32 and confused re: valve type selection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still think you guys are being biased

I firmly believe tissue and mechanical are both excellent choices

Hi

cold be ... but in my own mind I'm trying to present the cases for mechanical when people are seeming to only present the cases for tissue.

they are both indeed life saving choices and I can see good reasons to choose tissue. I ride a bicycle to work (about 17Km) and people think I'm crazy to not take the car. I have my reasons, they have theirs. But it doesn't stop me saying to them they should consider riding a bike (especially when they complain they are getting fat ;-)

Obviously there is a bias towards what has been successful for each of us.....and that is OK, so long as our comments are based on OUR experience, not hysteria. Remember that many people visit this forum when they are in process of valve choice. I was "blown away" when I joined this forum and started reading the horror stories regarding warfarin, until I realized that the horror stories where coming from people that had no, or little experience, with ACT.....see post #27 on this thread.

I tend to agree with everything said by neo on post 27

As stated. Before both mechanical and tissue are great inventions and have saved many lives

They ARE As good as each other! It's just down to personal choice

As we have heard and said many times on this forum before....Any "new" valve is going to be a better alternative than the seriously malfunctioning one. :)
There are many reasons why an individual may choose one valve over another i.e. a young woman hoping to get pregnant some day. An individual who could not undergo another major surgery, pre-exisiting health conditions that would preclude an individual from getting one type of valve...and the list goes on!

Let's celebrate that we HAVE a choice in this day a d age. If we had our valve conditions back in the 1940's we wouldn't have had a choice on any kind of replacement or repair and eventually would have succumbed to the valve disease. Amen to valve choice. :)
Dick has eloquently summarized it:
"Obviously there is a bias towards what has been successful for each of us.....and that is OK, so long as our comments are based on OUR experience, not hysteria. Remember that many people visit this forum when they are in process of valve choice."

Wishing you all the very best with your decision, Fergus. Whatever you decide will be the best choice for you. Once you have made your decision, make peace with it and don't look back.

Last edited:
I asked my doc who was also my friend, he said go with proven, so I went with sjm reagent mech vakve. Same age and same scenarios I still feel it was a great decision.
I leave it to you, in india it is one of the toughest cknditions and harshest environs, I feel if it works here it'll work everywhere.

Hi All. Thank you so much for all these replies that have created a great discussion. I apologise for my late reply but ive been away for a week. Ill logon later so I can go through everything properly. Thank you again :)

Hi Fergus,

Aortic Valve repair - aged 7.
Aortic Valve replacement - aged 44 (human tissue)
Aortic Valve replacement - aged 54 (mechanical) - May 2013.

Noise of mechanical valve - non issue.
Warfarin - non issue.

Happy with valve choice - extremely.

I hope this helps, but acknowledge everybody's experience is different and valve choice can be very complex.

Best of luck and good luck with your decision.

Phil.

Hello Everybody. First of all thank you so so much to everyone who gave me much needed advice and words of encouragement here 2 years ago.
At the time I was in an awful state and you helped me very much. Thank you, thank you thank you.

I ended up getting a mechanical valve and everything went perfectly.

For some reason though I didn't want to engage with anything to do with it for some time after. Hence the very belated response. I guess its hard to explain all the emotions and changes so I won't even try but I just logged in today and I would like to help anyone I can from this point forward.

Happy Monday :)

Irishgus;n860042 said:
I guess its hard to explain all the emotions and changes so I won't even try but I just logged in today and I would like to help anyone I can from this point forward.

Happy Monday :)

While it may be hard to explain, it's pretty easy for many of us to understand all the emotions and changes as you put it. We know it all very well in fact. What you've gone through is a very major life event. A very real side effect of heart surgery is the emotions felt afterwards. Which I know I wasn't prepared for beforehand. Somehow for me it helped quite a lot just to understand and know I wasn't alone, that there's others who also know what it's like. It may continue to be tough at times in the weeks and months to come. This is a great place to turn to in those times. It has been for me. Here's a great post on the subject of emotions and anxiety after heart surgery;

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forum/post-surgery/853373-post-surgery-anxiety

Hi

good to see you happy and healthy

Irishgus;n785432 said:
Hi All. Thank you so much for all these replies that have created a great discussion. I apologise for my late reply but ive been away for a week. Ill logon later so I can go through everything properly. Thank you again :)

actually you may wish to make contact with another Irishman here who is a wee bit younger than you, and thrashing through the decision process. His name is Dylanm111

:)

Back