33 and looks like I'm up for a valve job

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lad said:
Hi JBR! My name is Larry, and I've been reading posts on this sight for a long time but I've never posted. I feel compelled to do so now. I am 50 years old and when I was 35 I had contracted endocarditis and also had a bicuspid valve that I was not aware of. I had emergency aortic valve replacement at Georgetown University performed by Dr. Richard Hopkins. Because I was a professional athlete (thoroughbred jockey), Dr. Hopkins opted to put a porcine valve in due to my occupation. Because it was an emergency operation, I didn't have any input about what type of valve to use, but I was happy with that choice. Unfortunately, six months later I developed a fungus and had to have the valve removed. This time I did have some input, and Dr. Hopkin's choice was a homograph which he would have used the first time if he had enough time to do so (I was dying the first time and it's a more complicated operation). Anyway, to help answer your question, I continued riding thoroughbred horses for another ten years before retiring. As an athlete, my valve was subjected to rigorous activity without any complications. It has been fifteen years, and I just had an echo which showed a minor leak that I have always had. I hope that this has been some help and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Larry

Larry,
I'm sure glad y ou posted. That's a very positive account of what your vavle has been subjected to and functioned well throughout.
Thanks,
Mary

Best wishes

Best wishes

Hi JBR,
I was 28 when I had my first surgery (1980). The surgeon went in convinced (and a bit arrogant about it) that he could repair my mitral valve (stenosis, prolapse, regurge) so we did not even discuss valve replacement and the options.
I came out of surgery with A Bjork-Shiley mechanical because the surgeon said my mitral valve was the worst he had ever seen and he could not believe I had not had more symptoms (occasional shortness of breath & pounding heart beat). The one issue that got me to surgery was an episode of syncope that they determined was heart related since they couldn't find any other reason.
In retrospect, if I had known I would have 2 more OHS (and I would have had a choice), I would have chosen a tissue valve. At the time, the surgeon said the mechanical was the one he chose because, of my young age, he wanted to give me a valve that would stay in forever. Ha Ha
HOWEVER, most people who get mechanical valves these days do keep them forever. If I were to have my first OHS today (or even 10 years ago when I had my third), knowing what I do now about living on coumadin, I would choose a mechanical. I have had no problems whatsoever with a coumadin lifestyle. I test around 1/month, am fairly stable and eat the same things I ate at 28 (except less because older folks don't burn it off like we did at 28).
I have occasional hematomas if I get clumsy and have to pay attention when I slice onions but, other than that, coumadin has been a breeze for me.
Just wanted to give you one more viewpoint.
Good luck on your visit Monday.
Gina

AVR Replacement

AVR Replacement

I am 31 and had my aortic valve replaced in February. I chose a mechanical valve for two reasons. I found out about my bicuspid valve and aneurysm one week before I had surgery. I had very little time to think about it. At the time of my surgery, my daughter was six months old. The whole thing just about blew me away, and the whole idea of another surgery within 10 years was inconceivable. I just couldn't fathom the idea of putting myself at risk of leaving my daughter without a mother at such an early age. The second reason is that my surgeon explained that since my aortic root had to be replaced, a mechanical valve would be a technically easier surgery. Also, my grandmother also had a bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve in 1976. She passed away in 2002 due to cancer. Her valve was still working very well. Good luck with this very difficult decision.

Welp, I'm back!

They gave me the option of being dishcharged yesterday or today and I opted for today.

My overall impression:

The worst part was the nausia. I've got such a weak tummy (i.e. reading in a car makes me sick, going on a boat when its wavy, etc).

The one weird thing that I have is I get chills and then I sweat (I've talked to a few cardiologists, nurses, and heart surgeons and none of them think its anything much). From what I read it means potentially infection, but I guess it could be reactions to: stress of what happened, how I reacted to morphine, percaset (sp?), heck maybe I got the flu. From the day of my surgery (Monday) until today (Friday) I'm still getting chills (where my whole body is shivering and teeth are chattering) followed by sweating (where I need to change). Interesting side note is today I noticed a small rash on my sides -- we are guessing its either from the sweating or the Linsporilin (sp?) I took for 2 days.

The worst pain was probably when they took the tummy tube out. That and one time the first day (when I could administer my own pain medication) I waited until the pain was around a "7" before giving myself a dosage. Later I found out you want pain medication at "3".

What I found for me -- get the pain meds at the very onset of pain -- don't wait until you really hurt and try to play catchup. I had to forget my worries about getting addicted or whatever. Other than that the nausia I had for a few days sucked. I threw up my first 2 small food/drink servings the first day (not pleasant) and had some hickups for a few days (also not too pleasant).

