3RD week and very little progress

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Miller

I must be the only Straight Valve Replacement that has gone so bumpy it’s like there is almost no noticeable improvement in 3 weeks! I've had the Lead legs, dizzy light headedness, and now there is swelling in my feet! I feel like I can't exercise for any amount of time because as soon as I start moving the heart rate jumps from 70 to 95-98 and stays there for hours even after I stop walking. The boost in meds seems to have helped it for progressing into a-fib every time but the fear is still there. There is some things that is getting better. The Light headiness, lead legs(they get tired easy still),and I can bend over and pick things up off the floor without completely losing my breath. But again the heart rate jumps to 95 immediately and the feet and legs swelling pretty much erases those gains. I'm putting all my eggs in the EP's basket next month. If he can stop the heart rate from going nuts at the slightest movement, maybe I can start a serious exercise program. They had cardiac rehab call yesterday and I told them I would like to wait a week and see if the meds will stop the HR from progressing to a-fib when I exercise. I don't know if the exercise helps or hurts and the Cardiologist said just do it you'll be alright. May this is normal for some folks but it sure doesn't feel right. Has anyone had this much trouble in recovery after 3 weeks? Sorry but I'm losing faith in the men with the white coats!

3-4 weeks is too early for cardiac rehab for many people. Six weeks is more like it. I know you've read some reports of very fast recoveries here, like Gymguy, but those are at one extreme. I got around OK after surgery, but it was quite a while before I could walk uphill even a short distance. Yes, many people have some "bumps" in the road, BUT my reading of your symptoms is that more may be going on than just standard somewhat irregular recovery. Ankles should not be swelling nor should there be dizziness on bending over.

You mention a-fib. If you have that, it can be incapacitating in some people while others hardly notice it. So, that could be a big factor in your light headedness, SOB, etc. If you continue to feel this way for another week, try to get into see your cardiologist. Or I think maybe you've had enough of this already, in which case, call the office on Monday. There is a tendency to say this is "normal", bumps are expected, etc., but what you report is not something I would be satisfied with. You may need to be very explicit about your symptoms to get proper attention so it doesn't get treated as normal bumps. If you have tried getting the attention of your cardiologist and are getting brushed off, you need to try harder.

I agree with Bill....it sounds like a visit with your cardiologist is in order.....
Keep us posted.

My Surgeons NP recommended cardiac rehab at 6 weeks. I think others are right, it's a bit early at 3 weeks.

I think I was feeling a little like you at 3 weeks...especially the dizziness. For me, it was mostly due to meds.

When it is time for rehab (my surgeon released me at 5 weeks), it helped a lot because I knew someone was keeping an eye on what my heart was doing and would stop me if it was a problem. I was able to quit focussing on it...I'm convinced my heart rate went up just because I was worried that it would go up. When you are ready, rehab will help.

Hang in there! I think if doctors are recommending rehab already you must be on the mend.

Don't get depressed or discouraged with your slow progress. People recover differently.....with some, they'll be up and around in no time, especially if you're younger.

I remember when I had my 1st.....I could have gone out dancing after my 3rd week but then, I was only 24 years old too! After I had my 3rd, that was a whole different story all together....I didn't start feeling well until after a year or so, but then, I was 55 years old....big difference!!! I'm not saying that that is the way it's going to be with you...I've had a lot of other issues to deal with.

Be patient with yourself and look for little improvements. However if you start feeling worse and worse with each passing day, perhaps a visit with your cardiologist is warranted. Good luck to you!

Have you mentioned the sweeling to the doctor? That is not normal for to happen unless you are on water pills and still experiencing this, I do at time. Are you still taking in salt, like in potatoe chips or other junk food ways? Ask to find out why you are still experiencing swelling. Otherwise, just take little steps like walking to get exercise. Just walk a few blocks everyday. You have to work the legs, you may have poor circulation in them. Just get with the doctor and find out. I am worried about you not wanting to exercise and having water buildup in the legs. Hugs for today.

Gary - I think I had all of the things you describe, and I don't think they had anything to do with the complications of my surgery. I think they just happened. They are not uncommon in valve patients, but some of them may warrant a visit, or at least a call, with your cardio. At our age (I'm 64), I don't think a jump into cardio rehab at 3 or 4 weeks is going to happen. I actually waited more like 12 weeks, but we wanted to be sure my pacemaker, valve and bypass were all stable. By the 10 to 12 week point, I was going back to the gym anyway, so rehab made perfect sense. I started out slowly and by the end of the 12-week program, I was back to about where I was prior to surgery. I did have some afib in the first month following surgery, but that subsided shortly after the first month. The fluid retention in legs and feet is common, and is usually treated short-term with heavy-duty diuretics such as lasix, and those nasty support socks (hated them). I used lasix, at varying dosages per my cardio, for the first month or so. Since then, I haven't needed it. It just got better when it was ready.

Hang in there. Try for a lot, but be satisfied with less. It will come back. Even with all the speed bumps I hit, I am better now at about a year post-op than I was at a year pre-op.

Things are starting to calm down finally! My heart rate goes up and down almost at a normal rate 63-67 resting. It hasn't been over 90 for the last 5 days and returns to the 60's a couple of minutes after I stop to rest. I haven't been doing anything very strenuous and walking very slow and only short distances. I just feel like if I can keep it close to a normal rhythm by not pushing it for a while, the a-fib will go away for the most part. The cardiologist did load up the ameoderine for 5 days 800mg the first day and 400mg the next 4 days, plus he threw in 250mg of digoxin daily for thirty days. So now I 'm with 200mg amerodine, 25mg metropolol and 250 of digoxin daily maintanence. I read up on the digoxin and it reacts to darn near everything i'm on now! metropolo, xanax, ameroderine and nexium. I hope I can make it the 30 days and get the rhythm strong enough to maintain its self and dump these dangerous drugs! I 'm still putting my eggs in the EP.s basket for a permanent fix if i can. I know there are lots of people on digoxin but it scares me as much as amerodine and metropolol. Did anyone have to stay on digoxin once they started it?

A-fib can Knock Your Socks Off! Digoxin alone didn't work for my post-op A-fib/A-flutter, although it seems to work for some. I was rehospitalized for a few days and put on a temporary rx of Sotalol (Beta Blocker) and I was on ACT for three months and I was also administered magnesium IVs, which are also supposed to help with the A-fib/A-flutter.

That said, I didn't feel super at three weeks post-op but at five weeks I could really see the light at the end of the tunnel! Best wishes for continued improvement. Give it some more time. Also, you and your cardio may gradually need to adjust some of your heart meds, as your heart recovers; because while the medications are important and can be extremely helpful, sometimes they can become too much of a good thing.

If you are cleared for walking, then by all means walk, walk, walk :)

Latest posts

Back