amiodarone, you should have blood work done to monitor liver function and maybe a few other things and go to a good eye doctor and tell him you that you are taking Amio and want a good check up. He should know what to look for. Mine did and even sent a letter to my cardio about the results of the exam. You may need more than one exam over several months to monitor these things.
Take Care,
John

Hi and Welcome! I SVT, but I had it all my life. They finally did an ablation and thankfully.......gone. Many people have had this problem you are having. Best of luck to you.

Hi Kristian, Who is your cardio at Mayo? I know that my cardio there, Dr. Heidi Connolly, is considered an expert on Marfan's. It's a wonderful place, isn't it? I'm glad you are feeling better. It is still early days, so don't push too hard, but it sounds like you are having a good recovery so far.

I didn't have a-fib after surgery because my surgeon did a maze procedure during my surgery to prevent me from going into it because people with me condition have a tendency to go into it. However, I have been having other rhythm issues.

welcome Kristian, to VR. it is a great place to be. thanks for your story. we do have a story page and maybe you - and others - would like to post your story there, too.

Welcome Kristian, I lived in St Cloud Mn for 52 years. I moved to the Twin Cities to be closer to my granddaughters 6 years ago. All my brothers and sisters and parents are still in St Cloud. Good choice to pick the Mayo and congrats on a positive outlook on surgery and recovery. I have doctored with Abbott Northwestern and Mpls Heart for the last 30 years. Nice to see someone so close by on the board
Kathleen

Hey everyone. Just got back from the ER, where I spent a few more hours after waking up with afib again. At least it keeps going away on its own. *sigh*

kfay - my official cardio at the Mayo is Nasser Ammash but Dr. Connolly did examine the first echo I had there to be sure that they got the best picture they could, and then I got to chat with her for a moment afterwards.

kathleen - glad to see another Minnesotan here! I think I'd probably rather live in the Cities, but St. Cloud is a fine place to live.

I forgot to mention it in my long story above but had I known that I was going through afib so often before my surgery I'm sure I could have had the MAZE procedure and I think I'd be better off now. Oh well, ce la vie.

Kristian,
Funny ho these things pop up and you wonder if it is just you or if others have experienced it as well. I am very close to you on recovery - had my aortic valve replaced at Hopkins on 7/27 by Dr Duke Cameron. I had 4 home nurse visits and saw my cardiologist 4 weeks post op and everthing looked great. 2 days after seeing my cardiologist, I went for my first cardiac rehab appointment. Nurse got a funny look on her face as she was listening to my heart and hooked my up to an EKG. She faxed the results to my cardiologist and told me I was in A-fib. Followed up the next day and they told me it was A-flutter. Heart rate has never gotten high, been in the low 80s, just irregular. My Dr. started my on Amiodarone. After a week, she brought me in for a TEE and was going to cardiovert. The TEE was to check for possible clots and she thought she might have seen something, so no shock. It has been 2 weeks and I am still in flutter, although I feel fine. She is going to give me another week on medication and if still there, cardiovert.

I also had the body twitch just as I was falling asleep, but only for the first couple of weeks. I wonder if it has anything to do with the pain medication, as this was when I stopped taking it. I also had the occassional streaks of light in my peripheral vision, but seems to have gone away. Finally, my bottom lip was numb for two weeks after surgery and drove my crazy. I am guessing that might have had something to do with the breathing tube.

Otherwise, I am feeling well and see my surgeon on Tuesday. Took my longest walk yesterday, 4 miles. Chest felt fine this morning, but my legs were really sore. Think I will keep it short tonight.

Good luck with your continued recovery.

Kristian, do give yourself more time as this may not be so much of a problem several months from now. I had atrial fib before surgery and spells of it afterward as well. I was on a sodium channel blocker (flecainide) for several years. It really helped with keeping me in sinus rhythm but I started to have too many neuro side effects so I finally came off of it and I am doing quite well. I didn't have to go to the ER when I got a-fib until 1) I had associated pain or dizziness or other symptoms when at rest. 2) I had it for at least four hours at a rapid rate (over 130-140). I eventually stretched this out to six hours since by then most episodes quit on their own.

I was on amiodarone for a while too and I really didn't experience problems with it but I was only on it for several months.

Remember, a heart that has a left atrium that has enlarged or been damaged can be very touchy and set off atrial rhythm disturbances such as atrial fib. You are still very soon after surgery and your heart is still should be healing and changing for the better. I have found that when I am low on potassium or am battling some fluid overload issues I am much more prone to go into atrial fib.

Some people have atrial fib and by controlling the rate don't have problems with it at all. My dad was in it for more than 20 years. You are already on warfarin so you are covered there. There are also some procedures such as ablations that are less involved than a full Maze. I think there is a Mini-maze now too. Do they try to convert you with drugs (chemical conversion) before they go for the paddles?

Interesting story Kristian and it's good to hear more about the Mayo Clinic. I see that Dr. Sundt did your surgery. He is the Aorta Surgery Guru at Mayo so you were in "Good Hands".

If you have any more episodes of A-Fib, you may want to ask your Cardio about trying SOTALOL (generic form of BetaPace). Several of our members have had good success controlling / suppressing A-Fib with Sotalol which has WAY FEWER side effects than Amiodarone. You may need to be hospitalized for the first few days 'just in case' you develop any dangerous arrhythmias as your body adjusts to the med (or so the information sheet says)...

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Kristian and weclome to the zoo :D.

Like you, I also had A-fib after surgery, and I have a repaired pectus excavatum. My A-fib was due to too much fluid. The flluid eventually caused me to go into congestive heart faliure. I was readmitted to a hospital and stayed there for 9 days. I was put on Ammiodorone (not certain of spelling) for a few weeks after my release. So far, I have not had any problems.

I am sending you a PM.

Karl

Thanks everyone - it really is reassuring to read reactions to my own story and explore the forums. The docs can warn us but most of them haven't been through this and can't relay all of the little details that we can to each other.

Coach14 - I considered having my procedure at Hopkins, as I really love my cardio there, but I can not complain at all about the Mayo. I was extremely happy there and my surgeon ended up being pretty much the best I could possibly find for my problems.

Kristian - The most recent hospital rankings for heart and heart surgery had Cleveland, Mayo and Hopkins 1,2,&3. Can't really go wrong with any of those choices. That is one good thing about living in Baltimore.

Latest posts

Back