45 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you've made it so long with the same valve. My own valve, my mitral, was a repair rather than a replacement, but still it would be nice to go at least as long as you have so far and not have problems. Since I was late 45 when the surgery was (now I'm 50), I would have to be 91+ to reach the live longer post OHS than before OHS point. Also glad you're active. My own father, 79 (80 November 28th) is stuck in a convalescent hospital due to near inability to walk (mind is still there), and I hope you remain active and free of disability until the day God says it's your time. My mother (80 on November 13th) is quite fit and not mobility impaired at all, so I know it's possible. :cool:

Chris

An inspiration for sure.

If Skyler gets 45 years from his valve, that will get him to 57. That's pretty respectable! +14 would only get him to 38.

As others have said, your experience certainly helps others realize that surviving heart surgery is not the the goal, it's the many years of giving afterwards!

hello! oh wow that's huge!:thumbup: i just joined VR.org last week and i've been reading all the post and comments... my name is Kadz i am 32 yrs old, I am Filipino working in Israel, just had my OHS last May 26,2013 (2mos ago) Hadassah Medical Center (Jerusalem Israel). Professor Oz Shapira my surgeon. AVR due to Aortic Valve Regurgitation AVR-21mm St. Jude.On warfarin ACT. On my final stage of recovery. I am so relieved that you do not have activity restrictions it means i can still go back to work (although my previous employer fired me the day i found out that i need Valve surgery) I wish i arrive there too! happy 45th ticking anniversary Sir!

hello! oh wow that's huge!:thumbup:........... I wish i arrive there too! happy 45th ticking anniversary Sir!

Hi Kadz and welcome to a very, very good forum for information and support from "those who have been there and done that". You are very forunate that the Internet and forums, like VR.org, exist to take a lot of the "what ifs" and "what now" out of our post surgery lives. I saw your post a few hours ago, but I was on my way out to walk nine holes of golf....shot 41 from Senior tees with a Slope of 125.....not bad for an old man. There are a lot of long time valve recipients on this forum who have enjoyed many years of health after surgery. I am sure that you will do as well as we have.

To Agian...thanks for the compliment. I had to go to Wickipedia to find out who Splinter and the Mutant Ninja Turtles where LOL. My wife tells me they where very popular during our sons earlier years. The fact is that I learn more than ya'll do about the science and technology of OHS. Hopefully, I can help minimize some of the Warfarin misinformation that seems to exist, as well as showing that there is a lot of life left after surgery. BTW, in about three weeks it will be 46 years......."if the good Lords willing, and the creeks don't rise" (Kentucky humor)

To Agian...thanks for the compliment. I had to go to Wickipedia to find out who Splinter and the Mutant Ninja Turtles where LOL. My wife tells me they where very popular during our sons earlier years. The fact is that I learn more than ya'll do about the science and technology of OHS. Hopefully, I can help minimize some of the Warfarin misinformation that seems to exist, as well as showing that there is a lot of life left after surgery. BTW, in about three weeks it will be 46 years......."if the good Lords willing, and the creeks don't rise" (Kentucky humor)
When you had your valve replaced there were probably many unknowns, it being new technology. Fortunately, for us today, there are pioneers like yourself that have paved a path for us.

Back