4.8cm aneurysm on ascending aorta questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was admitted as an emergency by Ambulance and diagnosed with a dissected aortic aneurysm.

Whilst on the table they found that I had a BAV (unknown to me or anyone else at that time) and decided mid-procedure that they would change it for a mechanical replacement to avoid repeat OHS.

Was in theatre for 8.5 hours. Although I have never been mentally quite the same since, I am alive which is better than the alternative!

My advice is get it fixed - If it dissects then you have (if you are lucky) days rather than weeks to get it done!

Hi, I got a 4.7cm dilation, but in my root. Cardiologists repeated themselves that I should not worry at all, and that mist likely I will not need surgery for many years. Don't know whether this is because it's in my root rather than above it, as my rest of ascending part is 3.4cm.

Furthermore, they don't call mine aneurysm, but, slight dilation. And trust me, I've spoken to around 15 different cardiologists and surgeons! :)

I just had my yearly with my Cardiologist - first year 4.6, second year 4.5, this year 4.4cm. Now I know it's down to operator error so I'm not cracking open the champers, but now I know a bit more about the condition, I asked him about the dilation/aneurysm definition. He said that - like you - my root is enlarged. It would be classified as an aneurysm if it were a bulge. I imagine others would beg to differ, but I just thought I'd share his words of wisdom.

Latest posts

Back