The catheter coming out was NOTHING. I was really worried about that but she pulled it out slowly and it was more like peeing than pain.

I have had no nightmaters -- on the contrary when I slept (which was rare) I had pleasant dreams.

I've had no depression -- just the opposite. I'm so estactic to be alive. I truly have a new slant and appreciation for life. I litterally am stopping to smell the roses now...

I'd write more about the whole experience but the wife is telling me my computer time is up. Plus I'm sweating again (I'm hoping this is ok). Haha.

OH -- I was blown away at how small and insignificant the actual sternum cut was. Its about the length of my fingers spread mostly apart. And very thin (just a small line).

Gotta run!

Welcome home

Welcome home

So glad to hear you made it home. Did you end up with a tissue valve?
It is my opinion that, if you take just enough pain medication to make the pain tolerable, you cannot get addicted. I have no scientific info to back it up other than my experiences. I just know that I kept myself comfortable and I was actually glad to get off pain killers - no interest in having the "dopey" way they made me feel continue.
I agree that the drainage tubes coming out can be a bit overwhelming. A couple of times I could have sworn they were pulling me inside out with the tubes. I was actually suprised to look down and not see innards peeking out.
Remember to rest and breathe and walk a lot once you are allowed.
Best wishes for continued improvement.
Smiles,
Gina

JBR,

Congratulations on the successful surgery, and all the best for your recovery. Thanks for the post-op info...

Burair

Welcome home JBR! As for the chills and sweats...many people here have experienced this phenomenon after surgery. Make sure to take your temperature regularly for several days. If you have a temperature > 101 or a low grade temperature that lasts for several days then I would worry about an infection. More than likely it's your body's way of letting you know it didn't appreciate getting spilt open, cut up, and pumped full of drugs. ;)

Thanks.. my elevated temperature is pretty mild (like it goes up to 99.5)..

Yep, I ended up selecting the tissue. I got a 29 mm one (my surgeon originally guestimated I would need a 27 when he saw me)...

My father (who is 65) is now considering the same surgery (they are telling him he needs to)...

Life is good!

JBR said:
The one weird thing that I have is I get chills and then I sweat (I've talked to a few cardiologists, nurses, and heart surgeons and none of them think its anything much). From what I read it means potentially infection, but I guess it could be reactions to: stress of what happened, how I reacted to morphine, percaset (sp?), heck maybe I got the flu. From the day of my surgery (Monday) until today (Friday) I'm still getting chills (where my whole body is shivering and teeth are chattering) followed by sweating (where I need to change).

LOL, I know how you feel. I'm 8 days post-op and people are just laughing at me like crazy because of my hot & cold swings. I can go from sweating profusely to shivering and back in a few minutes, but the thermometer shows that my temperature is stable, so the Dr. told me not to worry.

The worst pain was probably when they took the tummy tube out. That and one time the first day (when I could administer my own pain medication) I waited until the pain was around a "7" before giving myself a dosage. Later I found out you want pain medication at "3".

What I found for me -- get the pain meds at the very onset of pain -- don't wait until you really hurt and try to play catchup. I had to forget my worries about getting addicted or whatever. Other than that the nausia I had for a few days sucked. I threw up my first 2 small food/drink servings the first day (not pleasant) and had some hickups for a few days (also not too pleasant).

Yeah, I waited a couple of times in the hospital and by the time the meds kicked in, I was in agony, so then I just took my percocet on schedule. Since returning home, I've only needed them a couple of times per day, mostly in the evening when i'm trying to get to sleep.

And I agree that the chest tubes (I had two) were pretty unpleasant! Mine were taken out 1 day apart and the second time I knew what was coming, so that once was pretty nasty!

Glad things seem to be going well; hope your stomach settles down soon. I have a cast-iron stomach and haven't had any nausea, but I have virtually no appetite much of the time. It seems to me that it's percocet-related, but I try to force myself to eat a little to keep my strength up.

Tim

Hey Tim,

Man, you are lucky to have anti-nausea genes <g> My nausea passed after a couple days... But those weren't fun days. Puts the whole morning sickness thing my wife went through into perspective (i.e. that I'm a baby.. haha).

My resting pulse raised from its norm of 60 to about 90 (80-95 ish). It will be interesting to see how many months it takes before it goes back down..

My blood pressure is lower now.. before I was around 125/70 now I'm around 105/60.

I think I need to go on a 15 minute walk around the house...

Latest posts

Back