5 mile race

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

5 mile road race this morning. Already the 5th race of the year for me. That might be a record in itself this early. Not as fast as I was anticipating but not bad either. 52:24 or about 10:25 per mile. I was going to try for about 10 minute pace but right from the start I got off a bit slow at 10:20 pace. I really lost concentration in the 4th mile with an 11:00 but my last mile was the fastest in 10:13, so really it was poor pacing throughout.

Still, that's the best time I've run on this course in a long while. 3 minutes faster than 2004, 16 seconds faster than 2000. I'd have to go back to 1995 to see a better one. I need to find a couple nice short 5Ks in the next few weeks to get my pacing skills back.

Great job....5th race already! Down the Thruway here, we haven't had 5 races scheduled yet!

5th race already! Down the Thruway here, we haven't had 5 races scheduled yet!

That's because of our club winter series every other week through Jan & Feb. I was wrong though. I had gotten in 5 by an earlier date twice before in 85 & 89. It's been a while I guess, but I had done 4 by this point last year and many other years, so it really isn't that unusual.

The club runs are not always racing races. I seldom run them hard especially the 15k and 10 miler. I'm just looking to get some extra mileage in during the dead of winter when I do those. This is only the second racing race of the year if you view it by effort.

well, there it is. too cold to be out running!

Exactly. I have never done well in March or April because our winters are so nasty. Over the long term I have averaged less than 10 miles a week through week #6. Many years it will be close to zero miles for most of Jan & Feb.

But that wasn't really the problem this year. I had enough miles in the bank because Feb & March were somewhat nicer than normal. I think I over did it with the pushups routine last week and was a bit too tired to push hard. I had run a 4 miler in March at 10:05 per mile, so expected with an extra 4 weeks training to be able to do about the same for 5 miles.

Latest posts

Back